Developing a .404 Jeff Cast Bullet plinking / practice load

For my 404J practice/plinker rounds I use a 400 gr. cast, gas checked bullet with 36 grains of 5744 and a LR primer. Velocity is about 1700 - 1800 fps. Pussycat load and accurate.

Hello Mike,

Did you get hold of Bengal Bullets?
I looked at their website and the product seems attractive and reasonably priced. I believe that AZDave is also interested. PM me and we can discuss.

Hi guys any more news on this thread. Interested in getting my ticket here for the 404j
Bullets were ordered and received. They look good, but I have not loaded any so no further info available.

Has anybody here ordered these .424 390grn coated GC slugs from Bengal bullets?

Any .404 Jeff reloaders here using this 390grn .404/.424 coated GC “Bengal” slugs from this company? If so, can you give a quick evaluation on performance?
Bullets were ordered and received. They look good, but I have not loaded any so no further info available.

Nevada Mike said:
Okay, thanks!

I assume they arrived coated and gas-checked, as depicted in the picture? Also, their ad says "390 grain," but did you weigh any of these?

I'm unclear whether 390grns is the nominal weight of the slug before or after the coating and the G.C. are added?

Mike, Bengal bullets gives an option on these bullets for either “20 BHN hardness” or “air-cooled.” …. Which did you go with? Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.57.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.57.34 AM.png
    798.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.57.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.57.38 AM.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 30
Okay, thanks!

I assume they arrived coated and gas-checked, as depicted in the picture? Also, their ad says "390 grain," but did you weigh any of these?

I'm unclear whether 390grns is the nominal weight of the slug before or after the coating and the G.C. are added?
They arrived powder coated with gas checks and, IIRC, weight on my scale was about 390 grains. I do not recall which hardness they were,

I have some 535 cast lead bullets for my 500 Jeffery for jack rabbits and such. I called Accurate Powders and they sent me an email with recommended reduced loads using their Accurate 5744. Worked great and chronographed almost identically with their datra.

I have some 535 cast lead bullets for my 500 Jeffery for jack rabbits and such. I called Accurate Powders and they sent me an email with recommended reduced loads using their Accurate 5744. Worked great and chronographed almost identically with their datra.
I did the same and loaded 400 grain Cast PC / GC practice loads for my 404 with 36 grains of Accurate 5744. Nice light accurate load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg