Corey Mason moves on to Wild Sheep Foundation

This thread has really been much ado about nothing... the title is inaccurate and inappropriate, and the discussion has gone off track and is largely speculation rather than any discussion of facts..
Particularly when the rumor was apparently started on line by an anonymous poster on this site, and abetted by someone in another country who knows absolutely nothing about DSC or the individual involved.

Just stop old man

1720828830460.png

Particularly when the rumor was apparently started on line by an anonymous poster on this site, and abetted by someone in another country who knows absolutely nothing about DSC or the individual involved.
Right. Seems there is little to know. A fella obviously straight out of grad school goes to work for Texas Parks and in just sixteen years somehow attains the rank of regional director before leaving for the top job in SCI, the most highly visible hunting organization in the world. His credibility when accepting that position was based on 1) prior experience with Texas Parks, 2) his education (MS in wildlife forestry), 3) his membership in Texas Wild Society (an organization I had never heard of in 22 years with the US National Parks Service), and his many publications in popular and peer reviewed literature ... that I have not been able to find. Doesn't mean they're not out there but apparently no one has referenced them in other peer reviewed science literature. His books also do not appear to be selling on Amazon. Did anyone see them for sale at SCI? Now he suddenly leaves the coveted leadership job at SCI to be head of a sheep org in Montana. That's what I have been able to determine so far. A very rapid climb to the top of the trophy hunting world based on ... not much. And then a very rapid departure.

Hopefully not, why would the POTUS with the most votes in history just leave? Everyone knows 2020 was the most legitimate election in U.S. history. ;)
please Guys dont get me started on politics or religion as Im a self proclaimed expert in both, anyway THE present POTUS may get elected for the 3rd time, think about it.

Right. Seems there is little to know. A fella obviously straight out of grad school goes to work for Texas Parks and in just sixteen years somehow attains the rank of regional director before leaving for the top job in SCI, the most highly visible hunting organization in the world. His credibility when accepting that position was based on 1) prior experience with Texas Parks, 2) his education (MS in wildlife forestry), 3) his membership in Texas Wild Society (an organization I had never heard of in 22 years with the US National Parks Service), and his many publications in popular and peer reviewed literature ... that I have not been able to find. Doesn't mean they're not out there but apparently no one has referenced them in other peer reviewed science literature. His books also do not appear to be selling on Amazon. Did anyone see them for sale at SCI? Now he suddenly leaves the coveted leadership job at SCI to be head of a sheep org in Montana. That's what I have been able to determine so far. A very rapid climb to the top of the trophy hunting world based on ... not much. And then a very rapid departure.
As much as you’ve found the opportunity to criticize both DSC and SCI over the last year or so it’s clear you don’t know the difference even though you’ve been corrected already in this thread. Are you really that jealous of everyone who’s been more successful in life than you? We don’t all get fired from the parks service in USA for “working too hard” then run away to Ontario.

I hope a moderator deletes this thread or at least cleans it up.

At this point, I too hope this thread just gets deleted. Us hunters, all together, are a minority in the broader population. When one of us chooses to take a leadership position in a conservation and hunter advocacy oriented organization, I hope we can be more respectful and supportive.

As much as you’ve found the opportunity to criticize both DSC and SCI over the last year or so it’s clear you don’t know the difference even though you’ve been corrected already in this thread. Are you really that jealous of everyone who’s been more successful in life than you? We don’t all get fired from the parks service in USA for “working too hard” then run away to Ontario.

I hope a moderator deletes this thread or at least cleans it up.
Well ... so sorry to have hurt your feelings. Such a sensitive guy. SCI or DSC ... sure okay. There is obviously a huge difference. I guess. Presumably one is more exclusive? I am a member of SCI but don't pay much attention to corporate machinations or inter organizational intrigues. I measure for clients and find some articles in publications interesting. I would rather die in a fire than attend DSC or SCI conventions ... or ANY convention. In my line of work I was required to publish and present papers at conferences. I hated every minute. Too many people in the same place.

I did find Corey Mason's MS thesis searching the Austin U library. It was approved in 2002 and subsequently published (as a condensation?) under the same name in a journal, curiously with several coauthors. The subject was mallards and gadwall overwintering on Texas stock ponds. He also appears a couple more times as contributing author in other articles on doves and wetlands soils. So he has published ... sort of.

Last edited:
This reminds me of my favorite quote from the movie Cool Runnings, “whatever is wrong with you is no small thing!”

Again, I'm seriously wondering if Mason's move wasn't purely personal. I mean with a choice between living in Texas (Dallas?) or among the mountains of Montana ... how hard would that decision be? End of speculation. :D

At this point, I too hope this thread just gets deleted.
Three pages of no information, just speculations, with potential of harming a person in public.
I agree, to be deleted!

Mason leaving DSC, joining WSF

Corey Mason, the chief executive officer of Dallas Safari Club, is leaving the group to begin a career with the Wild Sheep Foundation.

Mason of Texas will join WSF as Executive Vice President of Conservation, effective August 12. In this capacity, Mason will lead WSF conservation efforts to conserve and enhance wild sheep and their habitat worldwide. He will also serve as Chief Operating Officer, supporting the foundation’s current and future programs and strategic initiatives.

“Corey has served the conservation and hunting community with distinction as CEO of Dallas Safari Club (DSC) for the past seven years and as a Regional Director, Program Leader, and biologist roles for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for 16 years before leading DSC,” stated WSF President and CEO, Gray N. Thornton. “He is a Certified Wildlife Biologist and a recognized industry leader in promoting sustainable use, not only in North America but around the globe. Corey has worked extensively with state, federal, and international agencies and conservation industry NGOs. He brings talent, capacity, relationships, and additional leadership to the WSF staff — he is a blue chip hire, a franchise player and a force multiplier to our team.”

Mason has served as an organizational lead for the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and CITES Conference of Parties and Animals Committee meetings. He also serves on the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation Board and state advisory committees for bighorn sheep, mule deer, and whitetail deer and was a member of the National Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council.

In a letter to membership, exhibitors and sponsors on July 11, DSC President Ray Mulholland wrote:

“Our CEO, Corey Mason, will be transitioning to a new professional opportunity. Corey has been a pivotal force in driving numerous successful national and international initiatives and strengthening our organization. While we will certainly miss his leadership, we fully support his decision and recognize that this move is a testament to the high regard in which he is held within the world of wildlife conservation. We wish him nothing but the best and are deeply grateful for all he has done for DSC.” Mulholland said the DSC Board of Directors will immediately engage in the search for a new CEO. Brian Fienhold, DSC’s Director of Operations and Development, will serve as acting CEO during the search process.

https://www.lsonews.com/mason-leaving-dsc-joining-wsf/

This thread reminds me of Socrates advice-

In Ancient Greece, Socrates had a great reputation for wisdom. One day, someone came to find the great philosopher and said to him:

"Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"A moment," replied Socrates. "Before you tell me, I would like to test it with the three sieves."

"The three sieves?"

"Yes," continued Socrates. "Before you speak about others, it's important to take the time to filter what you mean. I call it the test of the three sieves. The first sieve is TRUTH. Have you checked if what you're going to tell me is true?"

"No, I just heard it."

"Very well! So, you don't know if it's true. Let's move on to the second sieve, that of KINDNESS. Is what you want to tell me about my friend something good?"

"Oh, no! On the contrary."

"So," questioned Socrates, "you want to tell me something negative about him, and you're not even sure it's true? Perhaps you can still pass the test of the third sieve, that of UTILITY. Is it useful for me to know what you're going to tell me about this friend?"

"No, not really."

"Therefore," concluded Socrates, "what you were going to tell me is neither true, nor good, nor useful. Why, then, did you want to tell me this?"

"Gossip is a bad thing. Initially, it may seem enjoyable and fun, but ultimately, it fills our hearts with bitterness and poisons us."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammyCerut

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available