Dan wesson 1911 engraved bbq gun

dankykang

AH senior member
Reaction score
Bought it as a bbq gun but have yet to bbq with it! It has made it to the range a couple of times though and it is a very accurate and tight weapon. Overall in very good condition
The only 2 imperfections I can find are - on the barrel bushing and palm safety where it slides against the frame. I've tried to highlight them in pictures but can take more specific pictures on request.

Original msrp was $3000, asking $2575 shipped/insured overnight from my ffl(Darnall gun works Bloomington Il) to yours.
(no trades at this time, but open to reasonable offers)

Here is the orginal advertising material - https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/dan-wesson-turns-50/

1704325407719.jpeg

1704325320259.jpeg

1704325421938.jpeg

1704325433343.jpeg

1704325448713.jpeg
1704325872976.jpeg

Attachments

• Dan Wesson Turns 50 - American Handgunner.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 36
Love it! Beautiful pistol.

Bought it as a bbq gun but have yet to bbq with it! It has made it to the range a couple of times though and it is a very accurate and tight weapon. Overall in very good condition
The only 2 imperfections I can find are - on the barrel bushing and palm safety where it slides against the frame. I've tried to highlight them in pictures but can take more specific pictures on request.

Original msrp was $3000, asking $2575 shipped/insured overnight from my ffl(Darnall gun works Bloomington Il) to yours.

Here is the orginal advertising material - https://americanhandgunner.com/handguns/dan-wesson-turns-50/

View attachment 578201

View attachment 578200
View attachment 578202
View attachment 578203
View attachment 578204View attachment 578205
Looks very nice and assume the price is based heavily on the finish & trim items on this 1911? I’m somewhat familiar with Dan Wesson revolvers and especially the ones from the 1980s with inter-changeable-barrels. My friend purchased a Dan Wesson .45 ACP 20 years ago but only because it was less expensive then Kimber or Colt. What is the quality reputation of a Dan Wesson .45 1911 vs some more popular brands? I am assuming the function with similar reliability and accuracy? Thank You

Looks very nice and assume the price is based heavily on the finish & trim items on this 1911? I’m somewhat familiar with Dan Wesson revolvers and especially the ones from the 1980s with inter-changeable-barrels. My friend purchased a Dan Wesson .45 ACP 20 years ago but only because it was less expensive then Kimber or Colt. What is the quality reputation of a Dan Wesson .45 1911 vs some more popular brands? I am assuming the function with similar reliability and accuracy? Thank You

I would buy a Dan Wesson before a Kimber.

I would buy a Dan Wesson before a Kimber.
Dan Wesson is by far the best "off the shelf" 1911 available from a major manufacturer. The next step up is a high one to a Les Baer or similar pistol.

I will not bet my life on a Kimber 1911. Or to paraphrase the late Skeeter Skelton, "I'll carry my Dan Wesson, you can take your chances."

View attachment 578201

View attachment 578200
View attachment 578202
View attachment 578203
View attachment 578204View attachment 578205
Ok. I’ll show my ignorance. What is a
“BBQ gun”? Being from Texas, the home of the best BBQ on the planet, I feel it’s something I should know. (Now don’t go showing your ignorance trying to argue my best BBQ comment. )

“BBQ gun”? Being from Texas, the home of the best BBQ on the planet, I feel it’s something I should know. (Now don’t go showing your ignorance trying to argue my best BBQ comment. )
The sorta shiny gun you take to the BBQs to show off to your friends. Typically rarely fired, BBQ guns generally hibernate inside a safe until BBQ season, upon which they emerge in gussied-up holsters and belts to be displayed while consuming mass amounts of Southern-style pig and cow. They're usually engraved, super-high-lustre-blued or shiny-plated, have nonstandard grip materials, and most of the ones I've seen are classic designs like retro revolvers, Colt SAA-types, and 1911s.

Basically they're safe queens that actually get trotted out around town, if only on Memorial and Independence Day.

I think it was a term invented by gunwriters to justify buying safe queens.
Nobody up here wears a visible gun to a BBQ.

Dan Wesson is by far the best "off the shelf" 1911 available from a major manufacturer. The next step up is a high one to a Les Baer or similar pistol.

I will not bet my life on a Kimber 1911. Or to paraphrase the late Skeeter Skelton, "I'll carry my Dan Wesson, you can take your chances."
Interesting, I’m guessing the quality of the Kimber’s have deteriorated over the last 20 years or Dan Wesson 1911’s improved? Kimber was more highly regarded around 2000 and priced much higher - Neither was in same class as Les Baer nor in same price range. I know one thing - my Kimber Gold Match II certainly did NOT appreciate in value and most All of my other handguns all sell for more now “used” then they cost New.

Interesting, I’m guessing the quality of the Kimber’s have deteriorated over the last 20 years or Dan Wesson 1911’s improved? Kimber was more highly regarded around 2000 and priced much higher - Neither was in same class as Les Baer nor in same price range. I know one thing - my Kimber Gold Match II certainly did NOT appreciate in value and most All of my other handguns all sell for more now “used” then they cost New.
It seems to be quality control issues with Kimber. They were the cat's meow 25 years ago. Ten years later there were issues with some Kimber 1911's. Others functioned as designed. It didn't take much to ruin years of good reputation.

For Kimber rifles, "Kimber of Oregon" were very of high quality. Moving to New York may have been their downfall. I don't know for sure. Maybe other members do?

One aw-shit cancels ten atta-boys!

The sorta shiny gun you take to the BBQs to show off to your friends. Typically rarely fired, BBQ guns generally hibernate inside a safe until BBQ season, upon which they emerge in gussied-up holsters and belts to be displayed while consuming mass amounts of Southern-style pig and cow. They're usually engraved, super-high-lustre-blued or shiny-plated, have nonstandard grip materials, and most of the ones I've seen are classic designs like retro revolvers, Colt SAA-types, and 1911s.

Basically they're safe queens that actually get trotted out around town, if only on Memorial and Independence Day.
I live in gun paradise. Never heard the term BBQ gun.…. I love it and god bless America! I’m going to be digging in my safe or spend money this summer just to pass on “bbq gun” tradition to everyone I know.

414466884_681879027470106_5261845370793650667_n.jpg

Nah, man. This is a bbq gun.

I have never heard of a BBQ gun, but it seems to be a very solid concept! Now I think I need one. That seems to be as good of of a reason as any to buy a super fancy pistol!

I read the description and saw the asking price and then saw a bottle opener(?) hanging out of the barrel in the second photo. I thought wow, that's an expensive novelty item. I need to get out more. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlenaDorri

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.