EAW Pivot Mount DIY Install

No punch. Just turning the screw moves the block under the ring. That’s the point, the screws move the block left and right.

There’s something wrong with my ring then, it doesn’t do anything, just unscrews and comes out just like the left side screw. Nothing moves except the screw.

If I tighten it with the other side screw out, it comes to a dead stop to the point of stripping the flathead slot so I stop. Nothing moves. Maybe it’s frozen?

Last edited:
Perhaps seized. Take both screws out and understand the function. One of the screws pushes one way, the other the opposite. They do have a max travel distance each. When windage is correct, both are tightened to lock the setting. The ring is dovetailed into the moving base block the screws are in.

If it’s seized, irrigate with Kroil and drift it the correct way with one of the two directional screws.

Perhaps seized. Take both screws out and understand the function. One of the screws pushes one way, the other the opposite. They do have a max travel distance each. When windage is correct, both are tightened to lock the setting. The ring is dovetailed into the moving base block the screws are in.

If it’s seized, irrigate with Kroil and drift it the correct way with one of the two directional screws.

Thanks, I figured that’s how it worked and it does appear to be seized. I’ll soak it in Kroil for a few days and see if it will loosen up.

Here is mine. Not AEW, but very similar.

There is one point to be addressed. If the rifle has iron sights, it may happen that basis of the scope mounts visually cover the iron sights.
In my case, my gunsmith fitted a steel doubler under the rear sight (photo no. 1), and later installed the bases and scope.

Photo no 4 shows iron sights elevated after installation, when looking over the scope mount bases.

Later, we took the rifle to the range and first zeroed the iron sights - by changing front sight of different heights. When this was done, then scope was zeroed.
1 Rear sight.jpg
2 front sight.jpg
3 swing mount base close up.jpg
5 scope being installed half way.jpg
4 rear sight over the scope bases.jpg
6 scope installed.jpg

I don't have any problem seeing the sights with the scope off, there is just enough clearance.

I soaked the rear base overnight in Kroil with the screws out, and it's still stuck like chuck. No movement whatsoever.

I can see how it is supposed to work, there is a dovetail that holds the elevation block onto the bottom rear ring. It is seized tight though, it's as if the prior owner soldered or epoxied them together. Zero movement in either direction. All I need is about 1-2mm movement to the right and I'd be good to go. I guess I'll have to call NECG this afternoon. Will probably need new parts as I've tried everything to get it loose without success.

I can see how it is supposed to work, there is a dovetail that holds the elevation block onto the bottom rear ring. It is seized tight though, it's as if the prior owner soldered or epoxied them together. Zero movement in either direction. All I need is about 1-2mm movement to the right and I'd be good to go. I guess I'll have to call NECG this afternoon. Will probably need new parts as I've tried everything to get it loose without success.

Send me a PM with the Ring height, windage block height, finish type, etc. I may have the EAW parts you need, saving you from spending $250 or more for a single ring new.

I can see how it is supposed to work, there is a dovetail that holds the elevation block onto the bottom rear ring. It is seized tight though, it's as if the prior owner soldered or epoxied them together.
I am not sure if the comment is made for my rifle.
But, let me explain.

ZKK rifle has dovetail. Typical for Brno and CZ rifles (till phasing out this feature with new CZ600)
So, yes, swing mount bases are slipped to the dove tail. Pretty much tight by itself.
Dovetail is not typical for most of other factory rifles. Some will be drilled and tapped only.

My rifle, being 375 H&H (magnum power and recoil), we went a step further.
From top of the bases there are holes for securing screws.
Original hole was (if I remeber correctly) 3mm threaded.
We drilled 4 mm holes, and threaded to take stronger screws, to tackle better recoil issue
After that, all was glued.

For maximum durability, my rings are of magnum type, It means first made of steel, secondly, there is 6 screws on front ring, for better hold.

Sounds like a very solid mount. After talking with rookhawk, I’ve determined the windage mechanism is seized on my rear ring so it looks like I’ll be replacing it with a new one.

He also showed me the RMR plate adapter which EAW makes for this system, will definitely be adding one of those to the kit!

In any case EAW is top quality product, I am certain you will be satisfied

Mark at NECG asked me to send him my seized rear ring, and he will fix it so I can adjust the windage. Here it is when I had it mounted up:

Also, I got the EAW RMR adapter plate and this thing was a breeze to setup. I got this Vortex Venom bore-sighted and will see how it stands up to the 458's recoil. I like it a lot.

IMG_3087.jpg
IMG_3117.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I already got my ring back, Mark from NECG is the man. Was able to final mount my scope and get it bore sighted in this morning.

I’m now eyeing another EAW setup for one of my Sakos. What a cool system this is!

I needed a set for a 33 year-old Heym Express, which don’t exist in nature. Mark had a set to me from Germany in 13 days flat. They’re not free, but what a clever system.

My install was very straight forward but the Heym is square and the holes are drilled at the factory. Fairly conventional install other than tuning the tension on the front ring, which was simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinaFra

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with