Do German's just do it best?

Sabine Schmitz "Queen of the Nürburgring". Absolutely amazing what she could do on the 'ring, regardless of what she was driving. And yes, she was German. Rest in peace.

Last edited:
Stihl .. BMW .. Bosendorfer, endless, I'm sure.

stihls.jpg

bmw.jpg

Bosendorfer-170-gramd-piano-11039-DSCF6987-1024x1024.jpg

I think we are missing some important cultural points here.

Your average German hunter tends to be a bit more well to do than the average American hunter. It is certainly more difficult (and more expensive) to get a Jagdschein than your average American ticket. This carries with it some other follow on requirements.

With more disposable income, your average Jaeger is going to be more willing to invest in his equipment. Similarly, the companies making the arms will be working towards different price-points. And, of course, their target market is much smaller, so much more focused. And hand work is valued.

In the US, the average hunter wants reasonable accuracy, reasonable reliability, and more than reasonable price. Mass production is king. And you can find an incredibly accurate rife for a very low price. Pretty? Hand worked? No. Dead on balls accurate? In spades. Your American gun company needs to sell many more weapons to stay in business, and at a competitive price. Oh, and your average American hunter is probably not going to travel farther than he can drive, let alone to Africa.

When I was in Poland, my guide was very happy with his Ruger American in .308. It did not cost the bleeding eyes out of his head, and it was as reliable and accurate as some more expensive arms.

I find the car comparison also interesting. Having lived in Germany, I noticed things. For example, the starting price on a BMW is much lower there... but that BMW is NOT available in the US. US spec cars will have leather seats, larger engines, and all kinds of other "standard equipment" that is an extra cost option in Germany. The domestic target customer is much different than the export customer. Of course, when you're willing and able to spend more, you'll get much more. As far as Porsche/Aston Martin? One is a street legal race car, the other a GT. They are not at all the same thing. Every engineering choice is a compromise. The Porsche prioritized track performance. The Aston had some different things in mind.

The whole discussion is apples and oranges.
A lot of this comes from two influences. Historically, hunting in Germany and most of Europe was for the landed gentry. Poaching game on their property could result in a death sentence. Hunting for rich people produced a very expensive gun industry.

The Scotch Irish and Germans and other early settlers into America hunted for survival. Most of the land was unclaimed and game was plentiful. Hunting was for the common man. Guns had to be affordable and on target.

The factor IN MY OPINION, is that most Americans have become addicted to cheap goods. China, and to a lesser extent, Japan, did this to us. I know so many people with a safe full of $500-$2000 guns but few outside of these forums appreciate an expensive fine wood and steel gun - be it modern German or handcrafted Mauser/M70 based. (TX could be different)

Gun laws in Europe I think bred the modular rifle.

]][emoji[emoji6]][emoji6]" data-quote="yamoon" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
I’ll add my cents on G Wagons. I bought a new one in [emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6]], it now has ,[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]] miles on it. Nothing but problems from the day we bought it, too many to detail here. I will never own another German auto.
Mike

Well, not really a Mercedes or German. Magna-Steyr and Austria.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarineCane

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is jdfan@proton.me

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!