Eastern Cape vs. Limpopo

Dont know if its just in the areas I hunt, but have had many run ins with Cape Cobra in the EC while hunting. We may lack the Mamba, but we have his friend the tick in great numbers:D

Are you close to the coast? I might get 10 on me the entire year doing about 220 days hunting a year. That's excluding the 10,000 I take off hunting something at the coast. I don't count those.
 
Oh, by the way just something interesting that I have been trying to find more info on, don't want to hijack the thread with snakes. Last on the snakes from me. In camp I have a snake book that covers the snakes of Southern Africa, with good info on what type of venom they carry, how dangerous they are, geographical distribution, prey as well as enemies. Under the Puff Adder section for enemies, it has Warthogs listed.
What I want to know if anybody else in the world have pigs that pose a threat to any your country's snakes? What would a warthog want with a Puff Adder? I know Warthogs are omnivorous, but are pretty sure that they don't actively hunt for meat, unlike Bushpigs.
 
20km off the coast, little bastards get in everywere:sneaky: I use more dog shampoo than the dog does durring hunting season:D
 
May have more to do with the fact that puffys like to use the Warthog burrows, dont think the pigs like sharring their digs;)
 
Hunting in venomous snake areas is like adding seasoning to good meat, it just makes the adventure better!

Two trips to South Africa, one to Zimbabwe , I've seen two live puff adders and one dead one and we were deliberately looking for snakes while we were plains game hunting. I am very disappointed that I haven't ever seen a cobra in the wild.

You know, snakes are just another form of wildlife, beautiful animals that will try to escape and won't bug you if you don't mess with them. I'm much less fearful of snakes than I am all of the fools driving their cars with their cellphones shoved up against their ears.
 
............... I'm much less fearful of snakes than I am all of the fools driving their cars with their cellphones shoved up against their ears.

But, I'm used to those idiots!
 
The point is that you can still get to hospital should you get bitten by either a Cape Cobra or Puff Adder. Mamba, you're pretty much cooked. Neither one of those two are nearly as venomous as the Black Mamba.
In 16 years of hunting, I've seen one Puff Adder while hunting. Never ever seen a Cape Cobra while out hunting. I'll take those odds.
Strangely enough, I saw that Puff Adder in mid July, which is in the middle of our winter. I wanted to mount him, but he has too many holes.

very very true about being bitten by the mamba. never saw an adder (was warned to listen) but last May I saw one of the camp staff beat a juvenile cobra to death with a broom.
 
20km off the coast, little bastards get in everywere:sneaky: I use more dog shampoo than the dog does durring hunting season:D

Try and find permethrin. It is used to treat clothes and lasts about 6 washings and 4 months. Illegal in Canada ;) but I buy it across the border at Walmart
 
What I want to know if anybody else in the world have pigs that pose a threat to any your country's snakes? What would a warthog want with a Puff Adder? I know Warthogs are omnivorous, but are pretty sure that they don't actively hunt for meat, unlike Bushpigs.

Growing up in Texas the feral hogs would definitely go after the rattlesnakes and were impervious (or so it seemed) to the venom. I think what actually happens is the fat layer keeps the venom from every getting in the blood stream.
 
Thanks BRICKBURN. That is a very interesting and helpful map.

I guess my point is that I don't want to travel half way around the world to shoot animals that are not in their native habitat. I could go to Texas to shoot all sorts of non-native species.
I do think you might find them to be much lower priced in Africa as well! In their native habitat or not... And then there is the whole African Experience that you won't get in TX.
 
I do think you might find them to be much lower priced in Africa as well! In their native habitat or not... And then there is the whole African Experience that you won't get in TX.

Bob is dead on regarding the African Experience.

My advice, pick your most important species, go where they are native, and shot them plus any other critter that you fancy atthe time. I like the indigenous idea myself, but wouldn't pass on a brute because he is not.

And even with the true native species it is a matter of time and forage. There was a really good article about Kudu floating around here a while back. Kudu have migrated to places they traditional weren't and are no longer found in areas they traditionally were. The article gave the impression this was not due to man.
 
Eastern Cape people are SO friendly we even thank the ATM when it gives us money!

Depending upon the exchange rate, I thank the ATM too! :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,351
Messages
1,573,798
Members
169,855
Latest member
ryoutarimthe1987
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top