Double addicted

Lioness size "Large" shot with Heym 88B .458 Win in Kalahari 2022.

Hunt Report at: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ses-hunt-with-tally-ho-hunting-safaris.71691/

Lion No1 wHat Reduce2a.jpg

Last edited:
Wild-e-Beast shot at a little past dusk with Heym 88B .458 Win at 150 meters.
Darn things are always moving. I had to shoot or forget...
Wildebeest atNight Reduce1.jpg

Heym 88B .458 Win
Merkel 140AE .416 Rigby
Merkel 140AE .375 H&H
The Merkels are unfired...

Heym and 2 Merkels Reduced.jpg

Last edited:
All I see is a red dot scope…very nice shooting from 150 yards at dusk!!! Well done!
Yes, I run a Trijicon SRO with 1 Minute dot. The only problem is that the Trijicon's screen is coated with iridium which reduces light transmission. I could see the silhouette of the wildebeast. My PM told me where ti aim. Trust your PH, or find one you can!

Yes, I run a Trijicon SRO with 1 Minute dot. The only problem is that the Trijicon's screen is coated with iridium which reduces light transmission. I could see the silhouette of the wildebeast. My PM told me where ti aim. Trust your PH, or find one you can!
do you know of any Red dot's that do not have this iridium coating? Or rather, which red dot would be least encumber light transmission?

do you know of any Red dot's that do not have this iridium coating? Or rather, which red dot would be least encumber light transmission?
I wish I knew. I need to figure that out. But, I have two Trijicons that one can "dial down" to a very fine dot for a more accurate aiming point. Since the dot is cast cast onto the coated screen, I think the better the coating, the better the dot. I could of course be wrong.

I just ran a Google search and found NOTHING about light transmission for night shooting. For a carry gun, I like iron night sights. It does however seem that every Tom, Dick, and Jane want a RMR on their carry gun. But not one article about target acquisition at night with these little light sucking thieves!

All three doubles below have their ribs milled for RMR immediately behind the rear sights. The two Merkels have ERA side swing scope mounts. I can run the RMR mounted to them with the scope off and if necessary, attach the scope with the crosshairs looking over the top of the RMR housing! See the bottom photo. The RMR is quick release so it can come off when the scope is mounted.

Heym and 2 Merkels Reduced.jpg
IMG_20221222_152508969_HDR_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I knew. I need to figure that out. But, I have two Trijicons that one can "dial down" to a very fine dot for a more accurate aiming point. Since the dot is cast cast onto the coated screen, I think the better the coating, the better the dot. I could of course be wrong.

I just ran a Google search and found NOTHING about light transmission for night shooting. For a carry gun, I like iron night sights. It does however seem that every Tom, Dick, and Jane want a RMR on their carry gun. But not one article about target acquisition at night with these little light sucking thieves!

All three doubles below have their ribs milled for RMR immediately behind the rear sights. The two Merkels have ERA side swing scope mounts. I can run the RMR mounted to them with the scope off and if necessary, attach the scope with the crosshairs looking over the top of the RMR housing! See the bottom photo. The RMR is quick release so it can come off when the scope is mounted.

View attachment 514230
Extremely well done!!! Beautiful rifles obviously in very skilled hands!

View attachment 514230
Wow! Very nice! (y)

View attachment 514230
Mark, I read somewhere Kahles red dot has superior light transmission?

A propos KP's Westley Richards double: Mr. Trigger won't do repairs or refurbishments, at least for us plebs. This is, perhaps, something to bear in mind when buying a new rifle - get it in writing that it can be serviced at the maker's.

That's without the difficulty of the UK and EU arms prohibition in Zimbabwe.

Personally, I'd think about getting the rifle re-proofed. If it is tight on face, so much the better, otherwise it needs tightening up. Neither of these ought to be particularly expensive.

As for tarting it up, my personal view is some that light and sympathetic restoration would be appropriate. Don't go the whole American. I'd be particularly careful about any rebluing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B1gT3x

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]