Does Africa offer much in the way of Mountain Game and Mountain Hunting?

Not long been back from KZN area- we hunted Vaal up over 7000 ft above sea level. Plenty of mountain area if you pick the right area and outfitters .

IMG_4455.jpeg
IMG_4454.jpeg
IMG_4453.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We go with Guy Swartz from Wild Horizons and he arranged for us to spend a few days with Donny G Safaris, would throughly recommend a visit.

Oh my monster. I’m not a inch guy but I know he wins haha

Not sure what you are looking for in a mountainous hunt:

We were positioned just inches away from the edge of the cliff to the left, inside that cluster of trees.
_DSC0009.JPG

The shot was across the canyon, 120 yards initially according to my rangefinder; ~125 yards when I touched the trigger.

The larger open spot is where the bushbuck was.
_DSC0010.JPG

The bushbuck ran down through the lane and right collapsing inside the tree line between that short white line (tree) and the longer white line (taller tree).

Picture of my bushbuck, L to R, myself Lloyd my tracker, and the farm rep. (I have unfortunately forgotten his name)
_DSC0015.JPG

I missed the bushbuck, by roughly a foot over its back, at over 600 yards, over compensated bullet drop at that steep angle and distance. We were setup about 200 yards further down the ridge from this location, shot down across the valley.

My second impala: late afternoon, ~359 yards shot across a deep, steep, narrow draw.

So yes there is some mountain hunting available. Not like hunting in the Rocky Mountains, much similar to hunting in the Appalachian Mountains.

The two species of Ibex would be right up there & as stated the Aoudad for which there is great free range hunting in South Africa.

I always wanted to hunt a Walia Ibex & Gelada Baboon (not really a Baboon) but not in modern times I think ?
IMG_6234.jpeg

Also some Thar near Cape Town

IMG_6235.jpeg

Last edited:
The two species of Ibex would be right up there & as stated the Aoudad for which there is great free range hunting in South Africa.

I always wanted to hunt a Walia Ibex & Gelada Baboon (not really a Baboon) but not in modern times I think ?
View attachment 617613

Also some Thar near Cape Town

View attachment 617614
Unfortunately I don’t think there will ever be a hunt for walia ibex. The only mention I can even recall of hunting them is from Jay Melon’s book. Maybe in the 60s or 70s? Really too bad that can be an auction tag. It would bring in a massive amount for conservation if done properly, probably make markhor look cheap.

Tanzania has mountain hunting for Buffalo, Leopard, and other critters that live up at the higher elevations. Expensive hunt though.

Ethiopia there's also some mountains in RSA Namibia Zimbabwe check out Rainier Josche's videos taking people hunting in the mountains of Tanzania.

I just got back from the Waterbergs in Limpopo. Very beautiful place with some steep cliffs and mountains. It's really something to see buffalo climbing up high to the kudu and klippies through the cliffs.

As stated by others, there is a huge variety of terrain in Africa. It's all there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxiao22A.!~

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.