Dip and packing information

Switchback2010

Reaction score
Hello
Looking for any information on dipping and packing trophies and shipping from South Africa to Ontario Canada
How is the cost determined?
Or is it better to have full taxidermy done in rsa then shipped ?
Any info is appreciated!
Thanks

Just in general, the South African shop had rates based on the animals as far as price. Then there is usually a percentage of the D&P for the crating. Shipping will be on top of that.

As to having the work done in South Africa or shipping it home, it's up to you. I've done it both ways. Having the mounts done in South Africa in 2022 was slightly cheaper even with the shipping than it would of cost me at my local taxidermist. But I had the mounts on my walls a good year quicker using the South African taxidermist

We don't do any dip and pack stuff. Due to Canada govt regs it is getting harder to find taxidermists who will handle it. My suggestion would be to order bleached skulls (they call them dip & pack skulls), not euro which will have plaques attached (= more $ and more chance of screwing up). Also order your capes dry tanned. Taxidermist here is not bothered with govt regs for fully tanned capes. He will rehydrate the capes and mount to forms. Still, it is always a crap shoot what you will get from Africa. The cape can be screwed up by any one of various handlers: skinner, improperly salted (= hair slippage), improper fleshing (taxidermist), improper tanning, improper storage (taxidermist or shipper), etc. But if you order a skull you'll at least have something better than horns nailed to a board if the cape is no good. Also, be sure to specify you want BLEACHED skulls NOT PAINTED.

I have four tanned capes from Africa waiting for my daughter to mount: two kudu, one nyala, and a black wildebeest. One kudu cape is good for pedestal mount, the other had hair slip. The nyala cape is probably unusable due to missing hair (a very old bull) and a bad nick on the chin of wildebeest will be a challenge to repair. Many skulls were messed up but I was able to pretty much salvage most of them.
20240826_102825.jpg

Skull Hooker above kudu horns is for client's bison skull that we are finishing up. I hung it up to clear work space while jaw is being bleached. Yeah, I know, jaw on a bison will look dopey ... but client is always right. Pfft. I'm sure I'll wind up removing it. For a price. I'm not a big fan of Skull Hookers. Client wanted it.

We don't do any dip and pack stuff. Due to Canada govt regs it is getting harder to find taxidermists who will handle it. My suggestion would be to order bleached skulls (they call them dip & pack skulls), not euro which will have plaques attached (= more $ and more chance of screwing up). Also order your capes dry tanned. Taxidermist here is not bothered with govt regs for fully tanned capes. He will rehydrate the capes and mount to forms. Still, it is always a crap shoot what you will get from Africa. The cape can be screwed up by any one of various handlers: skinner, improperly salted (= hair slippage), improper fleshing (taxidermist), improper tanning, improper storage (taxidermist or shipper), etc. But if you order a skull you'll at least have something better than horns nailed to a board if the cape is no good. Also, be sure to specify you want BLEACHED skulls NOT PAINTED.

I have four tanned capes from Africa waiting for my daughter to mount: two kudu, one nyala, and a black wildebeest. One kudu cape is good for pedestal mount, the other had hair slip. The nyala cape is probably unusable due to missing hair (a very old bull) and a bad nick on the chin of wildebeest will be a challenge to repair. Many skulls were messed up but I was able to pretty much salvage most of them.
View attachment 629560
Skull Hooker above kudu horns is for client's bison skull that we are finishing up. I hung it up to clear work space while jaw is being bleached. Yeah, I know, jaw on a bison will look dopey ... but client is always right. Pfft. I'm sure I'll wind up removing it. For a price. I'm not a big fan of Skull Hookers. Client wanted it.
Thanks for the info!
Thinking it may be better to have the taxidermy done there
That’s how I did it last time
It took a long time to get it back and the quality isn’t the greatest but at least it all showed !
I will talk with the outfitter as well
Thanks !

Thanks for the info!
Thinking it may be better to have the taxidermy done there
That’s how I did it last time
It took a long time to get it back and the quality isn’t the greatest but at least it all showed !
I will talk with the outfitter as well
Thanks !
Be careful! Shipping costs have increased dramatically the last couple of years. Getting shoulder/pedestal mounts shipped across the pond has become plum ridiculous. Another reason to go with skulls and tanned capes. A dozen animals can come over in the same small crate. You can still expect $2K for shipping. Trophies on forms will be panty-dropper expensive. Then you don't know what you'll get. If it's crap, you're just screwed. Can't take a skull mount out of a shoulder mount. Skull is gone. Then the best you can do to salvage is a cap mount of horns stuck on a board. Meah! If the tanned cape is shit, your taxidermist here will/SHOULD tell you in time to cut your losses and hang up the euro skull. Taxidermist can then keep his eye open for replacement cape. Would still be a significant financial setback but much better than paying for shoulder mount in Africa AND huge freight bill only to find the mounts are dumpster material.

Be careful! Shipping costs have increased dramatically the last couple of years. Getting shoulder/pedestal mounts shipped across the pond has become plum ridiculous. Another reason to go with skulls and tanned capes. A dozen animals can come over in the same small crate. You can still expect $2K for shipping. Trophies on forms will be panty-dropper expensive. Then you don't know what you'll get. If it's crap, you're just screwed. Can't take a skull mount out of a shoulder mount. Skull is gone. Then the best you can do to salvage is a cap mount of horns stuck on a board. Meah! If the tanned cape is shit, your taxidermist here will/SHOULD tell you in time to cut your losses and hang up the euro skull. Taxidermist can then keep his eye open for replacement cape. Would still be a significant financial setback but much better than paying for shoulder mount in Africa AND huge freight bill only to find the mounts are dumpster material.
Good point !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa