Dan wesson 1911 engraved bbq gun

Where I live you, can carry or you can drink, but you can’t do both. Almost every BBQ I go to, alcohol is a side dish. I don’t need people saying “just don’t drink” I understand that. I want to ask; where bbq guns are a thing, are they generally carried unloaded since they’re “shown off”? Do people drink beer/whiskey? It’s an interesting concept but I’ve always found the practice of carrying an unloaded gun purely for showing off a bit confusing.

The term goes back to Texas around the turn of the century thru WW2...ish. It was the "thing to have" when attending high brow celebrations, bbq's, gatherings of well off folks and even political get togethers etc. Show off how your high end custom pistol or revolver. Gents when gathering in their finest clothes would switch out their carry gun to a doll'd up version. When it really got big was after the 1911 became the "it" gun following WW1 with any solid engraver getting in lots of requests to doll up gents 1911 variants.

My father-in law who sadly passed away a couple years ago (age 93) was from Texas and he had lots of stories about growing up and going to other ranches for birthdays, weddings, celebrations and the like, and even attending political rallies where gents showed off their finest carry "BBQ guns". He said it was always just a matter of time when the opportune moment would arise after a few cold ones or stiff ones had been ingested that the BBQ guns would find their way out of the shoulder holsters or belt rigs. That was another big thing Jake talked about was the fine leather should holster rigs the ranchers and others would have the pistols/revolvers in...just about as nice as the guns themselves. Always both firearm and leather had their brand and or ranch name incorporated in the engraving etc. When i think BBQ guns the one that always comes to mind first is the Colt "CATTLE BRANDS" 1911 government with all the different registered ranch brands from over the years. Google search "Colt Texas Ranch Brands 1911" and im sure you will get close to the particular variant im yacking about.

Sorry about this getting longer than it probably needed to be...caught up remembering some of the stories Jake shared with me as well...there were some "doosies" including BBQ gun shooting competitions after ingesting libations at some of these events! LOL!

BBQ GUNS ARE COOL IN MY BOOK! :cool::LOL:

hacker-texasguns-6.jpg
HJA22-TYLER-Brand-Gun-1.jpg
HJA22-TYLER-Brand-Gun-6.jpg
1850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read a ton of American literature about the guns.
And I have never heard about bbq gun.

Then I went to all mighty and all knowing google, and asked a question. What is a bbq gun?
This is the answer.
The BBQ gun is a type of handgun every serious gun aficionado should own at least one of. It's a bit fancier than your Typical Tactical Tupperware and is usually a revolver; if not, it's an all steel auto pistol. Engraving is common, but not required.

Thank you gentlemen for directing my searches. And improving my knowledge.
The thing that I am missing in my inventory, is something exactly like that.
All my guns have a specific utility purpose, either for hunting or for paper. If I dont see a specific use of a gun, I deny myself buying on impuls, just becasue I like it.

And I was looking for a reason to buy Colt 1911, classic, single stack, 45 acp, no rails (as it once was).
Now I have a reason. I need a bbq gun.
(y)

Last edited:
Id buy a hi-point before a kimber
But would you have bought a Dan Wesson 1911 “before a Kimber” 25 years ago? I think in the 1990s Kimber was more highly regarded — and higher priced$$$

Why all the Kimber hate? TheLovelyMrs and I each have a 1st gen Kimber Compact, I have NEVER had an issue with either.
Not so much her Colt Officers ACP of slightly earlier vintage.
But, to tell the whole truth, Our Dan Wesson Pointmans ar nicer pistols than the Kimbers.

Ok. I’ll show my ignorance. What is a
“BBQ gun”? Being from Texas, the home of the best BBQ on the planet, I feel it’s something I should know. (Now don’t go showing your ignorance trying to argue my best BBQ comment. )
Beat me to it..thanks for asking, as I hadn't a clue either.. :E Big Grin:

Beat me to it..thanks for asking, as I hadn't a clue either.. :E Big Grin:
Huh, I would have assumed you have similar Braai guns there that everyone wears? Guess not. LOL

Why all the Kimber hate? TheLovelyMrs and I each have a 1st gen Kimber Compact, I have NEVER had an issue with either.
But, to tell the whole truth, Our Dan Wesson Pointmans ar nicer pistols than the Kimbers.
My only experience with a Kimber is shooting a friend's 1911 which shoots OK when it doesn't jamb. It isn't as accurate as the couple of Colt 1911s and vitacge WW2 Remington that we shoot which also are much more reliable (don't jamb)

I guess I'm a acception. I have 3 kimbers currently and may have owned 6 or 7 more between 2014-2020 and never had a problem with any of them I've heard quite a bit online about people's problems with them but that just hasn't been my experience.

@freefall I have seen a lot of girls packing at quinceaneras. I am not going to hijack this thread......I hope @donkeykong sells his BBQ gun...........FWB

DMV, I'm with you, both Kimbers I have/had are very reliable and accurate (they aren't 25+ years old but they did both come out of the NY operation. Overpriced? Probably, but that's in the eyes of the shooter I guess.
1911s are either your thing or they're not I suppose ... I never picked up a Glock and said "this fits my hands" but so many people love them, and just won't hesitate to tell you all about it, ad nauseam.

For those who were unaware, I think that the CMP is likely to open up round 5 of 1911 purchases soon, and they upped the lifetime limit to 2; 1 per year, It's pretty exciting to roll the dice and get a honest to goodness piece of history, https://thecmp.org
YMMV.

Man those were the days. Eating BBQ, Drinking, dancing with a handgun or two on your hip. Sign me up

I’ve only heard of the term “BBQ Gun” in the SAA world - never with 1911’s, but I like it!!

What makes the Dan Wesson “nicer”? My Kimber gold Match II (purchased 1998) has functioned flawlessly, very accurate….although the trigger has “creep” and it was over priced at $1300 in 1998

What makes the Dan Wesson “nicer”? My Kimber gold Match II (purchased 1998) has functioned flawlessly, very accurate….although the trigger has “creep” and it was over priced at $1300 in 1998
Fit and finish seem better, barrel has a bushing, don't need a paper clip to take it down. (tho you DO need a bushing wrench :( )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safarigear

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.