Do I have safari or Alaskan 375?

brandon1078

Reaction score
I bought a Win model 70 from gunbroker. The guy I bought it from wasn’t sure if it was Alaskan or safari. I’ll attach some photos to see if you guys can help me. From the serial number, it looks to be made in 1968. 848XXX It has a 23” barrel and weighs 8.5 pounds. Winchester was called by previous owner, but they couldn’t give any information on it.

IMG_6848.jpeg
IMG_6849.jpeg
IMG_6850.jpeg
IMG_6851.jpeg
IMG_6854.jpeg
IMG_6853.jpeg
IMG_6855.jpeg
IMG_6856.jpeg
IMG_6857.jpeg
IMG_6858.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere I read the Alaskan doesn’t have the two crossbolts….but other places says some do. Also I’ve read the sling swivel is on the barrel on the safari. I’ve read about 24 and 25” barrels, but nothing about 23”. Too much conflicting information

Sounds like a safari. The Alaskan’s had longer barrels but that could’ve been chopped

Don’t get me to lying but I believe that you have a Alaskan
“Safari over the Alaskan is the location of the front sling stud (barrel mounted on Safari) and the fact that the Safari sights are adjustable. and a straight stock “
The Alaskan has a Monte Carlo stock ?

IMG_6596.jpeg

Here’s one that’s nearly identical to yours. S/N 860XXX. The auction house calls this a “Sporting” which was apparently a limited run of economy versions. Barrel length is the same as yours.

In 72 they did something similar to the sporting calling it 70A’s.

As @poco pointed out, you don’t have the barrel sling stud the safaris have, which I missed. Your barrel is too short for an Alaskan and the stock with the crossbolts isn’t that of an Alaskan. It’s possible it’s a replacement stock but given the example I found above you likely have whatever that is. Could be a special make for a specific retailer. Any way you slice it. It’s a nice 375, time to go put some animals in the salt with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available