Denys Finch Hatton rifle for sale

Here's a question. Let's say you are loaded to the gills with money and you buy the rifle at auction.

Would it sit in a glass case in your trophy room or would you actually take it to Africa and use it on plains game? After all it does come with some ammo.

Were the buyer Bill Jones, he would use it.

Here's a question. Let's say you are loaded to the gills with money and you buy the rifle at auction.

Would it sit in a glass case in your trophy room or would you actually take it to Africa and use it on plains game? After all it does come with some ammo.
I’m hunting with it but i don’t have that kind of money

I thought I would register for this auction and found out you have to send in sealed bids in advance. Am I reading it correctly. Is this true?

Has anybody bid or bought from this auction site before?

Looking at the catalog for this auction. Many U.S. western style firearms are listed at 5x the amount as the Deny (associated) rifle.

And the highest prices ever paid for firearms tend to be from the U.S. western “cowboy” era.

Strange considering that those firearms were not relatively expensive when new. And there were more of them. Compared to what a “Best” British rifle cost new 100 years ago and the highest they have ever brought at auction.

Someone that has more auction knowledge please weigh in.

I've purchased several rifles from RIA. You can bid live (via proxy) or send in a sealed bid. You can also watch the live bid over Zoom. It takes a bit of factoring because there are auction premiums and other costs to consider too. In all they are very efficient and package rifles very, very well for shipment (at least in my cases). Every once in a great while you do get a "diamond in the rough". I won a sad looking .256 Mannlicher on auction very cheap. I cleaned it up and sent pics of the deconstructed rifle to Mr. Crudgington at G. Gibbs rifles. Yep! its a M1900 action that was built out by George Gibbs!

I’ll have to look again. I didn’t see a way to get pre approved to bid live. They do have steep fees added on top.

Sure thing. Go to their webpage then on to the catalog of the specific auction. Then put in the lot number or search term. For example: Lot #571 is a Westley Richards .318 Accelerated Express. On the right hand side you can see yellow buttons for a phone bid or sealed bid. You'll have to register and give them a credit card #, then get vetted by them (they'll check your card to see if it is legit), then you can bid. Good Luck!

Over the years I have bought a couple of rifles from them - one a Lee Speed. Their buyer's premium is high, but unfortunately, in line with many other auction houses. Their "sealed bid" is essentially the same as other auctions. You place your maximum and on auction day hope no one outbids you.

The collecting of high value American firearms has more in common with coin collecting than finding good guns. Value is based upon rarity of the particular model, desirability from a collector's point of view, and accurate percent of original condition. It is why their is something of a cottage industry in faking condition. Also, because there are relatively more of them, the collecting base is much larger for let's say a Model 1873 Winchester than a WR Droplock. That, in turn, drives competition and prices.

European guns, which were often refreshed by the gunmaker, tend to be priced according to current condition and user rather than collector desirability. They tend to have collector value when they are associated with a particular desirable provenance.

For instance, a nice WR .577 double with full coverage rose and scroll engraving in 85% condition will sell at auction for between $35 and 50 thousand. Ernest Hemingway's sold through Julia in 2011 for $340,000.

Attachments

• Thomas Stuart's One of One Thousand Winchester Model 1873 Rifle | Rock Island Auction.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
The rifle sold for 35000 US on auction this week .
I’ve been told there’s a good chance it makes its way to DSC next month.

Not bad considering the amount of Winchester lever guns going for nearly double that amount.

Woodcarver, it’s shocking the amount of old Winchesters and revolvers that bring large sums of money at auction.

I recently held an 1873 that was one of 300 built. And it had several items that were special orders. There are hundreds, if not more unique little details that make one model rare or desirable in that gun world. Not even considering who owned it. It’s hard to keep up.

There obviously are more people willing to spend more on old Winchesters than double rifles and the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albertha68

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.