Doha layover?

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised and happy you did the economy plus upgrade.

I’m in a similar situation… we go pretty much every year.. and typically do at least 1 additional international trip every year.. and I’m usually buying 3-4 tickets (myself, wife, and a kid or two)… so economy is the best solution for us..

Thankfully I’m a “platinum pro” flyer with American.. and their code shared with Qatar… so I book through American and get auto upgrades to economy+…

We buy tickets well in advance and always select the bulkhead seats…no one in front of us.. and even more leg room than the normal economy plus seats.. like you, I’m tall (6’4”)… and these days a bit wider than I should be… so any extra space I can grab is welcomed…

Qatar is a very good airline… it is the only carrier we consider out of DFW going to South Africa anymore… I don’t even bother pricing anyone else…

Try economy and then see how you like it.

I think it’s enough time. I had the 8-9 hour layover and it was brutally long. I’d op for short as possible

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised and happy you did the economy plus upgrade.

I’m in a similar situation… we go pretty much every year.. and typically do at least 1 additional international trip every year.. and I’m usually buying 3-4 tickets (myself, wife, and a kid or two)… so economy is the best solution for us..

Thankfully I’m a “platinum pro” flyer with American.. and their code shared with Qatar… so I book through American and get auto upgrades to economy+…

We buy tickets well in advance and always select the bulkhead seats…no one in front of us.. and even more leg room than the normal economy plus seats.. like you, I’m tall (6’4”)… and these days a bit wider than I should be… so any extra space I can grab is welcomed…

Qatar is a very good airline… it is the only carrier we consider out of DFW going to South Africa anymore… I don’t even bother pricing anyone else…
That was another reason I went with Qatar - the AA points/miles. My only gripe about AA is often having to fly through DFW.

In spite of everything since 9-11, I still actually like flying. Most of the time, it means I'm headed for an adventure of some sort, even if it's just seeing the sights (and mostly eating the different food) I can find in Europe.

Few things fry my bacon the way seeing Americans in Italy or where ever queuing up for American fast food over there. FFS. I know how blessed I am, and eating local cuisine is an opportunity I may never have again. Even if it sucks (which it never does), it's something the missus and I can laugh about the rest of our lives. To me, that's always worth the risk.

We were in this little hole-in-wall place in Sienna, Italy years ago. I saw a tripe stew on the menu. I knew in an instant that was what I was going to eat. Turned out to be quite good, if a little on the salty side. In Venice, another hole in the wall, this place had cuttlefish cooked in its own ink. Yeah, that was pretty good, too.

I'm as traditional/conservative as anyone, but the days of actual adventure are well in my rearview mirror. Odd food is how I have walked the razor's edge the last decade or so.

great thanks everyone for your thoughts, I think I will watch for a shorter layover in Doha. 9 hours suck just like I had 11.5 in Atlanta on a Delta flight. living in SD Delta does not give you much choice either Chicago or Minneapolis before Atlanta

Flew Qatar in 2021 and plan to fly with them again in 2025. The previous flight was economy cattle class, but due to being first flights post covid there was plenty of room as passengers were spaced apart.

A 2.5 hour layover may or may not be enough time.

Departing the US to Doha, 4 hour layover, reduced from a planned 6 or 8 hour layover and this was plenty of time to kick back and relax before the flight to JNB. No problems.

However,...on the return JNB to Doha for an expected 6 or 8 hour layover before the flight back to the US....Don't know what or why our flight was late arriving to Doha.....the US departing flight from Doha was held for our arrival from JNB. Those making connecting flights to the US, and 2 or 3 other countries were segregated as we departed the plane from JNB and rushed through customs, through the airport to the check in gate, on to the waiting plane. Only time I really wondered if my check bag and weapon were on the same plane with me. Less than 5 minutes after boarding the plane was cleared and we were taxing for take off.

Arrived back to IAD, my rifle and checked bagged had arrived with me.

So a 2.5 hour layover without weapon(s) shouldn't be a problem. Taking a weapon may pose some unnecessary stress, should a situation such as mine should occur.

My Doha layover this past March was 2 1/2 hours on the way over and I made it no problem. On my return I had a 9 hour layover and I stayed in the Oryx Hotel, not the Oryx Garden Hotel I think it's called. I had to have the travel agent book that room as individuals cannot book directly with the Oryx Hotel, or so I am told.

great thanks everyone for your thoughts, I think I will watch for a shorter layover in Doha. 9 hours suck just like I had 11.5 in Atlanta on a Delta flight. living in SD Delta does not give you much choice either Chicago or Minneapolis before Atlanta

Not sure where this fellow flew in from but he was able to catch an earlier departing flight to JNB. He arrived a couple of hours to JNB before our flight landed at JNB from Doha. IIRC we arrived around 4:30am. Marius was aware of my 5:00am arrival.

He, enroute, changed his flight itinerary to arrive earlier, and was traveling with weapon(s). SAPS contacted Marius at Henry Rifle Permits because this fellow had used Henry Rifle Premits for pre-approval SAPS 520. I also used, and use, Marius' services.

Our flight had arrived about 30 minutes early so plenty of time to get my check bag and head to SAPS. Upon arrival at SAPS the agent/officer saw my Henry Rifle Premits form an without hesitation informed me Marius was on his way as they had to call him for the other fellow, whom was unable to notify Marius nor his outfitter a 4 hour drive to JNB of his early arrival time.

Marius arrives around 5:00 - 5:30am to meet us and get us through SAPS.

FYI, Changing your flight itinerary whether or not being able to contact your outfitter who is to meet you at the airport can create other problems.

looking at flying Qatar next year, sorry to say economy. but I wonder if a 2hr and 25 min is long enough to get plane transfer in Doha or if longer is needed? I will be taking my rifles and using Jennifer at Travel express. thanks for the info
It will be a breeze. We just did it with the same layover coming back. Keep in mind you will have two security screenings on the way back.

Actually I've done it with a 1 hour layover before. Not ideal but worked out fine.

Phillip, for my knowledge for booking.

What time of day was the 1 hour layover and was that 1 hour from landing to take off.

Have flown to Doha with that layover and shorter. Never came close to having a problem.

Phillip, for my knowledge for booking.

What time of day was the 1 hour layover and was that 1 hour from landing to take off.
The one-hour layovers for me coming back from Tanzania were in the evening last November. Made it but stressful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makeannee

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.