Disappointing PPU 9.3x62mm Brass

Picked up a bag of PPU 9.3x62mm brass. 22 out of 50 wouldn't fit the shell holder (RCBS #3).

That's the first and last time for me....
Not unusual for European brass. I have several calibers and just use a shellholder a little larger. Look in the shellholder charts. Quite often have 2 options.
 
This is also a great example of why choosing and sticking to one brand of brass can be important when setting up a Mauser extractor. The variability of these dimensions among brands can have an effect on function. My Lapua 9.3 brass is ridiculously consistent.
 
This is also a great example of why choosing and sticking to one brand of brass can be important when setting up a Mauser extractor. The variability of these dimensions among brands can have an effect on function. My Lapua 9.3 brass is ridiculously consistent.
That is why Lapua was regarded as the best for years. They now have a lot of competition. That's not a bad thing.
 
My Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62 has some issues with the crf bolt chewing up some of the PPU 9.3 cases.
No other problems...I just break out a little piece of fine sand paper to buff off the dings...
 
Well, two more shell holders later, (Lee & Redding) the failing 22 pieces of brass still fail to fit.

I'm sending them back for a refund, and going forward will continue with Norma when it comes to anything remotely European....
 
@Puddle , did you order your brass from Graf and Sons recently?
I ordered some from there, should be delivered today. I'll check them out and see what mine are like. Hopefully this is not going to be a continuing theme.
 
I recently bought PPU from Grafs. Same issue with a #3 RCBS. A different shell holder worked (Hornady).
 
I opened one bag of 2 that I ordered, I didn't try every case in the Lee shellholder (did 2 dozen), 2 out of three were really difficult to fit. I had to lay the shellholder and case horizontally on the bench top and really push with my thumb to remove. This is a brand new #2 shellholder.
I also have a Lee Universal Shellholder kit I've had for a number of years, tried the No. 2 from it and all was fine! So I do have that to work with.
 
My order is supposed to get here tomorrow. I’ve always used the LEE holder with no problems. Let’s see what happens tomorrow.
 
Have had issues w/ diff size (or swaged) primer pockets on PPU (22-250 comes to mind-had to use a reaming tool to get it to proper size.) Once that was done, no issues. Was this new brass or fired? (mine was previously fired factory ammo.)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,231
Members
169,975
Latest member
DFFSFSF2026
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top