Delta DL200 September 21, 2024

My wife owns a travel agency and fortunately does not book flights. But her rule to all her clients when traveling internationally for vacations, cruises, whatever is to travel a day or two earlier than you need to be there. Yes, it can be a couple of wasted days if things all go right, but you can always find a way to relax when you are comfortably at your destination city. If things go wrong, which this thread shows they will, you have an extra day or two to go to plan B, C, or D. She has had numerous clients who have not heeded this valuable advice that have missed cruises, had to cancel trips, or were stranded at airports for 24-48 hours. I always fly into Africa a day or two early because missing a day of hunting is like having a football player kick me in the family jewels, twice!

Upon arrival in Atlanta from Montana we were informed that our flight to Johannesburg SA would be delayed from 9:10 pm until 11:15 pm . At about 11 we boarded the plane and were looking forward to the chicken dinner we ordered in select seating.
At 1:00 am the flight was cancelled.
We were told that we would be rebooked automatically and our luggage would follow us wherever our rebooking took us .
We were told to hurry and catch the last shuttle to our free accommodations for the night.
Arriving at a Raddison we went to sleep at about 3:00 am
I got up at 7:30 am and saw no rebooking on my phone,so I called Delta at 1 800 221 1212 and got to a person after jumping over their bullshit hurdles (auto attendants)and a nice lady said we could fly to San Paulo Brazil on Tuesday, wait a day and then Wednesday fly to Johannesburg arriving Thursday and then fly to Port Elizabeth on Friday.
Our trip went from a Monday arrival to Friday. Our 10 day hunt had dropped to 6 days . My son could not extend his already 2 weeks vacation.
I pulled the plug and was able to make an 11 am flight ( without any luggage / guns of course) yesterday . We ate nothing but airplane snacks for 24 hours.
Our luggage is to be delivered 90 miles from Bozeman sometime this afternoon . Not all our luggage . One gun is on its way back from somewhere to Bozeman today and should get here tomorrow.
I rebooked with John X safaris for same time next year and Delta is refunding our flights.
On the bright side we got a free plane ride home in the last row (45) right next to the shitter !
Next year we will do it all over again .
I am going out bird hunting with my boy Rusty right now.View attachment 635913

Sorry to hear this. Sounds like a nightmare!

It has been two weeks now and my son’s Blaser set has finally reached Helena Mt.
Ricky got a call Friday from a delta representative who said he can come over from Anaconda where he lives and get his guns.
Shortly after that the same rep called and said he needed to wait because the guns require a customs clearance because they travelled to Brazil. Paperwork needs to be signed you know. Customs will open on Monday and Ricky needs to call then. What a joke. But, it is not funny.

hopefully by next April Delta will have gotten their act together since I will be flying on them April 4th, 2025. last trip was no issue at all

Sorry to here about the troubles! Has Delta switched over to Air Bus or are they still flying Boeing? I heard they are switching just don’t know if they have yet.
A350 for that flight. New planes

Fly Qatar, Turkish, or Emirates next time. This exact horse shit is why I won't fly Delta or United.
True. The problem is Delta has one flight a day and it is always full. When there is a cancellation there is NO WAY to ever accommodate everyone.

True. The problem is Delta has one flight a day and it is always full. When there is a cancellation there is NO WAY to ever accommodate everyone.
Good to know. Yet another reason not to fly with them to JNB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarinaWyan

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]