Does Africa offer much in the way of Mountain Game and Mountain Hunting?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
When I think of an African hunt I'm thinking of a savannah interspersed with areas of thick vegetation, but generally a fairly flat terrain.

Are there certain areas where you can hunt in a mountain setting? What kind of game are taken there?

I know of nothing that would be similar to doing a mountain type hunt somewhere like Alaska, Colorado, etc..

But there are hunting opportunities in the Waterberg Mountains in South Africa for example (more like hunting around the smokies in the US, etc).. and a couple of other mountain ranges as well..

Im not an expert.. but I think there are several species that thrive at elevations 5000-8000 in South Africa.. Vaal Rhebuck, Grey Rhebuck, and Mountain Reedbuck come to mind.. Im sure there are many others..

The Khomas Hochland area of Namibia isn’t Everest-high, but plenty big and rocky enough for me. We’ve hunted mountain zebra and klipspringer there, but there are also plenty of kudu, gemsbok, springbok, warthog and other PG. Leopard too, if DG is on the menu. Lots of mountainous areas in RSA too.

Both hunts I’ve done there were enormously enjoyable. Horseback hunting for the zebra.

It’s a vast continent with essentially all types of terrain, and fortunately much of it is available to hunt. I’ve hunted free range Hartmann‘s mountain zebra in Namibia, in mountains that looked a lot like parts of the big bend region in west Texas. I’ve hunted bushbuck and buffalo in mountains in northern Tanzania near 10,000 feet. There is tough mountain hunting to be had for sure, which is best appreciated as its own adventure rather than a comparison to anything else.

Yep - from South Africa to Namibia and all the way to Tanzania there are some beautiful mountain landscapes to hunt.

Go chase oryx and Hartmanns zebra (Mountain Zebra) in the highlands of Namibia (6000 ft plus).

Or Vahl Rehbok and Mountian Reedbok in Eastern cape of RSA. Much is the East cape looks like awesome steep rolling terrain and the two critter mentioned will take up in altitude as mentioned by @mdwest

you can hunt Cape buffalo on some of the steepest terrain in Tanzania in the north.
That looks like fun to me.

Go to YouTube and check it all out

It’s a vast continent with essentially all types of terrain, and fortunately much of it is available to hunt. I’ve hunted free range Hartmann‘s mountain zebra in Namibia, in mountains that looked a lot like parts of the big bend region in west Texas. I’ve hunted bushbuck and buffalo in mountains in northern Tanzania near 10,000 feet. There is tough mountain hunting to be had for sure, which is best appreciated as its own adventure rather than a comparison to anything else.

Here someone who’s been there and done that! Good info here

Mountain Nyala?

I read about this type of hunt in Dick and Mary Cabela's book, but have very little knowledge outside of that. Are these types of hunts still available?

When I think of an African hunt I'm thinking of a savannah interspersed with areas of thick vegetation, but generally a fairly flat terrain.

Are there certain areas where you can hunt in a mountain setting? What kind of game are taken there?
Yes sir, Eastern Cape is quite mountainous in places.
Species available in the bigger mountains are Kudu, Bushbuck, Nyala, Common Duiker, Baboon. Also as mentioned, once you get a little further away from the coast in land, Mountain Reedbuck and Vaal Rhebuck.

On my first hunt in the Eastern Cape I expected that we were going to be hunting flat brush covered lands.

When we left the lodge and arrived at our first glassing spot I looked at my PH and told him that if I didn't know better I would think that we were hunting elk and mule deer in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Here are a couple pics from the Eastern Cape with KMG.
IMG_6328.jpeg
IMG_6460.jpeg

Mountain Nyala?

I read about this type of hunt in Dick and Mary Cabela's book, but have very little knowledge outside of that. Are these types of hunts still available?

Oh ya! All done in Ethiopia.

A few great reports on here from some awesome members that gave us look into a very limited and rare hunt!

Mountain Nyala?

As far as I know you can still hunt Mountain Nyala in Ethiopia, but it seem to be a very expensive hunting.

Otherwise, when it comes to hunting in mountains of Africa, Uganda comes to mind. I hunted in the southwest of this country 30 years ago and at times I walked on the border of the Ruwenzori NP. The peak Margherita that I saw in the background is 5109m high and we often found us in a very mountainous landscape. Unfortunately I did not shot anything at altitude. I shot later a buffalo much deeper near the lake Edward. By the way, it was the only hunt in Africa where, because of rain and mud in the mountains, I wore sometime rubber boots.

KZN and Eastern Cape - SA, Khomas Hochland - Namibia, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Morocco are about the closest you’ll get.

Nubian Ibex in the Red Sea Hills of Sudan

Nubian Ibex in the Red Sea Hills of Sudan

I informed last year about this hunt. It was halted temporarily and last year some Hungarian hunted there and was the last before the conflict (again)broke out. So Sudan is of the table again.

Mountain Nyala?

If you sign up for the Hunting Consortium and Jack Atcheson and Sons email lists you’ll see some very unique hunts available. They don’t bombard you will emails only maybe 1 a month or so. All species in Ethiopia are extremely expensive and all paid in advance.

I haven’t seen anything that would compare to a sheep hunt, but eastern cape has very mountainous areas. Namibia and Limpopo have very mountainous areas as well. Using the hills to glass and plan stalks makes for a good kudu hunt, but don’t expect a pure mountain hunt like on a sheep hunt. You can try and focus on the hills but there is as good a chance finding them in the lower areas while hunting in mountainous regions. There are some famous Cape buffalo hunts in northern Tanzania in mountains at high elevation. Some good YouTube videos of them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GuillermoC

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.