Dalton and York Buffalo

I’ll add that hunting in the omay for buff could be challenging, just like many other places in Zim. It won’t be like on YouTube where you see a perfect broadside shot on a buff that you can easily measure with your eyes. It is very likely it will be in thick Jess with very little visibly and you’re only looking at a corner of a horn or a bit of boss. Trust your ph’s judgement of what he’s putting you on and enjoy the hunt.

I’ll add that hunting in the omay for buff could be challenging, just like many other places in Zim. It won’t be like on YouTube where you see a perfect broadside shot on a buff that you can easily measure with your eyes. It is very likely it will be in thick Jess with very little visibly and you’re only looking at a corner of a horn or a bit of boss. Trust your ph’s judgement of what he’s putting you on and enjoy the hunt.
i could only see the head of my buff there which is why i shot him through his left eye dropping him instantly. the rest of his body was hidden

I have to say, there were some pretty big buffalo in the skinning shed that were left before I got there. Much larger then mine , that’s for sure

Im sorry, ill be going in the spring of the northern hemisphere. First part of May in the states.

My one and only buffalo hunt was late May, in the BVC in southern Zim. I wanted to get a buff on my birthday, but it didn't happen. Lots of leaves still on the trees made it very difficult. We saw lots of buffalo and were on them every day of a 10 day hunt. Just didn't get a good shot opportunity. The hunter who hunted before me got his buffalo, so it can be done in May. When I book another buffalo hunt, it will be for August or September.

My one and only buffalo hunt was late May, in the BVC in southern Zim. I wanted to get a buff on my birthday, but it didn't happen. Lots of leaves still on the trees made it very difficult. We saw lots of buffalo and were on them every day of a 10 day hunt. Just didn't get a good shot opportunity. The hunter who hunted before me got his buffalo, so it can be done in May. When I book another buffalo hunt, it will be for August or September.
It was hot when I went it September, but I don’t think I would want to hunt when it’s green. It’s hard enough to see them when all the leaves are gone

I have Hunted the Omay with Dalton. He is a Very Good Guide. If you are Hunting with a Tape Measure you are Hunting for all the wrong reasons. Enjoy the Adventure for what it is.

Reactions: CJW
IMG-20210708-WA0011.jpg

A giant taken by a friend in 2021. The are big buff in the Omay, but go for the hunt, not the inches.

Hello, long time lurker, but first time poster. Headed to hunt with Dalton and York this spring for the first time for buffalo. For the guys that have hunted there is there a legit chance at a 40" buffalo? Guys are telling me to set my mark high since it will probgably be my only buffalo. This will be my second trip to africa , thanks
I am assuming you are hunting the Omay.
Mine have been over 40”. I would say a very good chance at 40+. D&Y are doing a fabulous job with anti poaching and game management. I’ll be back there in July!

Correct!

I have Hunted the Omay with Dalton. He is a Very Good Guide. If you are Hunting with a Tape Measure you are Hunting for all the wrong reasons. Enjoy the Adventure for what it is.
Guys I dont think the OP is planning to hunt with a tape measure! He is simply asking what could reasonably be expected.
Sure we all agree with the advice to enjoy the hunt and take it as it comes.

Guys I dont think the OP is planning to hunt with a tape measure! He is simply asking what could reasonably be expected.
Sure we all agree with the advice to enjoy the hunt and take it as it comes.
Yeah I agree, I didn't mean to send this down the rabbit hole with my advice.

I agree Phillip. Most want the classic looking bull for their first kill. Drop, width and heavy bosses.
Most probably don’t want a scrum cap for their first bull. So asking about age structure and size in an area is a reasonable request.

View attachment 579968
A giant taken by a friend in 2021. The are big buff in the Omay, but go for the hunt, not the inches.
Garett Brown was the PH standing in the middle. It scored 46 inches. He was my Ph this August when i got mine and he told me about it

@thnsno forget the size as all have said, but since you will be adjacent to Lake Kariba here is a challenge for you - get your African Macnab. It is a buffalo bull, a brace of frncolin and a tiger fish within 24 hrs. If you get it I undertake to get a certificate to you.

Hello, long time lurker, but first time poster. Headed to hunt with Dalton and York this spring for the first time for buffalo. For the guys that have hunted there is there a legit chance at a 40" buffalo? Guys are telling me to set my mark high since it will probgably be my only buffalo. This will be my second trip to africa , thanks
Yes indeed. Hunted with them 2022! All you need to do spend p,entry of time at the range! Good luck! PM if you have questions

@thnsno forget the size as all have said, but since you will be adjacent to Lake Kariba here is a challenge for you - get your African Macnab. It is a buffalo bull, a brace of frncolin and a tiger fish within 24 hrs. If you get it I undertake to get a certificate to you.
I'm heading to the Omay in 2026. I may have to make an attempt at the Macnab. I got all of it but the Frankolin last year. Ha ha. Killed my buff then caught a Tiger the next morning. I have already spoken with York about shooting some birds on this next trip. Those Frankolin look delicious. They were absolutely everywhere in Nyakasanga!
20230618_172019_HDR.jpg

I'm heading to the Omay in 2026. I may have to make an attempt at the Macnab. I got all of it but the Frankolin last year. Ha ha. Killed my buff then caught a Tiger the next morning. I have already spoken with York about shooting some birds on this next trip. Those Frankolin look delicious. They were absolutely everywhere in Nyakasanga!View attachment 581974
I shot a bunch of guinea and geese with a 22 mag over there. But even the trackers said the guineas were almost too tough to eat. Lol!

Look for that 40", but when you see an old warrior your heart will call for it. I never asked for the measurement on mine from the Save. As soon as we locked on this group of old bulls I knew I wanted them regardless. They pull the lower jaw to age and he came back 11+ yrs old. Couldn't have asked for a better hunt than to chase some old dugga boys.

20230816_071203.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vsdbdfbffs

Latest profile posts

Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles
Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer