Does anyone make their own floor pedestals

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date Start date
I really like looking at all of y’all’s handy work. I do have a question; I have a couple of pedestal mounts and lots of back skins. Is there a way to add the back skin to the panels of an already built pedestal? I have a sable pedestal mount with BS panels and would like to add a BS to a roan pedestal to balance the look of the 2 mounts.

I really like looking at all of y’all’s handy work. I do have a question; I have a couple of pedestal mounts and lots of back skins. Is there a way to add the back skin to the panels of an already built pedestal? I have a sable pedestal mount with BS panels and would like to add a BS to a roan pedestal to balance the look of the 2 mounts.
Tack the skin to the panels and then frame with a small piece of wood to cover the raw edges.

Old barn wood pedestal base for my black sable coming soon. Hard working with that old weathered warped stuff but turned out pretty good for my skill and basic tools. The top will have some fake dirt and dry grass. It is not perfect but as usual I only see the errors most don’t look that much at the base. Eyes always on the mount.

FBD3116D-706F-4F70-BE16-F57E5B4A557A.jpeg
669EF878-B267-477D-B6D2-6F6CA09B8705.jpeg
13C92EA8-7F84-4A2C-B35E-C0BFB03CF331.jpeg

In my first post to this thread back in Febuary (Wow! Time flies) I finally got my Alaskan Grizzly back and here he is on the oak pedestal that I built for him,
sm9Ni6Ul.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I plan on building an octogen base for my oryx out of barn wood. These suggestions and tips are helpful.
There are some pretty handy fellers on here. I may try to make one too out of mesquite.

I’m a big fan of the fence post pedestals for farm-country whitetails. I have not made one, but I’m hoping I need to after this bow season.

Built a pedestal for the Cape Buffalo Euro mount using the plywood that came with the shipping crate (which seemed right as rain) and some oak and birch moulding.
I posted the photos to show that adding some artificial vegetation and gravel adds a touch of realism and lends itself to a "diarama" feel, if that suits your tastes.

The side panels and African continent map are made from Eland hide (tanned back skin). I didn't have the foresight to get any of the Buffalo hide.

I find that finding rocks and tree pieces on the hunting trip and having the latter come back with the trophies and adding them to the display, is rewarding for memory sake. In this case, the wood is weathered leadwood and sicklebush.

20240712_194041.jpg
20240712_194015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tim Blackwell , can you give us a rundown on how you make the termite mounds? I got a termite mound from McKenzie taxidermy supply here in the states for my blesbok and would like to give it ago to make one for a future mount of an impala.

@Tim Blackwell , can you give us a rundown on how you make the termite mounds? I got a termite mound from McKenzie taxidermy supply here in the states for my blesbok and would like to give it ago to make one for a future mount of an impala.

I start with a substantial welded frame underneath, and get it balanced etc. The buff lifts off the base.

Then I foam it in and carve to desired shape. This can take a few goes!

I then texture with various methods, for this one I used coloured pointing cement with PVA/dirt added to get the right colour I was after.

Here's a first test fit...

20240514_115604.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaineCran

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]