Double rifle moral dilemma

Why not meet in the middle and go 375 flanged? A little big for Europe, legal for Africa.

Just a thought.
Three main reasons: can't find many second hand DR chambering .375 here, ammo is scarce and pricey yet delivers performance very similar to 9,3x74R, and so... even if legal for dangerous game, most PH won't consider this cartridge enough to bring me elephant hunting.

.470 NE : € 20 - 25.- per piece not € 15.-
If you get them at all.
9.3x74R without question, unless you collect.

M.S.said
big gun means worst shooting.
Some Hornady factory load prices here in my country for a quick fuel comparison:
- 375 H&H (belted) 300 gr >> 162€ x 20 rounds (usually rimmed version is x1.5 time the price, but I didn't find loads from Hornady)
- 9,3x74R 286 gr >> 186€ x 20 rounds
- 470 NE 500 gr >> 346€ x 20 rounds

For all of the talk about reduced loads in double rifles, it’s a road of trouble for many. You can re-regulate most doubles but the odds of having one shoot both regular and reduced loads satisfactorily isn’t as likely. It’s very advanced gun work in most cases.
I've owned a vintage and a few modern doubles and I've been able to get light bullet loads to regulate in all of them without much trouble. The vintage double was regulated to shoot both light and heavier bullets from the maker and from what I've read and from some load data that came with some vintage doubles that I've seen that practice was not uncommon.

End of Last paragraph definitely doesn't apply to me.....just saying :A Tease: :E Rofl:

Completely agree :) and you are right on the money when you say "does not apply TO ME" (emphasis added) :) Lucky you :)

You are the lucky guy who lives in country and can grab from your rack whatever rifle is best for that specific day's hunt; do not worry too much if you do not get the ideal shot this week because you can go again next week or next month; and will likely never shoot your double past 50 yards - and likely a lot less - because you are only shooting to back up a client when things go wrong.

I am the guy who flies half around the world only once a year for 3 weeks at best and once every two years more likely; has to make it work with only what I have in my gun case; and has to make every opportunity and every shot count including out to 75 or even 100 yards on a hart & double lung shot if necessary; so to me the "fugly gun" as you call it, and a couple barrels if I am on a mixed PG/DG hunt, including the scoped .458 Lott pipe for DG, is the most logical tool :)

I would likely have kept the double .470 if I was a PH, but I am not :cry: and I am realisitc about it :E Shrug:

Last edited:
Completely agree :) and you are right on the money when you say "does not apply TO ME" (emphasis added) :) Lucky you :)

You are the lucky guy who lives in country and can grab from your rack whatever rifle is best for that specific day's hunt; do not worry too much if you do not get the ideal shot this week because you can go again next week; and will likely never shoot your double past 50 yards - and likely a lot less - because you are only shooting to back up a client when things go wrong.

I am the guy who flies half around the world only once a year for 3 weeks at best and once every two years more likely; has to make it work with only what I have in my gun case; and has to make every opportunity and every shot count including out to 100 yards if necessary; so to me the "fugly gun" as you call it, and a couple barrels if I am on a mixed PG/DG hunt, including the scoped .458 Lott pipe for DG, is the most logical tool :)

I would likely have kept the double .470 if I was a PH, but I am not :cry:

Ahhh...but I have a slightly possibly fairly unique position ,in that I have been on both sides of the counter. When I was on your side of the counter I used to bring anything up to 4 firearms...because I liked using as many as possible...this would usually be 3 rifles and a shotgun....those were mostly 416 rigby. 300 win mag..22 mag and 12 bore...one case and the 416 rigby and 300 win mag....never used to bother me humping the cases around.....so yeah can see your point ..but only calibre changeable rifle I have seen that I liked was the mauser mo3....so not against multi calibre rifles ...just the fugly one ;) :D Beers:

If you are tight in budget, buy now 9.3 double and use it, then when financially possible buy bolt action in caliber 375 or bigger. (cz, zkk, winchester, etc).

Forget 470 double.
I understand the appeal of big bores, but when budgetimg we have to be rational, not emotional.
I needed 9.3 for driven boars, bought semi auto. (poor mans double), and then I bolt action in 375 for everything in africa.
For me this is feasable and acceptable.

Ahhh...but I have a slightly possibly fairly unique position ,in that I have been on both sides of the counter. When I was on your side of the counter I used to bring anything up to 4 firearms...because I liked using as many as possible...this would usually be 3 rifles and a shotgun....those were mostly 416 rigby. 300 win mag..22 mag and 12 bore...one case and the 416 rigby and 300 win mag....never used to bother me humping the cases around.....so yeah can see your point ..but only calibre changeable rifle I have seen that I liked was the mauser mo3....so not against multi calibre rifles ...just the fugly one ;) :D Beers:

Yep. I read you loud and clear. A lot of folks already think that I am crazy bringing 3 calibers (typically .458 Lott / .300 Wby or .375 H&H depending on the hunt / .257 Wby), but I draw the line at one gun case, and a small one < 50 lbs. and < 62" at that :)

I too like the Mauser M03, and I wish it had not been discontinued, but I like the fact that the scope mounts on the barrel rather than the action on the R8, it makes return to zero from one barrel to the next more predictable, although I understand that M03 owners are satisfied with it.

As to the shotgun, Amen too, I will use yours when the urge of getting a Puku draws me to your neck of the woods :A Gathering:

Last edited:
What a bunch of terrible advice. Moderation is for p#$$|€$. :-). I kid. Well, just a bit. Throw practicality out the window. If the .470 makes you smile, checks out, and is still available, buy it.

Then again, I have been without sleep for two days and am weary. Listen to the rational folks and go with a .243 or 6.5 Creed. :-) . Buy muni bonds as well.

I try not to be foolish with my purchases, but I do buy what I like, even if my friends shake their heads at times. Oh, and how they shake their heads.

Buy everything you can afford as they are an investment.take what’s needed on your trips. Sell something later if you have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarylouBar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?