Dove Hunting in the US

IMG_0102.jpeg
IMG_0101.jpeg

I’ve been thinking about a trip to Texas for white wings, I would come to a get together and shoot some doves!
Good luck to all of you!

Wow.. I’ve never heard of a state that doesn’t allow dove… I’m sure there are others.. but they are so plentiful across the south east and even most of the south west that I’m actually surprised at the limits imposed in some places down this way…

Yeah, for years now, ever since I saw a hunting outdoor show where hunters can go to Mexico or Argentina to hunt doves all day long with virtually no limit, yet here in the USA every state that has dove season(s) has a daily and possession limit on doves.

I enjoy dove hunting. I enjoy cooking and eating dove. But I can't see myself shooting a 500 shells a day, nor killing more than 15 birds per trip. Having to cleaning/ breast a lot of birds by myself at one time, prepping some for cooking and some for the freezer is time consuming and several messes to be cleaned up. Especially when it is the weekend and trash pick up isn’t till Tuesday. Or recently the trash convenient center doesn’t open till 10 o'clock Tuesday morning. Then there are/were, since remedied, three nights spent protecting the garbage cans from feral cats, neighbors cats and/or dogs, and coons.

Yeah, for years now, ever since I saw a hunting outdoor show where hunters can go to Mexico or Argentina to hunt doves all day long with virtually no limit, yet here in the USA every state that has dove season(s) has a daily and possession limit on doves.

I enjoy dove hunting. I enjoy cooking and eating dove. But I can't see myself shooting a 500 shells a day, nor killing more than 15 birds per trip. Having to cleaning/ breast a lot of birds by myself at one time, prepping some for cooking and some for the freezer is time consuming and several messes to be cleaned up. Especially when it is the weekend and trash pick up isn’t till Tuesday. Or recently the trash convenient center doesn’t open till 10 o'clock Tuesday morning. Then there are/were, since remedied, three nights spent protecting the garbage cans from feral cats, neighbors cats and/or dogs, and coons.

We've done dove hunts in Argentina twice... while we dont do it, there are lots of guys that shoot 1000+ shells a day while in Argentina.. the skies are freaking black with dove at times.. its an unreal experience..

We're more on the shoot maybe 8-10 boxes of shells a day side of the equation (which is still a lot) and then spend time sipping wonderful Argentinian malbecs and eating incredible argentinian beef and dulce de leche about 10 hours a day crowd lol...

My hunting and fishing buddy. My buddy's grandson.

FYI don't mention boat, hunting or fishing after meeting him. We still haven't found his hearing range limit yet.
20200901_133446.jpg

As we were setting up and waiting for noon on his first dove hunt, I was messing with him about not having his hunting license on him and what the game warden could do.

He said he had never met a game warden before and wanted to meet one. He met 2. Later in the afternoon, this is one of the 2 TWRA agents he met earlier, he asked the agent if he could get a picture with the agent. I think it made both their day.
20200901_145903.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but in Argentina they are a different species of dove (eared?) and can decimate acres of grain due to their numbers. Hence the high volume shooting and donating birds, tipping bird boys etc. I would love to do it sometime!
Stateside, our limit is ten per day

Correct me if I am wrong but in Argentina they are a different species of dove (eared?) and can decimate acres of grain due to their numbers. Hence the high volume shooting and donating birds, tipping bird boys etc. I would love to do it sometime!
Stateside, our limit is ten per day

Correct.. there are a few species, but the most common is the "eared" which is very similar to our mourning dove...

they do indeed absolutely decimate the crops down there.. when I say there are tens of thousands in the sky at any given time, Im not exaggerating...

when we did our first trip the primary roost we were hunting had over 1M birds in it... on our most recent hunt the primary roost had an estimated 2M birds in it...

nothing at all like hunting them in the US... the single biggest challenge for me in Argentina is target selection.. at any moment there might be a dozen birds in shotgun range and another 50 approaching... its easy to get confused in the chaos and end up not focusing on the bird that you could have shot.... the other challenge is with so much going on at any given time, keeping your mind clear on leads necessary to shoot at a wide variety of angles and ranges... you might squeeze on one bird approaching head on and get him at 20 yards.. and then the very next bird (just 3-4 seconds later) is at 35 yards hard crossing, etc..etc..

I'll be on 5 acres just outside of Levelland, TX. Sunday is the Lord's day for me, but I'll be in the field Monday morning!

Last year was
In about a month, I’ll be back in Seymour, Texas hunting doves with my buddy @Jeff505 and several more friends. The early dove season is the start of our high social season. This year, I’ll take my tried and true Winchester Model 101 12 gauge, and a newly acquired Rizzini BR 550 side by side 20 guage that I bought at the Tulsa gun show in April. As I get older, the joy of hunting with real friends becomes more important than the bag. However, I’m expecting a fantastic shoot this year. Seymour has already exceeded its annual rainfall average! There’s plenty of grain and seeds.

Anyone else planning to shoot “at” doves in a few weeks?
Looking forward to hunting with you and the guys again in Seymour. Doves might not be as exciting to kill as a deer or turkey but hunting with a good group of guys makes up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qplake

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.