Dave from Nanaimo

Met my late wife in 1987 when she was living in Nanaimo. I was a park ranger at Olympic and she was working at Little Quillacum Falls provincial park. Magical times. Fortunately, she was able to take our daughter out there for vacation a few months before car accident claimed her fourteen years ago last week.

I think the 45 was great on the zebra. Would have I been a more experienced hunting shooter, these animals would have dropped much earlier with a shoulder shot. Not sure if lung or heart shot would make them drop as fast as they had a lot of adrenaline to keep them going.

It made for an entertaining hunt, having to chase them around to get close enough for a shot. I’m flat to about 120yds, drop 4” at 150yds and 12” at 200yds. Being able to range them would allow proper drop compensation. The crew told me they heard a very nice smack as the bullet hit the zebra (I couldn’t hear it with ear protection tho). Easy tracking due to the big hole pumping out blood.

On our first day, as I was being curious about where to shoot my animals, my PH said: “Don’t worry. With your gun, if you shoot him in the ass, he’s dead.”

Despite one being shot behind the shoulder in the ribs and the other one in the neck, they both didn’t go very far and were easy to track. They indeed were dead no matter where I shot them. Other hunter shot one in the chest with a 30-06, it ran for a mile then shot again with a 270WSM and ran another half mile before dying. Big bore won over raw energy.

They are beautiful animals to watch and handle. Was very excited especially about my second one when we walked up to it as we did quite the car chase of the herd for about 2 miles waiting for them to stop near a road. Would love to do it again.

View attachment 641276View attachment 641277
Well done, Big bullets work! Zebra can be bullet proof.

Please tell me what your 45-70 Mizzle velocity was and what bullet you used. I am very curious. Thanks for the reply.

Brian Gallup
Kamloops BC

Met my late wife in 1987 when she was living in Nanaimo. I was a park ranger at Olympic and she was working at Little Quillacum Falls provincial park. Magical times. Fortunately, she was able to take our daughter out there for vacation a few months before car accident claimed her fourteen years ago last week.
Ontario, That is a happy and sad report. Blessings, Brian

Well done, Big bullets work! Zebra can be bullet proof.

Please tell me what your 45-70 Mizzle velocity was and what bullet you used. I am very curious. Thanks for the reply.

Brian Gallup
Kamloops BC
I was using a 325gr hard cast RNFP gas check going about 1900fps. Similar ballistics to the Hornady FTX factory loads, but more consistent for my rifle. I’m about to chrono some hotter loads to see if I can improve on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kendyl

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia