Double-up

No Kevin. The rifle has been absolutely amazing. No issues at all. If you read the write-up on Champlinarms.com, I agree with their assessment that Chapuis is the best value for the money in a double rifle today.
I will give you an example: On my 2018 buffalo in Limpopo, I made a first shot that was, shall we say, "less than fatal" so we were tracking a wounded buff for at least 3 hours. We set up an ambush and sent another PH and tracker into the thick bush to push the bull out. When he came out I was on sticks about 100 yards away and put a kill shot in and he kept going so I started shooting offhand and put another in, then broke open the action and quicklly put another two rounds in and hit him again as I was walking up to him. My PH says, "Hit him again, but be careful about his horns," so I hit him again. All fatal shots. He went down. No issues at all with the Chapuis.
Sounds like every second of that experience is vividly engtained in your memory, wonderful!

I spoke with Alex from Kreighoff at the DSC and SCI and he has me very seriously considering a set of 30/06 barrels and possibly a set of 20 gauge for my big 5 classic that currently has 470 barrels on it. That would make it quite a useful package.

Back in the days when running boar was an olympic entry, an elderly gentleman set records with a small caliber double rifle! So, I would like one in 8x57R

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.20 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.22 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 9.40.23 AM.png
    507.2 KB · Views: 85
I currently have 3 doubles and am looking for a fourth. My 450-400 is going to Africa this summer for Buffalo primarily. My 470 and 9.3x74 are staying home. I am taking a custom Mauser in 318 WR for plains game and a Kimber 375 as a backup that can cover both.

I am looking for a vintage British double in 303 to round out my assortment of s/s rifles.
JJ Perodeau has one. I was looking to buy it but, I have a buffalo hunt this year and need the money.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.49.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.49.28 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.49.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.49.29 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 99
At Kevin's request, here is a pic of my Chapuis Brousse 375 H&H, fitted with a Trijicon RMR 3.25 MOA red dot sight. Been to Africa 4 times and it's a sweet shooting rifle. It's about 15 years old and I'm the second owner. I've used it on everything from wart hog to cape buffalo.

View attachment 521455
What mount did you use for that rmr?

@chashardy I bought my chapuis from William Larkin and moore, he had a local machine shop make a number of the same flush mount bases. I picked up one for my red dot (rmr)

Merkel 500 NE
Chapuis 375 H&H
Heym 9.3x74r

I own 4 double rifles . When I started out all I wanted was a heavy double suitable for buff hunting in Australia’s Northern Territory. My first acquisition was an incredible Westley Richards 450/400 NE - a sidelock of all things . Then decided to go the whole hog and commissioned a 500NE boxlock rising bite with a snap action underlever from John Shirley in the UK . An interesting and unusual rifle . Then a mate who is getting on offered me his 375 H&H flanged magnum - a Royal action . To me does the same thing as the 450/400 but just beautiful . Then another aging mate ( a theme is emerging ) offered me a 303 Purdey non ejector with Jones underlever . I had never previously given a moment’s thought to a light double . This was built for deer stalking on the Duke of Sutherland’s estates in Scotland . I have culled literally thousands of deer on my farms usually with a 7mm Mauser ( great cartridge/ rifle combo) - but have taken some deer recently with the Purdey ( which is scoped ) and it is a magnificent rifle to handle . A 180 grain pill at 2550 fps . Perfect . Lost my marbles recently when Rigby came to Brisbane and ordered a 500NE Shikari . Do I need it - No . Do I want if - Yes. So soon to be 5 DRs , unless of course another aging mate rings me about his 475 Jeffery . Here is a pic of the rifles 500 at top , 450/400 then 375 and 303 at bottom .

IMG_3167.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I own 4 double rifles . When I started out all I wanted was a heavy double suitable for buff hunting in Australia’s Northern Territory. My first acquisition was an incredible Westley Richards 450/400 NE - a sidelock of all things . Then decided to go the whole hog and commissioned a 500NE boxlock rising bite with a snap action underlever from John Shirley in the UK . An interesting and unusual rifle . Then a mate who is getting on offered me his 375 H&H flanged magnum - a Royal action . To me does the same thing as the 450/400 but just beautiful . Then another aging mate ( a theme is emerging ) offered me a 303 Purdey non ejector with Jones underlever . I had never previously given a moment’s thought to a light double . This was built for deer stalking on the Duke of Sutherland’s estates in Scotland . I have culled literally thousands of deer on my farms usually with a 7mm Mauser ( great cartridge/ rifle combo) - but have taken some deer recently with the Purdey ( which is scoped ) and it is a magnificent rifle to handle . A 180 grain pill at 2550 fps . Perfect . Lost my marbles recently when Rigby came to Brisbane and ordered a 500NE Shikari . Do I need it - No . Do I want if - Yes. So soon to be 5 DRs , unless of course another aging mate rings me about his 475 Jeffery . Here is a pic of the rifles 500 at top , 450/400 then 375 and 303 at bottom .
A wonderful collection indeed. Would you have some more pictures of that 500NE boxlock underlever, that sounds like something a bit more out of the ordinary.

And if you have any mates, who feel the need of donation to a young and appreciative aficionado, I can always send you my address in a PM :D

Here are some pics of the 500NE . I put some others up on this site but forget where . Some pics are publicity type , photo of rifle and builder and anction after case hardening . It is an ejector , non auto safety , 24 inch barrels and weighs 11.5 pounds . I have also fitted a small 3 point diamond on front sight for better visibility in the dark and against dark hides . Cost A$ 90 for the diamond and I already had the glue .

IMG_3664.jpeg
IMG_3665.jpeg
IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3663.jpeg
IMG_3700.jpeg

That 303 is magnificent!

That 303 is magnificent!
Here are some better pics of the 303. It is a non ejector with Jones underlever third fastener . It has 25.5 inch barrels - not sure of weight but light . Made in 1897 for nitro powders . Ownership provenance is off the Richter Scale. ( not including me ) . It has really been little used over the last 127 years . Still has a lot of the original case hardening . Scope mounts added by Purdey in 1930s . Shoots out of the box ammo 180 grain bullets at 2550fps. Two bullet holes half an inch apart at 50 metres . Just amazing.

IMG_3156.jpeg
IMG_3159.jpeg
IMG_3160.jpeg
IMG_3161.jpeg

Here are some pics of the 500NE . I put some others up on this site but forget where . Some pics are publicity type , photo of rifle and builder and anction after case hardening . It is an ejector , non auto safety , 24 inch barrels and weighs 11.5 pounds . I have also fitted a small 3 point diamond on front sight for better visibility in the dark and against dark hides . Cost A$ 90 for the diamond and I already had the glue .

Love it, it just looks right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?