Double Rifle Purchase Advice

I bought the Sabatti.

Fit and finish is better than expected. It is nicely balanced, for me, and snaps to the shoulder nicely.

Hopefully it shoots well enough.

I was able to negotiate the price down to $5500 CAD (which is $4200USD shipped to my door).

Still enough room to the Rigby Highland Stalker in .275 Rigby if I want to really piss off my wife.

How is .275 Rigby as a plains game caliber?
With the 170 gr Oryx I would use my .275 Highland Stalker on anything - even an eland - though I would prefer my .338 or .375 for that large an animal. The Rigby is a lovely little rifle.

full
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The price you quoted for Rigby is for the Big Game PH. That would be a wonderful rifle but you have to remember there will be importation fees and I am guessing Canada has some sort of tax. I know there duties here in the US when importing a rifle plus fees to an import agent. Not sure how much this would add to your cost. The 416 is a classic cartridge and to have one built by Rigby essentially to a pre-war Rigby specifications would be awesome.

A nice double is also a classic DG rifle. I have a 450 NE No2 by Jeffery and Son. When it comes to buying a double I would stay with a gunmaker that has been making quality doubles for a long time. In my humble opinion I would recommend Verney Carron, Kreighoff, and Heym. You can purchase a Merkel or Chapius under 10k, but I prefer the later three. The 450/400 was mentioned as a caliber of consideration and I agree this is a great round.

The 450/400 is a much more pleasant cartridge to shoot, and this cartridge will kill anything that walks the face of the earth. The 450/400 has a more pleasant recoil than the larger calibers. I have a friend who has a Manton in the 450/400 and it weights a bit over ten pounds. Having fired this rifle it is a pleasant gun to shoot.

I wish you the best with your upcoming purchase. Please let us know what you decide.


IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1875.JPG
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,571,757
Members
169,409
Latest member
HopeBelche
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top