Delta vs United (higher end economy)

D-Orcutt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
About to book my flight to East London airport eastern cape. I can’t afford/justify first class but will be looking premium economy seats. I’m 6’1 and all legs I can suffer on shorter flights in the back but 15 hours the extra $700 each way is worth the leg room between delta and united who has the better set up?

Personally, there is way, I would fly Eco or Business on United anywhere, unless I can't avoid it.

We flew Delta over the last time and got the Comfort + seats. They were alright. The televisions in the headrests were the best part.

About to book my flight to East London airport eastern cape. I can’t afford/justify first class but will be looking premium economy seats. I’m 6’1 and all legs I can suffer on shorter flights in the back but 15 hours the extra $700 each way is worth the leg room between delta and united who has the better set up?
where are you flying out of?

honestly, I'd choose just about any international carrier over any US carrier for international travel if Im in economy or premium economy...

Qatar, Emirates, even Turkish are all going to treat you better, have better aircraft amenities, etc..

Between the two, United with a bulkhead seat. Delta's too much on switching seats at the gate.

I have flown United's Premium Economy, the 6" extra legroom is a real bonus, the width of the seat is the same as the regular seats. I've never flown Delta to Africa. This past March I flew Qatar, and I am flying Qatar this September again, great airline, great service.

I fly a lot of long haul Delta and just did the Atlanta to Joberg trip. I have flown a lot of economy and comfort plus on these long haul flights. On my recent South Africa trip we used miles to upgrade to Delta one on the way over, it was well worth it, we did Premium Select on the way back, I did not like the foot rest setup and did not feel that Premium Select was giving me much over Comfort Plus for the money. Next time I will stay with Comfort Plus which I think is a worthwhile upgrade from basic economy with Delta long haul flights.

Good luck on your hunts and travels.

I've flown the United Premium Economy to RSA and it was $750 more over basic at the time we booked. I rationalized it as an extra $375 each way and it was money well, well spent. They are very comfortable seats. You are able to recline quite a bit and there is a foot rest that pops up. There were a couple guys on the flight who ended up at the same camp. They remarked how our seats look really nice.

Polaris was the next level up and were $10,500 round trip for comparison.

where are you flying out of?

honestly, I'd choose just about any international carrier over any US carrier for international travel if Im in economy or premium economy...

Qatar, Emirates, even Turkish are all going to treat you better, have better aircraft amenities, etc..
I live in NW Arkansas so layovers but final airport was Newark last time but doesn’t matter to me as far as departure international airport

I have flown United's Premium Economy, the 6" extra legroom is a real bonus, the width of the seat is the same as the regular seats. I've never flown Delta to Africa. This past March I flew Qatar, and I am flying Qatar this September again, great airline, great service.
Flying with guns any issue?

I live in NW Arkansas so layovers but final airport was Newark last time but doesn’t matter to me as far as departure international airport

Just a heads up if you're coming back through Newark: CBP checks every single firearm coming back into the country through there. They will check every number and letter of your serial. Its a very, very slow process. Our flight from RSA was really delayed coming back and a bunch of hunters on the flight missed their connecting flight back to Texas. Make sure you leave a lot of time with your connecting flight coming back.

I am unlikely to fly out of NY or NJ with guns. Delta Comfort+ is what you are looking for. It is the sweet spot on price and comfort. If Premium Select is $3500 or less I would consider it.

Flying with guns any issue?
I am one of the lucky hunters who has flown to Africa 6-8 times on United with zero incident. So long as you allow 2 to 3 hours of layover in Newark on your way back through you will be good to go. Flying on Qatar, again, no issues, but they will require more paperwork. They will want a copy of your 4457, copy of your passport, letter of invitation, and they will take pictures of your gun and probably count your rounds of ammo. The process, while simple enough, takes about 25 minutes as opposed to 10 with United. But when given the choice between United and Qatar, I would not hesitate to fly Qatar, especially if you can get a Q-suite seat for some of the flights, those seats and service are amazing.

I'm from central AR and will be traveling with a buddy from NWA next May. Is flying through Newark any cheaper? Last time I went Delta through ATL, but looking for cheaper options.

I'm from central AR and will be traveling with a buddy from NWA next May. Is flying through Newark any cheaper? Last time I went Delta through ATL, but looking for cheaper options.
I feel like the prices fluctuate between 1500 and 2100 for the cheapest flights and I haven’t noticed any price difference between airports

Just a heads up if you're coming back through Newark: CBP checks every single firearm coming back into the country through there. They will check every number and letter of your serial. Its a very, very slow process. Our flight from RSA was really delayed coming back and a bunch of hunters on the flight missed their connecting flight back to Texas. Make sure you leave a lot of time with your connecting flight coming back.
This is exactly what happened in ATL when we returned on Sat on DL201. The elevator to the little glass room where you normally collect your rifles was broken, so we did it where the naughty folks get sent. They checked every serial number versus your 4457 and sprayed down every boot. We landed early - something like 745a and it was 915a before we were headed out the door. Could have been much worse if there were more than the dozen or so of us with checked rifles.

The guy checking in our rifles in JNB tried to shake each of us down for a tip. In one case, there were two guys in the little room at JNB where they check in the rifles - and they threw down a $20 bill and said "this is what is required to ensure your rifle makes it onto your flight in good condition." :mad:

We flew in Premium Select and paid $2300/ea as I recall. PS was decent - think it was about $600 more than Comfort+ when we booked.

20240512_114747.jpg

For legroom on the ATL to JNB or the return, book towards the back!
I don't understand not waiting an extra five minutes to get off when you've been on for fifteen hours.

Couple of other perks to being on the back of the big Airbus. You've got a service station directly behind you and restrooms at the bulkhead in front of you.
You can get up and stretch your legs.

Imo, Comfort Plus isn't much roomier.

I am flying Delta bulkhead row 30 of comfort+ in a few weeks and again in September. I flew Premium Select last year and enjoyed it.

Flew United last month. STL to Newark to Joburg to Port Elizabeth. The short flights were basic economy. The Newark to Johannesburg leg we did the comfort plus or economy plus whatever its called. I was plenty comfortable. Flights weren't full so you could sprawl out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anibal67M7

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.