Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hi all,

This is mostly directed to our European members, as I believe it improbable that our overseas friends have much experience with this bullet maker, or have even heard of him.

But who can tell me about their experiences with Degol bullets (from Wim Degol)? Especially in .500NE caliber softs and solids. Apparently Labour für Ballistik from Germany uses these for their commercial ammunition.

Looking forward to some feedback and comparison to other bullet makers perhaps.

I’m trying to find a good and cheap solution to highly performing .500NE ammunition for a sxs double rifle that will mostly be pointing towards elephant and buffalo.

Thanks and cheers!

V.

The best lead cored bullets in the business. They make tombac jacketed soft points & FMJ solids (slightly flattened at the point). My friend and former employee, Jabbar Mollah exclusively uses 410Gr Wim Degol bullets in his .425 Nitro Express Westley Richards Mauser. I've also used 900Gr FMJ solids (Labor Fur Ballistik factory loads) fired out of a .600 Nitro Express to hunt a hippopotamus bull on land.

Barring the rifling grooves and a very slight amount of riveting, the bullets looked at if they could be fired again. In my personal experience, the tombac jacket is no handicap compared to steel jacketed FMJ solids (as found on currently manufactured Hornady Dangerous Game Solid bullets).

The bullets from Degol are only comparable to those from Woodleigh, but in the majority of cases the bullets are stronger in terms of wall thickness and imho surely one of the best lead cored bullets for big bore cartridges nowadays. Unfortunately I have no experience with the cartridge 500 Nitro Express.

Contacting Mr. Degol is also easy. He recently made me by order FMJ bullets for the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler. Not comparable to what Woodleigh had available for this cartridge until recently.

IMG_0001 (2).jpeg

Such recommendations from @Hunter-Habib and @grand veneur can only mean they must be very good. Thank you for your input!

I have exchanged a bit with Wim, who I asked about comparison to CEB or North Fork. He was not very fond of monometal bullets for older rifles or the need for a méplat. Rather pointing to Woodleigh as a comparison and 100 years of bullet design that works.

Have either of you experience with Wim’s solids in .416 caliber and up?

Last edited:
Such recommendations from @Hunter-Habib and @grand veneur can only mean they must be very good. Thank you for your input!

I have exchanged a bit with Wim, who I asked about comparison to CEB or North Fork. He was not very fond of monometal bullets for older rifles or the need for a méplat. Rather pointing to Woodleigh as a comparison and 100 years of bullet design that works.

Have either of you experience with Wim’s solids in .416 caliber and up?
Yes, VertigoBE. I used the 900Gr FMJ solids out of a .600 Nitro Express (Labor Fur Ballistik factory loads) for hunting a hippopotamus bull on land. Barring the rifling grooves and a very slight amount of riveting, the bullets looked at if they could be fired again. In my personal experience, the tombac jacket is no handicap compared to steel jacketed FMJ solids (as found on currently manufactured Hornady Dangerous Game Solid bullets).

Jabbar Mollah exclusily employs the Wim Degol 410Gr FMJ solid out of his .425 Westley Richards for hunting elephants on his African safaris. He thinks extremely highly of them, as well.

I live in the US, and I own a 425 WR. Right now it is nearly impossible to get bullets soft or solid for the 425. I have always used Woodleigh bullets but there is no longer a dealer for Woodleigh in the states plus since their fire they are still trying to get back up to speed. I wish we had a dealer for Degol or Rhino bullets in the US.

I live in the US, and I own a 425 WR. Right now it is nearly impossible to get bullets soft or solid for the 425. I have always used Woodleigh bullets but there is no longer a dealer for Woodleigh in the states plus since their fire they are still trying to get back up to speed. I wish we had a dealer for Degol or Rhino bullets in the US.
I was on the Hawk bullets website, because they were brought up in another thread, and they make a few softs for the 425 WR.

The best lead cored bullets in the business. They make tombac jacketed soft points & FMJ solids (slightly flattened at the point). My friend and former employee, Jabbar Mollah exclusively uses 410Gr Wim Degol bullets in his .425 Nitro Express Westley Richards Mauser. I've also used 900Gr FMJ solids (Labor Fur Ballistik factory loads) fired out of a .600 Nitro Express to hunt a hippopotamus bull on land.

Barring the rifling grooves and a very slight amount of riveting, the bullets looked at if they could be fired again. In my personal experience, the tombac jacket is no handicap compared to steel jacketed FMJ solids (as found on currently manufactured Hornady Dangerous Game Solid bullets).
That is some high praise! You really think they are superior to Swift bullets? I have always thought Swift soft point bullets to be the king of lead core expanding bullets.

I have never seen these in the states... Wonder if someone could import them.

That is some high praise! You really think they are superior to Swift bullets? I have always thought Swift soft point bullets to be the king of lead core expanding bullets.

I have never seen these in the states... Wonder if someone could import them.
@matt85

I would personally rank them as equal to Swift A Frame. Except for Mr. Degol's Lion Load. Those bullets are slightly superior to Swift A Frames for use against the great cats.

I was on the Hawk bullets website, because they were brought up in another thread, and they make a few softs for the 425 WR.
Yes it seems Hawk bullets are my only choice at this point. I briefly used Hawk bullets in my 1895 405 Winchester before settling on a load using Barnes TSX bullets. I wish I could get Rhino solid shank bullets for the 425 due to the fact I live in communist California, which required lead free bullets for hunting. So no wild pig hunts for the 425.

As far as I know, Andrew Holden of Holdencustomguns in Paderborn Germany, does some business with people in the US. Perhaps he might be of help, getting Wim Degol's bullets to customers in the States.
info@Holden.de

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlaudiaCha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]