Dalton and York Buffalo

thnsno

Reaction score
Hello, long time lurker, but first time poster. Headed to hunt with Dalton and York this spring for the first time for buffalo. For the guys that have hunted there is there a legit chance at a 40" buffalo? Guys are telling me to set my mark high since it will probgably be my only buffalo. This will be my second trip to africa , thanks

I haven't hunted with them personally but I have hunted Zimbabwe a couple of times. Focus on an old buffalo and a good hunt Don't tie yourself to width too much and enjoy the experience. You won't be disappointed with a hard boss 38 but you will probably be later with a soft boss young 40.

I haven't hunted with them personally but I have hunted Zimbabwe a couple of times. Focus on an old buffalo and a good hunt Don't tie yourself to width too much and enjoy the experience. You won't be disappointed with a hard boss 38 but you will probably be later with a soft boss young 40.

Good advice.

They shoot quite a few over 40 each year. Here was my 2021 Omay North bull 42"

1704748145501.png

1704748096840.png

I have not hunted the Omay, but the conditions in any wild area will change from week to week. There are no guarantees what animals are or are not in an area and what caused the change. Tell your PH you’d like to focus on buffalo and you’d like the biggest buffalo he feels comfortable holding out for. Setting a 40” requirement puts unnecessary pressure on yourself and the PH and takes the focus off the hunt and sets yourself up for disappointment when it measures 39” or you passed the bull that was actually 40” in thick brush because your PH couldn’t clearly identify it as 40+. Hunting concession areas is primarily about the experience. There are other hunts to choose if the trophy size is the priority.

Hello, long time lurker, but first time poster. Headed to hunt with Dalton and York this spring for the first time for buffalo. For the guys that have hunted there is there a legit chance at a 40" buffalo? Guys are telling me to set my mark high since it will probgably be my only buffalo. This will be my second trip to africa , thanks
i hunted with them in August with three friends on AH. one of the hunters before us took a 40 incher. I both saw and held the skull. I took a 37 inch with a little over 17 inch boss. two of my friends took 37-38 inch bulls with similar boss

forget the numbers and enjoy the Omay. I’ve hunted there and it’s a fabulous place. You’ll work hard for your buff and take yourPH’s advice and you’ll have a great hunt. Ps make sure you’re in shape and your shooting is safari ready. Good luck

The best advice I can give you is to leave your tape measure at home. Focus on the quality or the hunt rather than the measurement of the trophy.

For me a trophy buffalo is an old Dugga boy with worn down horns.

Also, you may be a one and done kind of guy, but most everyone ends up finding a way to go back again and again.

If you've never hunted buffalo, you're going to be so impressed when you walk up to a big mature bull, you won't be worried if it's 38 or 40 inches. Just focus on taking a mature bull and enjoy your hunt.
I've hunted with D&Y twice, and have shot two old mature bulls with them. If you can walk, you should have no issue getting on a good bull. Who will be your PH?

@thnsno you say you are going over this spring: spring in the northern or southern hemisphere? Makes a big difference which month you are hunting and how many leaves are still on the trees.

I haven't hunted with then yet (they are on our short list for 2026) Don't worry about is it over or under 40. Take in the experience and enjoy every step you take following buff, watching the tracker work their magic to sights, smells, and sounds. Concentrate on a old bull and throw the tape measure in the fire the first night in camp.

I haven't hunted with then yet (they are on our short list for 2026) Don't worry about is it over or under 40. Take in the experience and enjoy every step you take following buff, watching the tracker work their magic to sights, smells, and sounds. Concentrate on a old bull and throw the tape measure in the fire the first night in camp.
The hunt was before sun up to well after sun down about 15-20 miles per day for a 10 day hunt. we got my bull on the 7th day well earned!!!

I hunted with them in September and shot this buff on the first day. It was the first shot opportunity I had and I certainly wasn't going to run over and measure him first to decide if I was going to shoot or not. Go on a buffalo hunt and if they say its a good old bull, then it will be a good bull to take. Don't worry about size. This one measured 37 inches, but was aged over 12 years old. For me, the age is far better then size, but I understand thats not for everyone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

0.jpg

Shooting as old of an animal as possible is what we all should be worried about. I'll choose the beat up and narrow 35" or scrum cap, bald faced old warrior's over a black faced 42" herd bull any day.

@revturbo9967 that is a fantastic bull.
Thank you sir

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicholBald

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available