Elephant hunting Paranoid

I just got back from an Elephant Hunt in the Caprivi Strip Sunday…
don’t overthink it lol..
go have fun and enjoy your hunt and experience.
enjoy the search…the tracking…
enjoy being near and around magnificent elephant
you will have a great experience
Be confident in yourself and your experience.
imagine that moment in your mind and simply execute when you get your opportunity.
I probably saw 300+ Elephant (mostly in the Parks) and had a great hunt
what area are you hunting?
Good day.

Thank you ! I find your post Reassuring and uplifting I’ll be hunting Caprivi as well no no clue about the area.

Do not assume others mistakes will be your own.
There are myriad car crashes every day and you still get in your car. Drive defensively and get home every day.

You've trained, now put it into practice. Good luck.

Don’t know why but I think so to. Nevertheless, why do you suggest so, maybe we have different reasons.
Big ol target that is easier to visualize and moves around less helps minimize the trepidation of things going wrong.
When in doubt, I always tell myself that whatever I'm aiming at is a cow elk for the freezer. Silly but works for me.
Good luck and definitely listen to the PH and you'll have a great hunt.

If you have never been around elephants on foot. May I suggest that you find the nearest zoo that has them.
Sure there behind bars and your safe. But take some ear plugs to drown out all the background noise’s and just focus on one elephant go through your shot placements then do the same on the next. Walk away turn around and do the same exercise again. It should get you in the right frame of mind to not only enjoy your hunt but not be surprised by at there shear size.
Most people can’t get there heads around how big there are, how quiet there can be, how invisible they can be and how bloody fast they can move.

Then take your self off to the panda pen and have a good laugh. :LOL:

I have never hunted elephant. But, I have shot competitively at the international level, and done well. I go through all the emotions you are going through before every large competition. Here are my two cents on how to manage these emotions.

What you are experiencing is doubt, and specifically doubt not necessarily in your ability, but also in the situation you may be faced with. This doubt can unhinge top tier competitive shooters, and hunters chasing quarry alike. In competitive shooting circles we all practice and are coached on mental management to help us shoot our best, and these practices translate directly to hunting situations.

So, here are three mental management things you can do, that will directly help you face the pressure you are putting on yourself:
1. Four square breathing. This is a relaxation technique that is proven to lower your stress levels and heart rate. If you find yourself getting amped up, fast heart rate and such, simply follow this pattern for 30-60 seconds. Breath in slowly over 4 seconds. Hold your breath for 4 seconds. Breath out slowly for 4 seconds. Hold and empty breath for 4 seconds, and repeat. If you repeat this cycle 2-4 times your body will calm down. You can do this in the last few mins before you encounter your animal, or any time you find you are stressing over the hunt.
2. Visualization. Your body tends to make happen, what your mind fixated on happening. So you need to teach your mind to see the best possible outcome. How can you do this? Well every night before you go to bed, and every morning before you get out of bed, simply lie in a comfortable position, close your eyes and remember a hunt that went well. One where you remember taking the shot, knowing the shot was great, and then walking up to the animal and seeing that the shot was great. You need to remind your brain that you are 100% capable of making great shots. Then visualize the hunt on the elephant, see it in your mind, see the elephant, imagine yourself putting the sight perfectly on the elephant, taking the perfect shot, and the elephant dropping on the spot. Imagine it from any different angles, and the shot always being perfect. What you are doing here is training your mind to take the prefect shot. Do in the morning and at night, and during any nap or anything mid day. If you train your mind to see and take the perfect shot, your body will execute your minds will when the time comes.
3. Calming thoughts. Right before you are going to be in a shooting position, imagine a calming scene. For me I imagine a wave (which I identify as stress) washing over me, but as the water leaves, I remain. I imagine the water washing away my stress, and a relaxed version of myself remaining. I practice this imagination technique right before I step onto the berm to shoot a match. It only takes 5-10 seconds and it 100% centers me before shooting.

I can tell you that mentally, these three things will help you shoot better regardless if it is at a competition or at an animal. remember that if that first shot is a good one, all the worries you have disappear.
And if you have time, I would recommend getting and reading this book: "with winning in mind - by Lanny Basham" It was written by an Olympic gold medal shooter on how he managed his mind to make perfect shoots.

The key to all of this is to make that first perfect shot. Oh... and listening to your PH!

Good day everyone; I write this post since I believe am trapped in a spiral of negative emotions instead of excitement……

I am leaving for Namibia in 03 days to trophy elephant hunt ; which is a new for me (I have hunted Rhino, Lion, Buffalo (02) and hippo). So about a month ago I began watching YouTube videos of elephant hunting and began reading 02 books one of them a really good one (white hunters). Well in all the videos either the elephant charges or it doesn’t drop to the head shoot; besides in the book all the top PH’s of the time end up dead while elephant hunting.

So now all I think of is negative pessimistic crap which ends up bad for me. It does not help that a grind which organices hunts for clients in Europe with outfitters in Africa how had a client hunting in Namibia, placed a shoot tracked the elephant but the elephant crossed to Botswana and he lost the animal, the hunt and his money of course.

So I would like to hear from those that have elephant hunt in okabango in Botswana or Namibia your opinion if I am falling in a paranoid spiral and I should relax or if indeed I have sign up for something that requires to write my will…….

So the truth now please!
You will be fine. The vast majority of elephant hunts go according to plan. The problem hunts get more attention.

Use enough gun and practice. You can’t limit yourself to only certain shots. On my Botswana hunt, I took a very close side brain shot on a walking elephant using a 458 Lott. Although not perfectly brained, the bull went down and I kept shooting, including a rear hip shot to further anchor the big bull. An elephant can’t walk without both rear legs. As others have said, study anatomy and videos. Even though my elephant was only 200 yards from the border of the area, my PH never fired a shot because I just kept shooting.

If you weren’t a little mindful of the possible danger, you would be a fool. Mitigate your fear by being knowledgeable, prepared and use proper equipment. Good luck!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RegenaBles

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.