Elephant Hunting: Zimbabwe vs Mozambique

All, since I’ve done a Non-trophy bull hunt I thought I’d chime in about Lin Stanton’s post. While I did not hunt non-trophy elephant with Lin (I did this in 1986 with Roy Vincent on Matetsi 3) the concept is valid.

A non-Trohpy bull elephant can be an excellent hunt! While most non-trophy hunts take a younger, smaller bull; you can focus on an older bull with broken tusks and have every bit as good a hunt as you might get with a 60 lb. Bull. My non-trophy bull hunt was such a hunt. We found a big, old bull that had broken both tusks near the lip. He was transitioning from his 5th to 6th molar, probably in his mid 40’s age-wise. We stalked in close and the bull sensed our presence, turning to face us at about 25 yards. I was set up on the sticks with my Rigby double in 470 NE. The bull presented a classic frontal brain shot, but we had one very big problem…

There was a mopane tree centered between the bull’s eyes and I had no shot! We had quite a stare down that lasted an uncomfortably long time and finally the bull spun to depart. I came off the sticks and brained the bull as he was spinning away from us, my bullet actually entering just behind the right ear and dumping the bull instantly.

I highly recommend a non-trophy bull elephant, especially if you can hunt for a fully mature bull such as Lin offers. On a mature bull, the size of the ivory has nothing to do with the quality of the hunt. It’s a fantastic hunt!
If I ever take another elephant it will be a non-trophy bull in an area that can offer an older age class. I took a trophy this year on his last set of teeth. It adds some stress to the hunt looking for a trophy opposed to focusing on the experience.

For what its worth, the rough difference for the trophy fees for an elephant paid to campfire or rural district councils is roughly $11,000 non-exportable / non-trophy, versus $13,000 for exportable trophy bull.

For those reasons, I don’t particularly understand going on a $25,000-$40,000 hunt and then saving $2000 to do a non-exportable.
I believe you have a different method of booking hunts in Zimbabwe than most of us. Most of us are going to book with an outfitter who holds an area or has bought quota there. The difference in trophy fee might be minimal depending on the outfitter and area but typically the difference in daily rate is significant. Typically the better the area the larger the difference in price becomes.

Last edited:
My son, Noah (16), and I are starting to plan our next Africa safari. I have hunted SA 6 times and he has been with me on 2 of those trips which included multiple Buffalo and Lion. We are ready to hunt a new country and have started researching Elephant in Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Would be interested in the groups thoughts on the differences between these two countries for exportable elephant hunting from price, size of elephant to expect, and any other factors you would use to determine which country you would choose.

All My Best,

Derek
As others have said, Conservation Force doesn't list Moz for Elephant. I believe that might change in the very near future as I believe there are several pending permits right now. Given there haven't been any approvals in recent times from Moz I'm sure there are several requests for additional information and/or appeals pending. Lion (Niassa Only) was recently imported. With that said, Moz would get crossed off my list for the time being until some other hunters with more money than I started getting approval.

That said, I'd look at Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, or Botswana. I left Tanzania out due to costs. I think Zimbabwe and Namibia are relatively close cost wise. Zambia is in the middle and Botswana tends to be the most expensive but offers the most realistic chance at a big bull. Namibia produces some huge bulls as well, but those areas tend to bring more of a premium and are inline with Botswana cost wise. If you're flexible, you can hold out and possibly get a last min/end of year Botswana hunt (in a premium area like NG35 70-80lb potential - Regularly $75K+) for similar costs as a Zimbabwe hunt like Lin described

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvaPino575

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]