Do German's just do it best?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Mauser... Heym... Krieghoff... Merkel... Blaser... Sauer etc.

When it comes to fine hunting rifles, especially big bore DG ready rifles, do the Germans just do it best?

It really seems like the German's dominate the market for high-end, yet attainable firearms that don't require a second mortgage like their British counterparts.

Thoughts?

I’d agree, for the same reason as I’d rather buy a Porsche than an Aston Martin

To be a bit more precise, the Aston Martin is more desirable. But the better purchase in the long run will be the Porsche.

Just look at how many 20yo Astons you see on the roads vs 20yo Porsches

Look at how many 2nd hand British rifles are on sale compared to 2nd hand Heym 89b’s ( I’m not considering the other brands you mentioned)

The only German rifle I currently own is the Merkel 160AE but I’m currently lusting after a Mauser Magnum or Heym Express to pair it with.

Heym express Martini you cannot find, the older Heym express in 416 Rigby, I know of a few.

It’s like wine, a good bet is the house, but the vintage matters too.

With respect to production rifles, I think that may be true with a couple of exceptions. One area that does separate US gunmaking, and frankly has for a while, is the quality of true bespoke custom rifles. A rifle custom built for a customer by Craig Libhart, Todd Ramirez, Bailey Bradshaw, and number of other incredible craftsmen continues a tradition of American bespoke firearms that are as elegant and effective as anything created in London or on the Continent.

One gun that the Germans didn’t do better is the classic falling block sporting rifle.
They did all sorts of Sheutzen rifles but no sporting rifles in the classic period.
The Brits had that dialed to perfection.

In the category of “functional art” several countries and many individual craftsmen excel. But for off the shelf, mass production rifles? Where cost/benefit is matched with technical excellence? The Germans currently do it best in my opinion.

The Germans know how to make stuff. This goes back to well before WWII. I have a 1917 .30 luger pistol. The design and craftsmanship is really fun to examine.

In the operating room, German surgical instruments are superior to about anything else, especially the Pakistani stuff.

Good rifles are where you find them, but they certainly made/make some nice ones.

When it comes to fine hunting rifles, especially big bore DG ready rifles, do the Germans just do it best?

It really seems like the German's dominate the market for high-end, yet attainable firearms that don't require a second mortgage like their British counterparts.

Thoughts?
For cars yes, maybe lol And for nice high end rifles maybe? But only because the unions and liberals killed Winchester!!! No, the new Winchester is not a Winchester! Its a FN!
I’d take a New Haven M-70 and M-21 Custom Shop or Pre-64 over any German built rifle or shotgun…
But those are glory days now and some of these M-70 and M-21’s are running as high or higher than a new German guns sadly…

The Germans definitely make great guns, but America makes the best custom bolt actions, and many of the most accurate rifles in the world.

I have a Heym and an Anschutz (that has moved to America), that I love. But, (IMO) European manufacturers are being outpaced by innovative American companies, where field testers can shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds W/O government oversight and develop absolutely superb rifles and innovative new cartridges.

I try to argue with my son about classic rifles and cartridges, but I have to throw logic out the window, which is almost impossible for me, because I'm a scientist!

Sorry, my compadres, but in a country where there is absolutely no limit on numbers of firearms, no registration requirements, etc., the free market finds a way to make some of the best things in the world....

The Germans definitely make great guns, but America makes the best custom bolt actions, and many of the most accurate rifles in the world.

I have a Heym and an Anschutz (that has moved to America), that I love. But, (IMO) European manufacturers are being outpaced by innovative American companies, where field testers can shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds W/O government oversight and develop absolutely superb rifles and innovative new cartridges.

I try to argue with my son about classic rifles and cartridges, but I have to throw logic out the window, which is almost impossible for me, because I'm a scientist!

Sorry, my compadres, but in a country where there is absolutely no limit on numbers of firearms, no registration requirements, etc., the free market finds a way to make some of the best things in the world....
I’m not so sure of that although your connection to free ownership of firearms should result in a proliferation of fine makers.
I don’t really think that any American custom shop has matched the quality of Hartmann & Weiss as a standard.

Not that they couldn’t produce exceptional rifles, it’s just that I don’t know of any that make only best quality firearms.

I’m not so sure of that although your connection to free ownership of firearms should result in a proliferation of fine makers.
I don’t really think that any American custom shop has matched the quality of Hartmann & Weiss as a standard.

Not that they couldn’t produce exceptional rifles, it’s just that I don’t know of any that make only best quality firearms.
You obviously have not seen any highend builds from the top custom makers here!

Thoughts?
I believe the answer you are looking for is… yes.

Yes, I agree, as I own Sauers and Blaser, and just one English bolt action.
I love the Sauers, they are great rifles indeed, and they look beautiful.
That said, the most accurate and dependable rifle I've ever own, has been a Rem 700 in 300 Winch, sintetic stock - value 1/5 of my Sauers. Germans do great rifles, well built and good looking, but not better in general terms.

And in Suhl there many good
Makers also , Ziegenhahn&Sohn is one of several there .

One gun that the Germans didn’t do better is the classic falling block sporting rifle.
They did all sorts of Sheutzen rifles but no sporting rifles in the classic period.
The Brits had that dialed to perfection.
Those heerenbuchse are pretty nice and supposedly the shortest block system and one of the oldest.

I’d agree, for the same reason as I’d rather buy a Porsche than an Aston Martin

To be a bit more precise, the Aston Martin is more desirable. But the better purchase in the long run will be the Porsche.

Just look at how many 20yo Astons you see on the roads vs 20yo Porsches

Look at how many 2nd hand British rifles are on sale compared to 2nd hand Heym 89b’s ( I’m not considering the other brands you mentioned)
Your post reminded me of this ad for Aston Martin pre-owned…

IMG_0131.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrienneCo

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.