Double Rifle Shoot in West Ky?

I'll be there, Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.
I'll bring a .458 WinMag bolt action and a .470 NE Merkel as my token DR.
One interesting event for the already familiarized would be
a timed shoot, if timer equipment available, for 4 shots with a bolt gun versus a DR.
Compete with oneself against the clock.
Some sort of accuracy scoring on a paper target might make it interesting too.
Time with deductions for shots not in the big bullseye, minute of buffalo, on a stationary paper target
at 25 or 50 yards.
Any type sight desired, scope, red dot, open or peep iron sights,
but no shotguns or seeing-eye-dogs allowed.
An overall champion could be declared, unlikely to be me.

I'll be there, Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.
I'll bring a .458 WinMag bolt action and a .470 NE Merkel as my token DR.
One interesting event for the already familiarized would be
a timed shoot, if timer equipment available, for 4 shots with a bolt gun versus a DR.
Compete with oneself against the clock.
Some sort of accuracy scoring on a paper target might make it interesting too.
Time with deductions for shots not in the big bullseye, minute of buffalo, on a stationary paper target
at 25 or 50 yards.
Any type sight desired, scope, red dot, open or peep iron sights,
but no shotguns or seeing-eye-dogs allowed.
An overall champion could be declared, unlikely to be me.
We are on the same page my man! I have a shot timer as well as shooting sticks. We will be set up at our 200 yard berm with shots ranging from 25-50 yards there. We will have 3 other berms available out in front of us that will have various paper targets and metal plates for anyone that wants to take a little stalk through the field and pop up the sticks for some unknown distance shooting. I hope to do some timed pairs as well as 4 shots with a double vs 4 with a bolt gun on the timer. May do a distance shoot with the iron sights using sporting clays as targets and those who break it will move back in 10 yard increments until we have a winner.
We also have some challenges with the 22lr and some squirrel targets.

How will the caliber be broken down. Will there be classes if at least two people have similar size rifles ?

Or will a 9.3 & .375 compete against a .470 or 500NE ?

How will the caliber be broken down. Will there be classes if at least two people have similar size rifles ?

Or will a 9.3 & .375 compete against a .470 or 500NE ?
Not sure, it will depend on the amount of people we have. If we have any competitions we will try to break things down into categories. Mediums bores vs mediums and double rifles vs doubles. It will just be some friendly matches for bragging rights or maybe some small prizes.

You should ask all entrants to bring a token prize to go in the kitty.

Even if it’s a used item of value

Knives, ammo, belts, gun cases etc

Just got the jury duty notice, entire month is pending. Even if I can’t attend, let me know if there’s anything I can do to support this event. It’s something a lot of us would like to see more often.

Did the contact/website for the sponsors already get posted?

Just got the jury duty notice, entire month is pending. Even if I can’t attend, let me know if there’s anything I can do to support this event. It’s something a lot of us would like to see more often.

Did the contact/website for the sponsors already get posted?
Will do. I'm going to try and get a website or something together if I can. KYGUNCO donated the ammo.

I should be able to make it, but it would be a drive down and back same day. I’ll be bringing my 416 Rem (I’ve got ammo enough for me) and shooting sticks. Probably bringing a +1.

You should ask all entrants to bring a token prize to go in the kitty.

Even if it’s a used item of value

Knives, ammo, belts, gun cases etc

Like a blanket shoot?.

To confirm this shoot is on 19 Oct? KY Gun Club, near Paducah, KY.?

Last edited:
@Andrew Short has a post in the double rifle section that gave me an idea, for Google purposes I live about 20 minutes from a town called Paducah KY. I have a nice range just down the road from my house which I believe I could procure for a day of double rifle and big bore shooting. I'm just brain storming here, but there are a couple hotels right down the road and I have plenty of room to host here at the house. I have a few of the life size buffalo targets and I have a buddy that has 10 promatic clay throwers. I might be able to talk him into setting up a little five stand action. This might be a good opportunity to do some shooting just for fun or to get some good training in if you have a hunt in the near future. If there is any interest then we can start looking at dates and details, probably do it mid spring March-May time frame.
Let me know what y'all think and we will see what we can do.
sounds like a plan am very much interested in..

Sadly, my attendance got cancelled. I must attend a state wide meeting of a group to which I am an officer on the same day. Ya'll have fun. Even if I cannot be there, there is a shooting drill that might be a good fit that represents a shot on a Cape Buffalo that then charges. It goes like this.

1.) Shooter and his PH (Range Officer) approach the firing line on foot with sticks advancing ~30y forward. PH deploys sticks and starts timer.
2.) Shooter mounts the sticks with rifle and takes one aimed shot at unknown distance between 95-70y. All shots after this are to be taken off hand without use of sticks or aids.
3.) Shooter then engages a 2nd tgt placed 5y to the left of tgt1 centerline at range of 45y with one shot, reloading as necessary.
4.) Next shooter engages tgt3 placed 5y to the right of centerline with one shot at a range of 30y.
5.) Finally, shooter engages tgt 4 with one shot at range of 15y. Timer stops after 4th shot is fired.

Scoring: Tgt1 hit in bull (12") = 100pts, tgt2 hit in bull (12") = 50pts, tgt3 hit in bull (12") = 50pts, tgt 4 hit in bull (6" to represent head shot) = 100pts. Total pts max = 300. Any miss counts as a minus (-50pts). Final score is total points divided by total time in seconds. All four shots must be fired to complete the course. Highest score wins.

Example:
Shooter 1 fires four shots in 7sec hitting #1 and #4 but missing the other two. 100-50-50+100 = 100 divided by 7 = 14.28

Shooter 2 fires four shots hitting all four but taking 15sec. 100+50+50+100= 300pts divided by 15 = 20.00 In this comparison shooter #2 would be the winner.

It is a good comparison of bolt vs double rifles as well as use of optics vs red dot vs iron sights. Each have their unique advantages and challenges. Timer puts pressure on the shooter and can force mistakes like short stroking the long magnum actions, fumbling with ammo for a reload, searching for tgt in optic after a reload, etc. Double is very fast for first two shots but may struggle with the longer first shot. Can be very fast even with a reload for shots 3-4. May or may not be all that accurate. Bolt may hold 4 rounds and thus not require recharging but still requires cycling the bolt after each shot. Optics may provide accuracy advantage on first shot, but may also have a smaller field of view making the shorter followup shots harder to find in the scope. It is a great way to shake down the rifle and equipment prior to the hunt. Might consider placing a total time limit of say 20sec? If a shooter takes longer give them a score of zero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trjehtjjggdfh

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?