Elephant U.S. Import Permit Approved!!!!

Congrats on getting your ivory.
What kind of mount are you having done on the ele?
+1 on seeing pictures when you have your tusks and ele home.

Yes - thanks.

That's quick turnaround on the USFWS approval. Damn, now I'm going to want a elephant too!

Congrats to everyone on recent permit progress!

I’m interested in hunting Elephant next year. I have given it a lot of thought, but have no real concept of how to put it together. I share the enthusiasm of those who have and I'm excited about the prospect! I just need I need a little help.

Can someone guide me through the process of obtaining permits. If I follow this thread and understand it correctly, there are several steps. I’m not certain where to start or the order.

In no particular order:
*Besides hunting a country that has exportable ivory. As well as finding the right outfitter to hunt with.

1. Country of origin Export permit.
2. US Import permit.
3. Which countries are the most cooperative to deal with? Or have the least amount of risk getting your ivory back after your hunt?
4. Outfitters I should consider hunting ele with or you've had good experiences with.
5. Durations? Minimum and maximum days required?
6. Travel routes/layovers. Leaving San Francisco and could/would fly Emirates or Qatar. Unless there are other more obvious considerations.
7. Issues with rifle import export and permit process? I've only hunted RSA...
Anything I've missed?

I intend to start reading more threads/reports on the subject too...

Thanks in advance!

Congrats to everyone on recent permit progress!

I’m interested in hunting Elephant next year. I have given it a lot of thought, but have no real concept of how to put it together. I share the enthusiasm of those who have and I'm excited about the prospect! I just need I need a little help.

Can someone guide me through the process of obtaining permits. If I follow this thread and understand it correctly, there are several steps. I’m not certain where to start or the order.

In no particular order:
*Besides hunting a country that has exportable ivory. As well as finding the right outfitter to hunt with.

1. Country of origin Export permit.
2. US Import permit.
3. Which countries are the most cooperative to deal with? Or have the least amount of risk getting your ivory back after your hunt?
4. Outfitters I should consider hunting ele with or you've had good experiences with.
5. Durations? Minimum and maximum days required?
6. Travel routes/layovers. Leaving San Francisco and could/would fly Emirates or Qatar. Unless there are other more obvious considerations.
7. Issues with rifle import export and permit process? I've only hunted RSA...
Anything I've missed?

I intend to start reading more threads/reports on the subject too...

Thanks in advance!
Just my experience and point of view. While a couple AH people did their own I absolutely would not. Conservation Force do everything which was why I paid them the $2500. In advance they checked for me about both the country and outfitter so I could be assured I could get the ivory. I did this six months in advance, just me. I again absolutely use a travel agent and would not even try to do travel myself for the reason of potential cancellations that I just want handled for me given it’s Africa and problems happen.

When I took my elephant this past April I just called Conservation Firce and they took it from there

Just my experience and point of view. While a couple AH people did their own I absolutely would not. Conservation Force do everything which was why I paid them the $2500. In advance they checked for me about both the country and outfitter so I could be assured I could get the ivory. I did this six months in advance, just me. I again absolutely use a travel agent and would not even try to do travel myself for the reason of potential cancellations that I just want handled for me given it’s Africa and problems happen.

When I took my elephant this past April I just called Conservation Firce and they took it from there
Also excited for you @NIGHTHAWK that you will be hunting elephant!!!!!

Thank you. Very helpful!

congrats !!! I too have conservation force all lined up for my upcoming Ele hunt with CMS.
What are you having done with the trophies?

Does anyone have recommendations for US makers of wood pedestals/bases for ivory? I was going to have that made in Zim but the ivory shipped before I could get it done.

Does anyone have recommendations for US makers of wood pedestals/bases for ivory? I was going to have that made in Zim but the ivory shipped before I could get it done.

Get with @gizmo. Since you are fairly close to him. I bet he can make you some custom bases exactly what you want. He has made all the bases for my other mounts.

Has anyone else gotten their ivory without using an importer? It’s hard to make sense of $2500 for filing a simple application. If the PH in Zimbabwe has the license fee records and general conservation plan for the area what does the importer do to justify such a high fee?

Has anyone ediles and gotten their ivory without using an importer? It’s hard to make sense of $2500 for filing a simple application. If the PH in Zimbabwe has the license fee and general conservation plan for the area what does the importer do to justify such a high fee?
They have increased their prices to $3500 now. I am still going to use them as I do not want to take any chances.

Has anyone else gotten their ivory without using an importer? It’s hard to make sense of $2500 for filing a simple application. If the PH in Zimbabwe has the license fee records and general conservation plan for the area what does the importer do to justify such a high fee?
Conservation Force isn’t an importer. They’re attorneys who specialize in dealing with/fighting USFWS. They do so on your behalf if/when there are issues. Many times USFWS will come back and ask for additional info, clarification on something, or argue the details and supporting evidence isn’t enough. As lawyers who do this they can then turn around and point out where it was enough on XYZ application, or less was used on ABC application. They’re also the legal entity that successfully sued the Government when USFWS were essentially just sitting on the case by case reviews. You need to remember each application is on an individual Case by Case basis and you’re subject to the standards of the reviewing agent who pulls your application out of the stack. There’s no guarantee you get the same reviewing agent @Green Chile got or anyone else got. Below are your options

1) File everything and do all of the trophy shipping logistics and customs clearance at the airport yourself. If you’re a lawyer or have experience with these sorts of things you can possibly navigate it.

2) Utilize your import broker (Coppersmith, Trophy Shippers, Flora & Fauna, Safaris Specialty Importers, and any number of others) for the filing in addition to the trophy shipping/customs clearance logistics. Some have recent experience with clearing Elephants, Lions, Leopards, and Marco Polo Sheep while others do not. Some will charge an extra fee and others do not charge anything on top of their standard import fees.

3) Utilize conservation force for the Ivory Import at $3500 and utilize your customs broker to handle all of the trophy shipping/clearance logistics at the airport.

4) Handle all of your own trophy shipping/customs clearance at the airport + pay Conservation Force for the Ivory import filing.

Ultimately, it’s your money and your choice. When you look at the total costs of an Elephant Hunt, $3500 is a single digit percentage of the overall costs involved, but if done incorrectly those storage fees can rapidly start exceeding the Conservation Force Fee.

I did my own. I had all the info I needed and it was from South Africa where I knew they were approving applications. I would have used CF, but I was worried it would cause an additional delay. I used the e permits site to submit the application.

I still think going through CF is the safest option. It wasn’t about money for me so much as I didn’t want to get in line behind others with the backlog of ivory waiting for import.

I am using coppersmith to handle the actual import. It’s not worth my time to try to do it on my own.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the conservation force lawsuit is the only reason anyone is getting approvals. Your fee for their services supports more than filling out your form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emery50B70

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is jdfan@proton.me

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!