Elephant Import advice

Skshyk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been in talks with Collets wildlife taxidermy and CF about importing my elephant tusks and tanning the skin. I asked CF if I can import the tusks separately and was advised it must be shipped together with all parts. Collets advised me to hold off on applying for permits as tanning the skin can take up to 8 months and if I wanted anything made with the skin with them it will even take longer. I would hate to delay the import of the tusks due to tanning of the skin, never know what will happen in the next year. Am I being to paranoid ?
My question is can I get the skin tanned here in the states ? If so any recommendations on taxidermist. Once the skin is tanned, do I need to find a leather craftsman or do leather craftsman do tanning as well?

My ele skin was shipped before it was tanned. I haven’t found anyone to tan it in the States yet. I have multiple big panels salted in a climate controlled storage unit.

My ele skin was shipped before it was tanned. I haven’t found anyone to tan it in the States yet. I have multiple big panels salted in a climate controlled storage unit.

That is a situation I would really like to avoid! Did you not have it tanned in Africa to avoid the delay as well ?

I would have happily waited but with the ivory permit coming through so quickly it got shipped before I knew what happened. Just a miscommunication. Now I have hundreds of pounds of untanned ele hide panels and no good plan.

I would have happily waited but with the ivory permit coming through so quickly it got shipped before I knew what happened. Just a miscommunication. Now I have hundreds of pounds of untanned ele hide panels and no good plan.
Will The Wildlife Gallery or H&H not touch it?

I am only having the tusks and one ear with a map of Africa painted on it. I receive my US approval. I don’t think I have to wait 8 months for the ear from Collets do I? I am not having anything else done no skin panels

They usually ship it together with ivory.

Don't ask me. My permit is taking an eternity, and there was PLENTY of time to get everything tanned, etc.

I also took my own personal bull this year. Aside from the skull and ivory, I also have 4 large panels, trunk skin, and both ears that need to be tanned and thinned. I will be following along here to gain any wisdom as well. Thank you.

I also took my own personal bull this year. Aside from the skull and ivory, I also have 4 large panels, trunk skin, and both ears that need to be tanned and thinned. I will be following along here to gain any wisdom as well. Thank you.
You kept the ele skull? I haven't done that yet. To me, the ultimate would be a euro mount of a big tusker...like having a wooly mammoth on the wall.

Just to show you some sense of the bulk/volume/weight of untanned ele panels...this is hundreds of pounds.

IMG_8271.JPG

You kept the ele skull? I haven't done that yet. To me, the ultimate would be a euro mount of a big tusker...like having a wooly mammoth on the wall.
Yes sir, I kept the skull. I always wanted one and this one has some interesting character and memories.

My plan is to have the ivory collared at the base of the tusks with brass or German silver, then I'll have a pair of bases made that I can slide the tusks onto if I want to display them standing. The skull I will have around as a general curio but also have a wall mount where I can secure the tusks in their sockets and have it hanging as you described. I enjoy versatility and I think there are many different ways to display an elephant that are unique and interesting.

Attachments

• IMG-20240921-WA0007(1).jpg
    IMG-20240921-WA0007(1).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 8
Just to show you some sense of the bulk/volume/weight of untanned ele panels...this is hundreds of pounds.

View attachment 640432
That's a lot of hide ! My shipment will be similar. When did you apply for your import permits and how long did it take for them to be approved?

P.s. I'll be looking around for someone to tan my hides as well so if I find someone, I'll be sure to pass their info on to you.

That's a lot of hide ! My shipment will be similar. When did you apply for your import permits and how long did it take for them to be approved?

P.s. I'll be looking around for someone to tan my hides as well so if I find someone, I'll be sure to pass their info on to you.
mine only took four months using CF. I took my bull in April this year with approval at end of August

@gizmo has a US source for tanning. I'm going to explore that option. He also has an artist that might be able to do ele ear paintings, etc. We are going to look into that. I will share more of the results.

I kept the skull, both ears, all 4 feet, hide and femur! I can't imagine what the shipping is going to be. Not to mention my buffalo, waterbuck, and eland is still at Collets but as I always say.......
aac52293-4a5f-4051-90ce-c0c9c79f344a_text.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!