Double rifle moral dilemma

Roland Tembo

Reaction score
I like double rifles.

Let’s say I could grab a .470 NE double rifle for the same amount or even less money than the same gun from the same manufacturer in 9,3x74R.

I’d love, but it’s not into plans at the moment, to go to Africa (out of budget, for what I want).

So the .470 NE would be just a gun for dreaming, at least for quite some while. On the opposite hand, the 9,3x74R could be helping me if I decide to start hunting red stags or driven wild boars (biggest game available around Europe).

I’d love to have at least one gun capable to pick any game on planet Earth. The fact the 9,3x74R is not legal for big game hunting in some african countries really turns me down, especially when the guns would cost me about the same.

I know the .470 NE is just too much for my local fauna: factory loads cost x3 times a 9,3x74R round; 500 gr vs 286 gr also makes a whole lot of difference… and last thing I want is to buy me a “corpse” into my gun closet.

But elephants apart, I’ve seen warthogs blasted on the spot with a .470 NE so… why shouldn’t I pick the .470 NE, dream of Africa, and in the while maybe once or twice a year use the .470 against red stags or wild boars when I need a stopper costing me 15€ per round?

Go with the .470. It seems as if it will make you happy. Not life, but good life, is to be chiefly valued. ---Socrates.

There is no morality involved in this so called dilemma. Roll with what you want. Contextually, it is the .470.

I had that ache once upon a time.

If you buy the .470, your heir or the next purchaser will likely inherit or buy a pristine firearm even if you do make that dream hunt for Buffalo and elephant. I am fairly certain you will never take that .470 on a driven hunt in Europe more than once. On the other hand, should you purchase that 9.3 the same people will inherit or buy a well used, lovingly cared for rifle about which dozens of stories could be told. I recently sold my .470 in the same pristine condition I purchased it. I have a 500/416 that has never been to Africa and never killed anything more dangerous than paper. But my Blaser S2 with .375 and 30-06 barrels has taken buffalo and plains game in Africa, and boar here in the States. My 9.3 has taken bear in Canada and boar and deer here in the States.

For me, the decision would not even be close.

Well, it might be a dilemma, but it’s scarcely a moral dilemma.

I bought a .416 Rigby ages before I had a legitimate chance to use it. Sometimes it’s OK to exercise faith and dream. :)

A 9.3 x 74R is a perfect rifle for driven hunts in Europe..as the 8 x 75JRS.. I suggest you start there..

And there is no morale here..just pure enjoyment.. :)

The 9.3x74R is legal for most large plains game. It is only restricted in terms of dangerous game, and then only in certain places. If the Dangerous Game restriction is a big issue for you, then maybe consider a .375 H&H Flanged Magnum and use it on everything. Having said that, I'm sure a 9.3x74R would give you much more use.

Buying the 470 will help bend your thoughts and energies on hunting in Africa for such game as the caliber was intended. This will in turn open your mind to opportunities that overlook! I wouldn’t be surprised if you were using it within 18 months!

I really like the .500/416 Nitro Express as an all-round general purpose dangerous game caliber which can still be used for plains game (within the bounds of reason, of course).

A different take on your situation - Buy the 9.3 now from a current manufacturer, like Heym, then add a second set of barrels later in the .470 when you "need" them. Plenty of enablers here on AH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XiomaraEdm

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe