Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC and SCI
Hunted
U.S., Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Bull Elephant hunt with Dalton and York Safaris July 1-10, 2024.

Hunt: 10 day hunt in the Omay for Bull Elephant. My recommendations are to book this as a 12 day hunt and be in the best physical and mental shape you can be in. This was my first elephant hunt and I thought I was in great shape (for being 55)but the Omay and Dalton/his crew will push you and you don’t want to be the weak link or fail for Lack of Motivation.
Company: Dalton & York Safaris. Outstanding company and can’t go wrong with booking with them. Truly enjoyed the camp/camp staff and their other PHs that were in camp.
PH: PH Dalton Tink. Dalton has two speeds 1.stop (which is much faster than my go - he always seems to be in motion) and 2. Hunting speed (which is much faster than me running). Dalton wants you to succeed in your quest and that drove me to keep pushing. On Day 8 we did over 30 kilometers in 98 degrees and I told Dalton on way back to camp I’m not sure I could do another day like that (imagine dry river beds with thick sand and then rocks big enough you have to jump from one to another)he told me to stay with him and that I could do it. He made me to not want to let him and the rest of the team down. We put in over 130 Kilometers in 9 days.
Primary animal: Bull elephant to complete my Big 5. Also, took a great waterbuck and awesome Chobe Bushbuck
Rifle/Ammo: 375 H&H with a model 70 action. Rifle was built by Mark Bansner. Schmidt and Bender 1.5 X 6 illuminated scope. Solids: North Fork 300 grain cup nose; Softs: Norma Oryx 300 grain. Rifle and Ammo all worked as expected.
Airlines: Delta from KC to JNB in Premium select and return. SA Airlink from JNB to Harare and return. Charter flight from Harare to Omay North Camp and return. I personally think that was the best route for me. I thought the seats with Delta were comfortable and the food was good. I used Jennifer at Travel Express to book my flights and she did an awesome job. Never any issues with the flights or with my rifle.

Again I want to thank Dalton and his staff (to include Scott - the Appy/Camp manger), My roommate - Davin, Todd and Philip and Jasper Glass. I t was great to have y'all in camp and to share this experience.

I have attached some photos of Mr T and his rear print that gave him his name. Also, the first day waterbuck and an outstanding Chobe bushbuck.
IMG_3831.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg

image000000.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3815.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3781.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 57
Fantastic trophies! That bushbuck is no slouch! Did you end up weighing the tusks?
They bury the head to get the tusk out. So hopefully in the next couple of days I’ll get the weights and length.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Awesome and congratulations. Well earned - Thank you for sharing!

Any recovered cup points?

I’m assuming body shots?

Awesome and congratulations. Well earned - Thank you for sharing!

Any recovered cup points?

I’m assuming body shots?
I one of the cup points was recovered. I’ll have to get a photo and uploaded it.

Congrats on a great safari. Those are some impressive trophies. I’ll be hunting with Dalton&York in 2027, these hunt reports are super exciting to read knowing I’ll be hunting there in a few years.

Wow, what a bull, and the Bushbuck and Waterbuck are just outstanding. Congratulations for a successful safari and you completing your Big-5. Well done! :A Clapping::A Clapping:

Congratulations! Very nice animals taken. Body or brain shot with the 375 H&H? Where was the bullet recovered?

Congratulations.

Dan WORKED for that bull, I'd be willing to bet he walked more during those 9 days than every other hunter in camp combined!

Hope I'm assisting and not intruding - but here is a pic of the recovered cup point I took during the meat recovery from Mr. T.
View attachment 620076
Thank you

Congratulations! Very nice animals taken. Body or brain shot with the 375 H&H? Where was the bullet recovered?
That was recovered out of the far side shoulder if I remember correctly. My first shot was in the head. I think I missed the brain initially.

Congrats on a great safari. Those are some impressive trophies. I’ll be hunting with Dalton&York in 2027, these hunt reports are super exciting to read knowing I’ll be hunting there in a few years.
You will have an awesome trip. I’m trying to figure when I can go back. Hippo and Croc are very plentiful and on my list.

Congrats! I Talked to Dalton about doing a tuskless/buff combo in the omay within the next couple of years. Glad you had great success, pushes me towards getting it done. love the bushbuck as well such stunning specimens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KindraMcki

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.