Double Rifle Practice

I booked my first elephant hunt for late august. I started training on Sunday. In addition to loosing about 40lbs,I need to become totally proficient with my rifle. With the exception of stopping a charging medium/small whitetail deer with my krieghoff double in 2019, I really haven’t shot it much in recent years.

I’ve got a lot of work to do on my unloading/reloading. After spending some time practicing in the house with spent brass, I think I can save time by using gravity to clear the spent rounds, but I need to practice on the range to see if that works with hot brass.
This video is from my first run Sunday. I dont even have an ammo belt yet which is why you see me digging around in my pocket for shells.

Y’all follow along and see if I get any better over the next several months.

If anyone has any recommendations for practice drills please share.

View attachment 397434

Your second shot will be running. Also practice not using sticks, this was my case on my elephant hunt. Your shot will probably be less than 25 yards, mine was 30 feet. STUDY anatomy of elephant. Frontal brain shot is extremely difficult go for heart/lung.

Here we go again .We receive many double rifle hunters in our Consetion in the swamps of Argentina Mesopotamia.Many of them want training classes .First day we shoot double trigger s/s 12 gauge shotguns shooting pidgeons and doves and next day we move to the rifle .
Cheers from Argentina.

Interesting that this thread has come back around. When I posted this I was just getting back into dangerous game hunting after a long break caused by life.

Since the initial post I’ve taken 20 or so animals from honey badger to elephant with the double.

My grip and stance are better and more natural. I upgraded to ejectors. I also switched to reloading with my left hand shaving off a bit of time there. In general my confidence ability has grown considerably since that first video.

I may be facing another little break from dangerous game while I’ve got really little ones at home. We shall see what kind of hall passes I can manage. I haven’t shot my double in over a year. I need to make sure to break it out and shoot every few months.

I also have it on my things to do list to send my rifle in to Krieghoff for service and maybe see about picking up a set of 20ga barrels to create more opportunities for off season practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredericTr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]