Don Heath's 'All Round Rifle'

My all around rifle is a custom FN M98 9.3x66 Sako that I am very happy with. In the past, I had a 9.3x64 twin to it that I was equally happy with. The only difference was 5 rounds in the magazine vs 3.

Does this mean, the 9,3x66 shows pretty much the same performance in the field like the 9,3x64?

HWL

I recently read and re-read the article by Don Health entitled The "All Round Rifle" And Other Slippery Shibboleths'

In the article, Don discusses his requirements for the one rifle to do it all in Africa, which are briefly outlined below:

• The rifle must be able to drive a bullet through to an elephant brain from any angle;
  • The rifle must be accurate enough and flat shooting enough for use on plainsgame under local prevailing conditions;
  • The rifle must be easy to shoot and absolutely reliable;
  • A selection of bullet types must be available that are suitable for taking all size classes of game from dik dik to elephant efficiently;
  • The cartridge chosen must be easy to reload, and economical to practice with;
  • The scope should have a setting of 2x or below for use on dangerous game;
  • The ammunition should not be so bulky as to preclude easily carrying 20 or 30 rounds;
  • The rifle design should facilitate rapid follow up shots.

In terms of cartridges he concluded that the 375 H&H was too long, the 9.3x62 was just adequate in power, and that the 376 Steyr was anaemic. He did write that if the 376 Steyr had been designed to fit a standard 30-06 length action instead of a short action it would have been 'the ultimate general purpose cartridge for Africa.

This brings me to the 375 Ruger. Is this the cartridge Don Heath had envisioned? Any thoughts?

Don was a big fan of the 9,3x62 and used it for everything. I used his rifle to kill 27 boars in Poland it is a Dumolin with a leupold with iluminated reticle.
FB_IMG_1723920761183.jpg

375 h&h fits his description.

But i would say, he missed important characteristic.
It must fit in medium size action., although he sensed this with idea of 9.3x62 of being close to this standard.

I would say with better marketing in the future 375 ruger could be this.

But at this moment 375 hh reins supreme in african versatility deparent, due to various reasons. But it is getting harder to find guns in this caliber.

Have not read Dr Heath's monograph but I think the 404J could give 375 H&H a serious run for the money as most versatile African cartridge/rifle ... IF someone would wake up and start making ammo in something other than 400 gr bullets. 404J does fit more easily in standard length actions (though 375 can also fit in standard 98 Mauser). Besides shorter bolt stroke and slightly lighter weight, standard actions are more affordable and easier to come by. 404J ammo and components availability seems to be improving every year. And of course there's the added attraction of hunting Africa with a classic cartridge/rifle vs some contemporary Yankee wildcat.

Last edited:
Quote "In terms of cartridges he concluded that the 375 H&H was too long".

Within the context being considered - to rule out a cartridge because it's a few tenths of an inch longer than another seems rather odd.
A standard length action is lighter, faster and much less expensive than a magnum length action.

Don was a big fan of the 9,3x62 and used it for everything. I used his rifle to kill 27 boars in Poland it is a Dumolin with a leupold with iluminated reticle.View attachment 627115
Posted this on another thread about Don Heath and the 9.3x62 . Would have been honored to hunt with this man. Others here that have are fortunate. HIs writings about the Zimbabweans PH rifle trials are very informative.
My favorite picture, with Don Heath, facing an elephant with his 9.3x62 Mauser.

1723923717396.png
1723923717396.png

Copyright Pierre van der Walt "African Dangerous Game Cartridges, 2012, Pathfinder Adventure Books, South Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicaelaIre

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com