AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
TX,AK,PA,AZ,FL,AL,GA,SC,ME, PHILIPPINES, NAMIBIA, SOUTH AFRICA, ZIMBABWE, ARGENTINA, CANADA
OKAY I'LL GIVE YOU THE BACK STORY FIRST. SON BUYS 7O GAL. TOTES FROM HOME DEPOT AND I ORDER EVERYTHING I CAN'T FIND HERE FROM AMAZON, EBAY ETC. FOR HIM TO LOAD IN AND SHIP TO ME HERE IN COSTA RICA. WHILE BACK I BOUGHT 100 ROUNDS OF 9.3X74R AMMO ON GUNBROKER FOR HIS DOUBLE, THE SELLER USED AN OLD EBAY BOX TO PACK THEM IN AND MY SON DIDN'T PAY ATTENTION AND IN THE TOTE THEY WENT SO I GOT THEM HERE IN COSTA RICA. DON'T NEED EM HERE, DOUBT THERE IS A RIFLE IN COSTA RICA TO USE THEM IN AND THEY ARE PROBABLY ILLEGAL FOR ME TO HAVE NOT BEING A CITIZEN YET. HATE TO JUST THROW AWAY $600+ SO HERE IS MY PLAN AND QUESTION:
EASY ENOUGH TO GET A BULLET PULLING "HAMMER", PULL THE BULLETS AND DUMP THE POWDER. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS GOING TO BEST WAY FOR ME TO REMOVE THE LIVE PRIMERS? GET THEM OUT AND THEN I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT THROWING BULLETS OR BRASS IN MY SUITCASE ON A TRIP BACK AND WE CAN HAVE SOMEBODY RELOAD THEM.
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS.
PURA VIDA, SETH

If you do not have a universal decapping die I would recommend getting one for your reloading press.
I have removed many live primers from cases and never had a problem. I have been told that you can fill the case with water for a day and it will render the priming compound inert but never saw the need as I keep all body parts away from the mouth of the case being deprimed.

Universal decapping die in a reloading press - slow and careful. Preferably by someone there who already reloads and is familiar with the process.

Eye protection mandatory regardless who does it. It is dangerous, btw.

I just had to kick out a few that did not fully seat in brand new Norma 338WM brass. (Despite uniforming the tight-ass primer pockets at least twice.)

I've heard the water method works, but I've successfully used WD40.

Yes, the same carefuuuuly!
Yes, carefully. I just want the primer to barely drop so it lands and sits on top of the press. Otherwise it can roll into the slot for decapper spring. Not a good place for live primer! Then I have to stop everything and drive out the decapper pivot pin to carefully remove the decapper arm and spring while keeping the live primer from getting lose and rolling off to parts unknown.

I’ve used a couple drops of gun oil to deactivate the primer then de-prime. Goes without saying the eyepro is on.

Safely removing primers with a press is fairly straightforward as the potential blast is relatively contained. Without a press, extreme caution is advised.

I’m guessing that you don’t have a reloading press in Costa Rica? If not, I would drill a hole in a board somewhat larger than the primer. I would get a long punch that will fit down through the casing and flash hole. I would then place the primed case over the hole and slowly apply pressure to the punch down through the casing until the primer pushes out. Perhaps setting up a simple lever would be the easiest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runningman

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?