AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day members, good to discuss aspects in regards to reloading for my 404 Jeffery again.
As mentioned my 404 Jeffery is going to be used to hunt two buffalo cows.. I am going to use Bjinse Visser `s Dzombo solid bullets to reload for this upcoming hunt. I would like to hear from fellow 404 Jeffery owners if any one has re-load with these great quality bullets??

Additional will be loaded BARNES 400gn TSX bullets to use in the same hunt. It would be great to hear from fellow members.. .

Just load 400gr. Rhino solid shank bullets and be done with it....unless this cow is single, solids and even Barnes especially TSX is not the way I would go......

Have you used solids on buffalo before?

Have you used solids on buffalo before?
Andrew, according to those who hunted buffalo the first shot need to be a soft, then the second shot a solid as a raking shot at the departed buffalo ...I am providing the 404 Jeffery to the two hunters who will use the rifle to hunt buffalo. I am reloading for my 404 Jeffery. The 404 Jeffery will be scoped with this scope :

I have the BARNES 400gn TSX bullets available, I am buying the Dzombos from Bjinse Visser .
I am positive these loads will be effective on the buffalo cows that will be hunted.
404 Jeffery .423" , 450gn Dzombo bullets , I will be loading the 400gn Dzombo bullets with a flat mepad ..will load and see how it feeds /cycle
1  16ae6d92-2878-46b3-a231-fa1159ede8f2.jpeg

Attachments

• 1111 002d39e0-93b1-477d-9be4-b7b7ae2097fc.jpeg
    1111 002d39e0-93b1-477d-9be4-b7b7ae2097fc.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes and no I dont anymore. 500 Jeff with Rhino solid shanks is all that is needed. 375H&H 340gr, 350gr or 380 gr. 404 Jeff 400gr, 500 Jeff 570gr or 600gr....no need for solids especially on cows.....

Additional will be loaded BARNES 400gn TSX bullets to use in the same hunt. It would be great to hear from fellow members.. .
I have loaded Barnes TSX for my hunt in two weeks.

80gr of Reload Swiss (RS) 60 and L6 = 89.5mm

P.S. As always - no guarantee and using this data at your own risk

I'm sure it will work out perfectly. I hope everyone who hunts does so with what they feel is best for them. Personally, I have taken 14 buffalo, 3 with Hornady DGX, 3 with Swift Aframes, 7 with Barnes TSX, these 13 buffalo were basically 1 shot kills. The only buffalo I ever had trouble with was back in 1988, before these newer and greater bullets. My guide had me bring solids, long story short, it was a total s*** show, took 7 shots. Also, in the past year, there was an episode on the Big Game Hunting podcast where the guy said he shot his buffalo with a soft, then had solids in the chamber for any additional shots. So he shoots the buffalo, he cannot take a 2nd shot because there is another buffalo behind the one he shot, the buffalo runs off and is never found. Had he had softs in the chamber he could have taken a 2nd shot. Again, I truly hope everyone hunts as 'they' wish to hunt buffalo, as for me, I'm not putting any solids in my gun for buffalo.

Yes and no I dont anymore. 500 Jeff with Rhino solid shanks is all that is needed. 375H&H 340gr, 350gr or 380 gr. 404 Jeff 400gr, 500 Jeff 570gr or 600gr....no need for solids especially on cows.....
I will be shooting Dzombo .510" 530gn bullets in my .500 Jeffery when completed ...no opportunity to hunt buffalo or elephant in the near future, so will use it on Dangerous Game shoots at SA Hunters days...

I'm sure it will work out perfectly. I hope everyone who hunts does so with what they feel is best for them. Personally, I have taken 14 buffalo, 3 with Hornady DGX, 3 with Swift Aframes, 7 with Barnes TSX, these 13 buffalo were basically 1 shot kills. The only buffalo I ever had trouble with was back in 1988, before these newer and greater bullets. My guide had me bring solids, long story short, it was a total s*** show, took 7 shots. Also, in the past year, there was an episode on the Big Game Hunting podcast where the guy said he shot his buffalo with a soft, then had solids in the chamber for any additional shots. So he shoots the buffalo, he cannot take a 2nd shot because there is another buffalo behind the one he shot, the buffalo runs off and is never found. Had he had softs in the chamber he could have taken a 2nd shot. Again, I truly hope everyone hunts as 'they' wish to hunt buffalo, as for me, I'm not putting any solids in my gun for buffalo.
Thank you for your great informative input Andrew, my job is to reload for the 404 Jeffery , BARNES TSX 400gn bullets /Dzombos 400 gn bullets , 20x rounds of each, they have to decide what to use when and how... (y) (y) (y) (y) If they only use the BARNES TSX rounds..I will use the Dzombo reloads at shooting days

Use the 400Gr Barnes TSX. Solids are totally redundant for Cape buffalo these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaldoCamde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available