Eastern Cape April Vs July

pc3

AH member
Reaction score
Very close to locking in dates etc. with a provider for a first African Hunt for both my son and myself in 2025 in the Eastern Cape (originally wanted Tanzania, Zim or Mozambique, but RSA seems like a good first place and a little more economical, still want to get to those places).

Has to be Apr or July to fit in with sons school holidays, he will be in the later years of high school etc.

Maybe I have a preference for the cooler weather, April is not as long to wait. July will also be between subject units re sons schooling.

Of the two months April and July in the Eastern Cape what do people prefer and why ?

Kudu rut seems to begin n late April. Weather reminded me of early Autumn in Ohio. July was much cooler, I enjoyed both times in the EC.

Reactions: pc3
Went to EC in July - weather was mild, but ...

There was a substantial increase (to the tune of another critter) in airfares (QAN) for travel in July - due to school hols - might be worth checking that aspect if you've havn't already.

That time of year, Eastern Cape can be cold overnight and early morning. Was there at the end of June, early July this year and one morning there was frost. I remember seeing on the truck instrument panel, temp, 0 c,

That time of year, Eastern Cape can be cold overnight and early morning. Was there at the end of June, early July this year and one morning there was frost. I remember seeing on the truck instrument panel, temp, 0 c,
ooohhh we are heading that direction June thirtieth, I knew cool but dang!

Just checking flights hypothetically for 2024 (cant check that far out to 2025) it seems cheaper in April IF your willing to do a 34-38 hr flight time.....for the 20hrs to 24hrs from Melb to Port Elizabeth there looks to be $500-$700 AUD in it (cheaper earlier) for my son and I between April and July.

Also Flights MIGHT get cheaper over the coming year as available planes in the air return to pre-covid numbers...just hypothesizing on this one.

But yes there is a slight difference, if I accepted a 34 to 38hr flight time you'd save a $2k but lose a full day.

Thanks for the advice thus far.

April could be a more relaxed hunt because it isn’t peak season yet. It might be warmer however. The hunt I did was in early March and I thought the temperatures were very pleasant.
July will get the cool weather (even snow in some mountain areas possibly), but it’s peak season for travel to Africa, so you may have more hunters in camp and less flexibility.
There are pros and cons to both to discuss with outfitter depending the animals you want and exact area you are going to. I’d personally choose April, but I like warm weather especially when it’s still cold at home.

I always book East Cape end of August. Get out of the heat here and spring is just starting there. The wildflowers were fantastic this year.
20230819_141253.jpg
20230817_114314.jpg
20230817_114429.jpg

Frost in the morning? Oh my! Last year I shot this Montana pheasant triple in November ... -4 degrees F.
20221106_164038.jpg

20221202_135708.jpg

@pc3

If you are taking rifles with you, Qantas is really your only viable option.

I enquired with Singapore, and it was very difficult to get a straight answer from the police there, even if transiting through.

The other thing to note is that the flight from Sydney to Johannesburg departs at 0920

Effectively meaning it is extremely high risk to try and get the first flight out of Melbourne and still make that connection.

We stayed overnight at a hotel near Sydney Airport, the night prior.

I’m happy to chat if you’re interested- I can pm you my phone

@pc3

If you are taking rifles with you, Qantas is really your only viable option.

I enquired with Singapore, and it was very difficult to get a straight answer from the police there, even if transiting through.

The other thing to note is that the flight from Sydney to Johannesburg departs at 0920

Effectively meaning it is extremely high risk to try and get the first flight out of Melbourne and still make that connection.

We stayed overnight at a hotel near Sydney Airport, the night prior.

I’m happy to chat if you’re interested- I can pm you my phone
Thanks Tintin would be worth chatting with you as this is my first Rodeo with this. What you’ve told me already is valuable.

Cheers pc3

I would go for April weather starting to cool but animals will be calm and in good condition.
Your outfitter and PH will also not be swamped with busy season yet and will have more time for you. With an added big bonus for me the days arre much longer so you can spend more time hunting.

More time around fire as it is not so cold yet at night.

I’ve only gone the last Week of July but have enjoyed the weather both trips. Cooler there so almost no insects or snakes. I would wear a jacket and warm hat early but after breakfast was in a t shirt or hoodie the rest of the day. There have been occasional rains that cool things but they haven’t been common and don’t seem to last. Last year the aloe Vera plants were in full bloom and the red orange spectacle was wonderful.
Someone commented when I posted the eland pic, my ph is in a coat and I am in a short sleeved shirt. The weather definitely depends on what you are used to! The animals are there and you will have a great trip whenever you choose to go.
IMG_6276.jpeg
IMG_6156.jpeg
IMG_5975.jpeg

April, July can be pretty chilly in the Cape. And many African animals do not like the cold. So morning hunts are slow.

April, July can be pretty chilly in the Cape. And many African animals do not like the cold. So morning hunts are slow.
Which is all more reason to hunt it during July when the area is at its coldest. Animals will be found on the Easterly facing slopes early mornings sunning themselves.

April can still be very green meaning minimal animal movement.

Either works, things to consider are vegetation, going in July there will be less tall grasses and leaves to deal with, cooler temps could mean lower chance of seeing a creepy crawly, where I hunted in the EC, there were no mambas, flights will definitely be cheaper in April. You really cannot go wrong either way. Personally, I try to go in April/May or September.

Which is all more reason to hunt it during July when the area is at its coldest. Animals will be found on the Easterly facing slopes early mornings sunning themselves.

Exactly. Kudu are masters of camouflage but they are suckers for a sunrise after a frosty night. Look for them in openings on hillsides trying to warm up and refuel, especially if no moon.

North American hunters are generally no strangers to hunting in cold weather. I would much rather dress up to stay warm than deal with being sweaty.

Also, that bit about no snakes and bugs rates highly for me. I did get nailed by a tick two years ago and pretty sick after my return but easily remedied once I figured out that I'd been bit. The probability of dealing with them is much lower during the coldest months (but still need to take precautions). Shouldn't be many flies or bees about in July.

At the end of August some of the migrant songbirds are returning. Some of them are spectacular, e.g. Cape starling, European bee eater.

We were there the last 10 days of July in 2018 and I don’t think the weather could have been better. In the early mornings I’d wear a hoodie but by 9 or 10am I’d shed it for just a T-shirt. Very pleasant.
My only other trip to Africa was the first 10 days of April in Namibia. Again very pleasant weather.

You talk like you've hunted the Eastern Cape before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AimeeAig4

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg