Double Rifle Regulating Question

Shoot off sticks and get good at it. Lots of good ideas here mentioned previously.

For those of you with older doubles an interesting note on load development. If you take the cordite charge x 1.07 it’s going to give you a very close starting point with imr 3031. It changed the whole deal for my old Manton 470.

Lead sleds are the death of many a fine rifles, they are meant for low recoil rifles, avoid using them

In need of some opinions from those experienced!

How are you guys shooting your double rifles when working up regulating loads?

Currently I have only been shooting off the bench with sand bags (I despise sleds). Wanting to know if instead I should be shooting off sticks. I understand how barrel time & recoil can change things.

I have recently purchased my first double rifle, a Heym 89B 450 3-1/4”. I have not yet had the chance to spend much time developing loads for this gun, but I have shot several rounds of same bullet with different powder charge. Luckily I have yielded some acceptable groups, but I am the type to keep tinkering with things (because I enjoy it). Also I have been searching for a copy of “Shooting the British Double Rifle”, but have had no success.
Thank you for any advice.

The best regulator in America (Ken Owen) uses a cradle that is kind of like a preacher's pulpit. You need something incredibly steady, but it also must be properly shouldered and it must react to you exactly how it will when used in real-world conditions. That means it needs to have the same shove and muzzle rise. You cannot do that seated or using a sled because all your results will be skewed.

It would also hurt like hell and probably break the wrist of the gun. Lead sleds do not allow the gun to move naturally. If you'd let me put your gun against a concrete wall and fire it 15 times (what you're doing with a sled) I'm sure you'd be aghast, feeling pretty confident something will break on that gun. That's a lead sled.

Thank you all again for the insight.
As stated previously I despise using sleds. Never have used one, never will.
Sitting at the bench, using sandbags, and grasping the forend of the gun like I would hunting, yielded me nearly the exact same group as standing using a 4 leg safari-style shooting stick did. I feel good about the results and repeated them several times for confidence. I also shot off a 2-leg stick & off-hand. My main concern was going through the proper steps while developing a load that regulated nicely. Of course I will practice for a hunt accordingly too.
Now to see if the solids shoot like the softs!

Has anyone ever tried a sling suspended from above.
then rest your hand under and on the fore end and then another sling in the back

it would be steady for accuracy and move back with the body standing up

Also I have been searching for a copy of “Shooting the British Double Rifle”, but have had no success.
Thank you for any advice.

I managed to get my hands on this book in immaculate condition, they are almost impossible to obtain nowadays.

IMG_1512.JPG

Asking $300 shipped anywhere in RSA,ZIM,NAM,BOTS,MOZ. For shipping to USA or Canada ad R650 ($36) via DHL. Typical time to destination is less than one week via air freight.

Plenty of AH Members that can vouch for receiving their books timeously and in excellent order.

Regards,

Dewald van der Walt

I have switched out sand for peat moss to allow more free recoil when shooting my double.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anuskaxett

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]