Do you or have you participated in Competitive Shooting?

Competition, serious competition requires intense focus on the sights, target, trigger control, and for high power rifle over 200 yards, the wind direction and intensity. Shooting a match or even serious practice will tire one mentally. That intense focus should bring the competitor into their zone where they have tunnel vision with nothing but the target and range conditions. For me, when I lock my focus on a game animal, I fall into the same tunnel vision. I locate the kill spot on the animal while the rifle comes to my shoulder, the sights, red dot, or crosshairs come up into my line of sight, my shooting hand grips the rifle to control it, and I squeeze the trigger. That’s how I’ve shot targets for 50 years.

Add to the above how rapid-fire strings helps in hunting. Rapid fire is a series of timed, slow fire shots. As Wyatt Earp said about gunfighting, “Take your time, in a hurry.” Follow up shots on game are much the same. Tunnel vision during the first shot, recoil with the sights coming back to or close to the target, followed by the same shot sequence as used for the first shot. But faster as necessary for the second or more shots.

For the above, dry firing training with dummy cartridges instills the technique into our subconscious. Practice reloading without looking at the rifle if possible. A quick glance is necessary but keep eyes on the target. That will make target acquisition natural.

In a former life, I shot handguns competitively, 22lr, 38sp in a Gold Cup, 45 in a custom Commander.

What competitive shooting have you done? There are many of us who were or are very serious competitors. How do the fundamentals of marksmanship and competition techniques enable your shooting of dangerous game rifles? Let’s discuss?
Sport background:
I am certified shooting coach rifle/pistol in the club, and ISSF referee for pistol, rifle and clay targets.
Recently I am more coaching then competing. (not to mention admin work in the club)

I think I was at some phases in my life competing everything with various success, but biggest number of competitions I made in long range. (ok, actually medium range, 600 meters), and pistol bulls eye shooting.
IPSC, and IDPA recreational on local level, not seriously competing (no time due to nature of my job).
Clay targets, my shooting is recreational, not competitional.

DG rifle.
How to define DG rifle?
For purpose of my answer, I will define DG rifle as any rifle in caliber 375 H&H or bigger.
So, if that is so, my experience is limited, as I have done only two safaris with 375 H&H. (and one with 300 H&H)

Benefits, and drawbacks of target sports, in hunting:

Stress control:

Every competition is stressful. Experience in competition, in long term trains the shooter to control stress. I am guessing that experienced target shooters will less likely experience buck fever. Or more likely keep cool under DG Charge. Possibly.
But competition in part is stress control. Fact.
In hunting, and DG hunting this is very important.

Safety
Experienced target shooters, have absolute safety habits when handling the firearms.
This is not typical for many hunters, who hunt seasonally and fire less then box of ammo per year.
Rigorous safety rules and habits are most typical for IPSC sport, but for other shooting sports as well.
This is most important lesson learnt from sport, to be used in hunting, Firearm safety.

Long range shooting (f class and similar)
Come to think of it, long range experience thought me to zero the rifle to my preference, and to trust the scope, and to trust myself. It builds self confidence. It also thought me that long range shots are sometimes unpredictable due to wind and other gizmos, and in hunting, I prefer close range shots, preferably under 150 meters.
Experience of occasional bad shots at paper target at longer ranges, thought me modesty.
Good shots at paper targets at 300 meters gave me self confidence. Its a good mental balance.

However, there could be bad habits developed.
Possible bad habit that can come from classic bulls eye disciplines is that in those sports you are not extremely limited with time at range, and not under time pressure. At range - you are focused on breathing, aiming, natural point of aim, getting a perfect stance, etc.
For all that, you have no time in hunting. In hunting, you have no time for perfect shot in most of cases.

In hunting, you must react fast behind the scope.
I know several good target shooters, who are not confident in stalking animals and shooting in field conditions, exactly for that reason (my guess), so they prefer hunting from high stand or blind. And they do it fine. But fast sight line up, and quick shot is not their strong side.
In blind they take time, and choose their perfect moment for perfect shot.

Bulls eye pistol shooting (or rifle):
Keeps you trained with mechanical sights.

Now enter: dynamic shooting, under stop watch.
IPSC and IDPA.

they come in all shapes and sizes. (pistol or rifle, without scope and some with optics)
Shooters compete under stop watch, and at closer range.

Moto of IPSC sport covers well the complexity of DG rifle usage in the field.
Diligentia – Vis – Celeritas / Accuracy - power - speed.

All three factors are accounted in final result. If you can shoot accurately more powerful gun, it accounts for better result. 416 is better then 375, is it not?

The best prep, for DG rifle in the field, is IPSC. Especially with rifle. Where targets are scattered around the range, at various distances, and engaged in shortest time possible.

The drawback in this sport is, the shooter does not get used to recoil of DG rifle. Nobody shoots IPSC rifle match with 375. But the shooter gets good habits.
Drawback, semi auto rifle, does not teach fast bolt operation or break action fast reload.

Benefits are overwhelming:
When comparing target shooting with DG rifle shooting, I would say, any competition target shooting is beneficial for getting skills for hunting. But it does not fully compensate for lack of trigger time behind DG rifle.

The DG rifle training:
Once the skill is established with trigger time with other guns - in competitions and training sessions, then DG rifle must be trained in as real as possible circumstances on the range, to get used to recoil, to rifle, and to build self confidence. DG rifle will always have less training then other guns, because of price of ammo and cumulative effects of recoil, so training with smaller calibers is essential in field positions similar to those how the DG rifle will be used. Training session to start with smaller calibers, can be 22lr, over middle power calibers like 308, and then built up to final dozen or more shots with DG, in field positions and from sticks

Last edited:
Trap and skeet in my later college years, we always placed in the top ten at the college nationals in San Antonio and we received ZERO support from the university.

I find the principles of shotgun handling and marksmanship in regards to consistency of form and follow through lend themselves to shooting a SxS DR.

Started out at age 8-10 at the local Boy's Club/Jaycees air rifle team. Did a little bit of shooting in the Army. Later in life, did a little local pistol shooting (IDPA & "zombie" shoots). Became an NRA certified pistol instructor about a dozen years ago.

Shot sporting clays for a decade to a high standard ( 11th in world championships and 2nd place at a few continental championships). Took ten years off and just getting back into it.
definitely helps with stress control and I’m reasonably handy with a rifle at running stuff.. nowadays I do it to fill the gaps between hunting trips

BTW, I was the first to bring a 9.3x62mm to the soiree...
I know a guy (Barry) who inherited his uncle’s Model 70 .300 H&H bought before WW2 and purchased his uncle’s .375 H&H (possibly bought after the war) from him. When Barry felt like stirring, he would take the .375 to a Prize Shoot and place it on the mound during the prematch sight-in session; before replacing it with his Tikka M55 Biathlon rifle (the wooden stock version with dished butt stock) OR something lighter. He apparently gained significant enjoyment from those stunts! :D

Always good to wind up the people who insist on bringing centrefire rabbit rifles to every shoot. Most of them can take the joke and … if they can’t, rifle shooting is possibly not the right sport for them.

I like the idea of Big Bore competition! @Kevin Peacocke mentioned a quarterly big bore shoot in ZImbabwe.

I recently joined SCI and was informed of their local shooting competitions. I asked about a big bore shoot and got a blank look. That may be a great venue to organize one.
I would say this is one if the best training methods, especially when they roll out the charging lion and we double users get to shine.

Competition, serious competition requires intense focus on the sights, target, trigger control, and for high power rifle over 200 yards, the wind direction and intensity. Shooting a match or even serious practice will tire one mentally. That intense focus should bring the competitor into their zone where they have tunnel vision with nothing but the target and range conditions

This is correct.
Bringing the shooter into the zone is very well described in the book "Secrets of mental markmaship", by group of authors, Linda K Miller, Keith A Cunningham. (Key word, "zone" ;))
Recommended read, for advanced shooter.

Below is extract from that book. Its all about the zone.
00 The Zone.jpg

Skeet, Sporting Clays, IPSC, IDPA, Metallic Silhouette, 3 gun matches. I still shoot skeet and sporting clays, but my competition days are over. I just shoot for enjoyment now. Nothing like shooting clays with and old hammer shotgun.

I was heavy into the action shooting sports for a few years. When I started winning regularly, I noticed my marksmanship was getting very sloppy. This is because speed and sloppy marksmanship will beat slow and good marksmanship. I decided to stop competing against others and compete only against myself. I did this by focusing on marksmanship with a goal of only A zone hits and dropping all steel with one shot. I didn't win near as often, but I was lot smoother and more accurate.

Safe shooting

I participate, with some regularity, in IPSC pistol Matches: you have to move to shoot all the targets, score is basically your points divided by the time you took on a Stage (and some math to get the score for the whole Match). Find your balance between being quick and getting good hits.

At my latest one, me and my friend proved, again, that people make mistakes under pressure. He got disqualified (run out of rounds in a magazine and did a reload in a dumb location, which led him to "break 180", or point the pistol in a direction that is not allowed). I forgot about a group of 3 targets, which destroyed my score for that stage.

Practise being under pressure can reduce the number of mistakes.

I participate, with some regularity, in IPSC pistol Matches: you have to move to shoot all the targets, score is basically your points divided by the time you took on a Stage (and some math to get the score for the whole Match). Find your balance between being quick and getting good hits.

At my latest one, me and my friend proved, again, that people make mistakes under pressure. He got disqualified (run out of rounds in a magazine and did a reload in a dumb location, which led him to "break 180", or point the pistol in a direction that is not allowed). I forgot about a group of 3 targets, which destroyed my score for that stage.

Practise being under pressure can reduce the number of mistakes.

I shot 3 position in college, then shot rifle silhouette seriously for 25 years. Shooting offhand high power silhouette at 200, 300, 385, and 500 meters is extremely challenging both for yourself and your equipment. You learn so much it’s difficult to try to tell it all. I believe it’s fantastic preparation for hunting.
Once I moved to the San Antonio area I jumped into sporting clays seriously for the last 8 years. I shot 800 registered targets in matches in January. Shotgun and rifle are so different it’s like basketball and soccer. Sporting Clays teaches many good lessons for hunting.
All competitive shooting helps with the mental aspect of hunting when you need to make a good shot on demand under pressure.

I would say this is one if the best training methods, especially when they roll out the charging lion and we double users get to shine.
We don't have anything mechanical. We just have balloons filled with gas (compliments of the nice Hallmark store lady) that are set roughly chest high on stakes laid out in a rough letter "Z" fashion.
A couple of folks will set the farthest balloon somewhere between ~50 yards and ~65 yards, the middle balloon somewhere between ~30 yards and ~45 yards, and the closest balloon somewhere between ~15 yards and ~25 yards.
Your turn kicks off from the standing sticks at the farthest balloon. You then must step left or right, depending on how the "Z" is laid out, and swing the rifle to fire at the middle balloon. Then you adjust and swing your rifle back the other direction to fire at the closest balloon. When the breeze is up it makes for interesting shooting.

I've seen all manner of interesting rifles at the quarterly shoot. It's where I got to first try a 450/400 NE 3" and was hooked immediately.

Started off shooting small bore (.22 rimfire, iron sights, prone over 25 and 50 yards) as a 12 year old. Used the club martini rifle and coached by a couple of old diggers. At 14 started shooting big bore (7.62 nato) 300 to 900 yards prone with iron sights. Coached by a couple of old guys, learned a lot about reading conditions. Rifle was a second hand Omak that my parents bought for me. At 17 started UIT pistol shooting, coached by a gentleman who really knew his stuff. Rapid fire and Centre fire match. Started hunting around then and shooting in various rifle and pistol matches. Especially metallic silhouette rifles and pistol both rimfire and centre fire. Did alright with the rifle and won a state championship and had a bit of other success. Heaps more hunting and started shooting service rifles (M14 and AR 15’s mainly) did okay and did okay in a few state and national championships. Shot in NZ National championship and at Camp Perry.
then started shooting in SSAA big game matches, on and off for a while. Have done okay in a couple of state shoots. I still shoot this competition and hold my own.

46CCE44E-3DF4-4B4E-88BC-81CA8A4D5946.jpeg
F3A266D5-6247-4FF9-9A14-8C872B4EEFEF.jpeg
A77957FD-BAB3-464A-879F-026172A48D31.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
In my corner of the world, just about every range has a running moose range, for practise and competition. Moose typically get shot at relatively short range (50 to 60 meters is quite usual), while they are walking or running.

Some places have also rigged charging bear setups.

In my corner of the world, just about every range has a running moose range, for practise and competition. Moose typically get shot at relatively short range (50 to 60 meters is quite usual), while they are walking or running.

Some places have also rigged charging bear setups.

I had to qualify on that for my hunting license in Finland 1996 !

I had to qualify on that for my hunting license in Finland 1996 !
You still have to qualify but the test is much easier now. For moose it is four rounds into a static moose silhouette at 75 meters, in 90 seconds. To qualify, all rounds must hit a 23cm (9") diameter "kill zone", in the lung area, that is only vaguely visible. Almost any shooting position is accepted.

i compete in High Power rifle competition. Currently I have a Master Classification with the NRA and CMP and should earn my High Master NRA classification soon. I am also a Distinguished Rifleman.

@xausa I picked up a leg at Oak Ridge, TN. That range and River Bend near Dawsonville, GA are beautiful places to shoot.

Receiving my Distinguished Rifleman’s badge at Camp Perry

.22 Bisley at school and later in what is locally known as Veldskiet.
Animal paper targets and gongs at unknown distance and no wind reading meters.
Definitely helped my hunting but it’s mostly small bore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GarlandDem

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?