Dove Hunting in the US

Interesting.

As #9 shot and hybrids for a while were a "rage". Then not so much. Seems #7, #7
Several hunters that I know that reload shotgun shells, along with a few muzzleloading shotgunners have tried #9, and #9 + #7, 7-1/2, and/or #8 shot (Combination Hybrid loads). They all seem to have a concensus that #9 shot does too much damage, destroys, and] allows too many wounded birds to fly off and die, not being recovered. They have since gone back to their respective favorite load of #7, #7-1/2, or #8.
I keep my shots between 20 and 35 yds. Late in the year I’ll switch to 1 oz 7 1/2 high brass or if a lot of WW or EC doves are using the field. I generally kill between 150 - 200 doves a year and maybe 1 or 2 are shot up too much to eat and mostly my fault for taking a shot that’s too close. All are shot with my Savage 20 O/U. This what works best for me.
Many of the birds I see dusted are shot with light dove and quail loads. As someone else said the ammunition manufacturers best friend.

Last edited:
Absolutely going out on Opening Day; probably somewhere here in Central Texas

Just got this Belgian Guild 16ga hammergun to add some spice to the hunt

33FDE01C-8754-4DA7-88AB-9FE0FE84F064.jpeg
A67410A8-7EDB-4C92-8CBA-6FDBEF85981F.jpeg

Ed Z

I keep my shots between 20 and 35 yds. Late in the year I’ll switch to 1 oz 7 1/2 high brass or if a lot of WW or EC doves are using the field. I generally kill between 150 - 200 doves a year and maybe 1 or 2 are shot up too much to eat and mostly my fault for taking a shot that’s too close. All are shot with my Savage 20 O/U. This what works best for me.
Many of the birds I see dusted are shot with light dove and quail loads. As someone else said the ammunition manufacturers best friend.

Your choice of using a 20 gauge and choke could also be a factor limiting the amount of damage, number of wounded, and lost birds.

Most of us use 12 gauges with modified chokes and BP 10 gauges with open barrels and respectively light moderate and medium moderate powder charges. Those using BP 20 gauges, or equivalent, have long 30+" to 40", "swamp" barrels.

About 3 or 4 years ago invited deer hunting buddy's 7 or 8 year old grandson on a dove hunt. The grandson had a single shot 410 he shot his first dove, and later that season his first squirrels with it. The next season and since when he is with me he gets to use a 28 gauge semi auto.

Yes....I will admit that that little 28 gauge is fun to use and I do use it occasionally for dove and small game.

I nor anyone that I dove hunt with has ever tried #9 shot in either of those two forementioned gauges.

Sudden thought....

Considering: closer shot ranges, less powerful, less number of pellets, the 410 and 28 gauges might work better using #9 shot.

Has any member used or know anyone that uses a 28 gauge for dove hunting?

What size shot is used?

At what distances?

Your choice of using a 20 gauge and choke could also be a factor limiting the amount of damage, number of wounded, and lost birds.

Most of us use 12 gauges with modified chokes and BP 10 gauges with open barrels and respectively light moderate and medium moderate powder charges. Those using BP 20 gauges, or equivalent, have long 30+" to 40", "swamp" barrels.

About 3 or 4 years ago invited deer hunting buddy's 7 or 8 year old grandson on a dove hunt. The grandson had a single shot 410 he shot his first dove, and later that season his first squirrels with it. The next season and since when he is with me he gets to use a 28 gauge semi auto.

Yes....I will admit that that little 28 gauge is fun to use and I do use it occasionally for dove and small game.

I nor anyone that I dove hunt with has ever tried #9 shot in either of those two forementioned gauges.

Sudden thought....

Considering: closer shot ranges, less powerful, less number of pellets, the 410 and 28 gauges might work better using #9 shot.

Has any member used or know anyone that uses a 28 gauge for dove hunting?

What size shot is used?

At what distances?
I shot doves with a 28 gauge and pick my shots carefully and don’t sky bust. It’s more than enough gun for doves.

For me and my son season started early in Bloemfontein South Africa two days ago. We shot close to 40 doves in an hour and quit.
We could have shot a lot more.

I shot doves with a 28 gauge and pick my shots carefully and don’t sky bust. It’s more than enough gun for doves.

What size shot do you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bomberwoman72

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.