Do I need a 7mm Mag

"my preferred round is the 35 Whelen"....,you aren't by any chance related to a guy named Bob Nelson, are you?
Not by blood, just by thought.

Now you see, Bob Nelson 35 Whelen--the 243 is a good COYOTE gun....
@steve white
It may be but it won't kill them any deader than a 22-250 with a 60gn Vmax or any further away.
When you look anything the 243 can do another cartridge can do better
Bob

I'm not a advocate of the .243 Win. for big-game animals.

I have had several animals (at least 4) big-game animals , either keep going, or just get up, after being shot with one.

Maybe it is only Voodu, but I've only seen a .257, reliably, kill big-game animals. Of course, bullets, velocity, and, most importantly, shot placement matter more.

I have seen perfectly placed shots with a .243 using good big-game bullets, not kill 150-pound white-tailed deer and 120-pound pronged-horned antelope.

IMO - get something with at least .25 caliber for big game. Use anything smaller for varmints.

*** I know, a zillion BG animals have been killed with a .22 (Short up to .22-250), but IME, a hunter needs to use at least a .25 caliber for BG animals***

I don't understand the rational of anyone who wants to use something marginal on big-game animals.

To me, more is always better than less.

If recoil from a .257 Roberts scares a hunter, they don't have any business hunting big game animals.

Just my opinion...

I have had several animals (at least 4) big-game animals , either keep going, or just get up, after being shot with one.

Maybe it is only Voodu, but I've only seen a .257, reliably, kill big-game animals. Of course, bullets, velocity, and, most importantly, shot placement matter more.

I have seen perfectly placed shots with a .243 using good big-game bullets, not kill 150-pound white-tailed deer and 120-pound pronged-horned antelope.

IMO - get something with at least .25 caliber for big game. Use anything smaller for varmints.

*** I know, a zillion BG animals have been killed with a .22 (Short up to .22-250), but IME, a hunter needs to use at least a .25 caliber for BG animals***

I don't understand the rational of anyone who wants to use something marginal on big-game animals.

If recoil from a .257 Roberts scares a hunter, they don't have any business hunting big game animals.

Just my opinion...
@Safari Dave
That's been my experience with that useless little 243 as well.
For some unknown reason the 25s just plain work. They result in dead animals very quickly.
Bob

Just my opinion...
May be it's just Voodoo, Black Magic or the Dark Arts.
There can't be that much difference between the .243 and .257.
You sound like. @Bob Nelson 35Whelen the way you praise the magic .25 cal.

I’m trying to simplify things a bit by getting rid of some stuff. I got rid of my 260, 6.5, 7mm08. I kept my 243s and 308s and thinking about getting a 358. I got rid of my 25/06 and 280, and kept my 270s, 30/06s, 9.3x62s for now, and am building a couple 35 Whelens. I have a 300win I really like do I really need a 7mm mag? I think I could better let them go and get another 300win. Less brass, Less loaded ammo, less dies.

What do you guys think? I know you guys are all about more guns, but I’m sure I won’t have less guns just less calibers.

As long as I’m at it do I need a 22-250 if I have 223s and 243s?
I've had a 7 mm RM for over 40 years. It's been a great rifle and prints tiny groups with 140 gr. Accubonds. It doesn't like heavier bullets. I have shot a lot of deer and a couple of pronghorns with it, but since I wanted to go heavier on bigger animals I had a .300 Win built and have taken mule deer, moose, black bear and several plains game. I have also used my .30-06 on blacktails, hogs, plains game and one black bear. As much as I like the 7mag. I can't see a good reason to buy one if you already have a .39-06 and a .300. Your .270 also covers most everything that a 7 mag would. So do you really need a 7 mag? Nah, but if you see one that calls you, get it anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deandre145

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with