Dakota Traveler Safari 7mm Dakota/404 Dakota Value

Goat416

Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Mexico, USA
I've been following and reading the African Hunting Forum for years, but just joined because I need help determining the value of a rifle. I know from reading over the years I might get some pushback since this is my first post, but here goes anyway.

I have a Dakota Arms Traveler Safari model with two barrels that I am considering selling to fund the purchase of a double rifle. It's a long story, but to make it short, a friend of mine has finally agreed to sell me one of his double rifles. Coincidentally, it's the same Merkel double rifle I used to take my first cape buffalo over ten years ago.

The Dakota Arms rifle is beautiful and includes everything it came with plus optics, a travel case, and ammunition. It has never been hunted and has had approximately one box of each caliber run through it when the optics were originally sighted in. I understand that the calibers might affect the value, but I have around 10 boxes of loaded ammunition for each caliber that will be included in the sale. The rifle is in near-new condition but does have some blemishes from years of being stored in a safe.

I'm having a tough time determining a fair price for this rifle. I'd be thrilled to sell it to someone who will appreciate and use it. I am not opposed to selling it on this forum, but I understand the hesitancy of dealing with a new member. Here are a few pictures I took yesterday; I have more if it would be helpful. Below are the basic specifications of this rifle; most other features can be seen in the pictures.

• OAL: 42 ¼ inches
  • LOP: 13 ¼ inches
  • Weight: Approximately 9 pounds without optics and 10 pounds with the larger scope
  • Weight with case, guns, and tools: 32 ½ pounds
  • Barrel 1: 7mm Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold LPS 2.5-10X45mm with Fine Duplex Reticle
  • Barrel 2: 404 Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold VX-iii 1.5-5X20mm with Duplex Reticle
  • Both barrels have banded hooded front sights with rear island sights
Thanks in advance for the help and opinions. If there’s additional information that would be helpful, please let me know, and I will post what I know.
Dakota Traveler-2059.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2132.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2064.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2071.jpg
Dakota Traveler-2079.jpg

Call Parkwest and they can research based on serial number. Then they can quote what it would cost to build today. Go from there in my opinion is best way to get accurate value.

A lot of fiddleback figure in that stock. If you decide to sell it on this forum, it won't last long. Good luck with the sale.

A stunner for sure. Problem, as you know, are the calibers. Both are not being made and ammo is hard to find and expensive. I have had similar calibers and take a 30 to 50% hit on price due to the caliber.
Very nice guns however.

A stunner for sure. Problem, as you know, are the calibers. Both are not being made and ammo is hard to find and expensive. I have had similar calibers and take a 30 to 50% hit on price due to the caliber.
Very nice guns however.
This is spot on with those calibers. Great looking wood! Follow some auctions on gunbroker and listings on guns international for a couple weeks. You will see some crazy outliers. Especially on the high end. Last time I looked on guns international somebody was seeking somewhere near $30k for a twin barrel traveler. In common/popular calibers I have seen them go between 8-12k over the last year.

I have bought two Travelers in 2 bbl sets overs along with 2 from HS Precision. I love 2 barrel sets. I also shoot Blaser R8's in about 8 calibers.
In my experience, caliber is the second most important factor. First is price. Third is the wood/set up.
If I like the calibers, I can convince myself the price is fine but the wood is the deciding factor. I like you set up. I like 7mm and 404 calibers. I like your wood. I struggle on the Dakota version of the calilber.
This will sell, but as the other poster suggested, it will be less than replacement.
Still, keep it and enjoy it if you have the ammo!!!!

I've been following and reading the African Hunting Forum for years, but just joined because I need help determining the value of a rifle. I know from reading over the years I might get some pushback since this is my first post, but here goes anyway.

I have a Dakota Arms Traveler Safari model with two barrels that I am considering selling to fund the purchase of a double rifle. It's a long story, but to make it short, a friend of mine has finally agreed to sell me one of his double rifles. Coincidentally, it's the same Merkel double rifle I used to take my first cape buffalo over ten years ago.

The Dakota Arms rifle is beautiful and includes everything it came with plus optics, a travel case, and ammunition. It has never been hunted and has had approximately one box of each caliber run through it when the optics were originally sighted in. I understand that the calibers might affect the value, but I have around 10 boxes of loaded ammunition for each caliber that will be included in the sale. The rifle is in near-new condition but does have some blemishes from years of being stored in a safe.

I'm having a tough time determining a fair price for this rifle. I'd be thrilled to sell it to someone who will appreciate and use it. I am not opposed to selling it on this forum, but I understand the hesitancy of dealing with a new member. Here are a few pictures I took yesterday; I have more if it would be helpful. Below are the basic specifications of this rifle; most other features can be seen in the pictures.

• OAL: 42 ¼ inches
  • LOP: 13 ¼ inches
  • Weight: Approximately 9 pounds without optics and 10 pounds with the larger scope
  • Weight with case, guns, and tools: 32 ½ pounds
  • Barrel 1: 7mm Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold LPS 2.5-10X45mm with Fine Duplex Reticle
  • Barrel 2: 404 Dakota – 23 inches / Leupold VX-iii 1.5-5X20mm with Duplex Reticle
  • Both barrels have banded hooded front sights with rear island sights
Thanks in advance for the help and opinions. If there’s additional information that would be helpful, please let me know, and I will post what I know.View attachment 615658View attachment 615663View attachment 615659View attachment 615661View attachment 615662
You’re right…you are new and we know nothing about you. I have been burned before so tell us about yourself please

Very nice guns however.
Thanks for the responses and useful suggestions. I understand that the gun is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and I am OK with taking what is fair to both parties. I have followed several auctions, listings, and even called several resellers. The swing in the prices is wild, but I've been around long enough to know that the outliers will never sell. Like @RR 314 stated, $8-12K seems to be the price for more common calibers in similar condition. My struggle is that this is still a big range, and I am looking for thoughts to narrow it down to a fair price.

Knowing the Dakota calibers will hurt the value, I am hopeful that the 220 rounds of 404 Dakota and 185 rounds of 7mm Dakota will be some sort of compensating factor. As a hunter and a guy that appreciates this gun, I think selling the ammunition together with the rifle to someone who will use it for its intended purpose makes the most sense. I know I could potentially sell the rifle and ammunition separately for more money, but that doesn’t seem right. I see reloading die sets for the 7mm Dakota online somewhat regularly, but I struggle to find the 404 Dakota reloading dies. I have read about the custom die makers but have yet to go down that rabbit hole. Finding the ammunition at this time is not difficult, it can usually be found in stock at Hendershot’s, the 404 Dakota around $10/round and 7mm Dakota around $7.50/round. As of this post both were in stock with multiple bullet options. That said we all know where the future of these calibers is going and having the brass and the ability to get it reloaded will be important.

You’re right…you are new and we know nothing about you. I have been burned before so tell us about yourself please
A little more about me, I am a lifelong hunter. I grew up in northern New Hampshire chasing bears and bobcats with hounds and hunting whitetails in the cornfields. After school, I moved to Utah to pursue my career and to find open space and bigger mountains in the West. I continued chasing my hounds through the woods for bears and bobcats but added mountain lions to the list. Over the years I have hunted deer, elk, American buffalo, and other big game found in the West. I traveled to New Zealand for red stag, Mexico for Coues and mule deer, and of course Africa for both dangerous and plains game. Like most, life happens, and in the last few years I have had small children, which has scaled back my days on the mountain. They’re finally getting old enough now that it’s their turn to pick up the gun and begin to experience the highs and lows of hunting. When they get a little older, we will be back to Africa for memorable hunts. My other interests include photography, both wildlife and the kids, working my mules, and time with family.

I purchased this Dakota rifle from a friend after my first trip to hunt in South Africa, where I was lucky enough to hunt buffalo in Timbavati. I brought my 300 RUM for plains game and used a good friend’s double rifle, a Merkel in 470 NE, to take my first cape buffalo. That was ten years ago; since then, I have been back to Africa a couple of times to hunt, once again in South Africa, and a second time to Namibia. Both times, instead of bringing the Dakota, I brought the Merkel; there is just something about hunting in Africa with a double rifle. As I stated in the original post, that’s the reason for putting the Dakota up for sale. My good friend finally realized that gun was always meant for me. While he has shot the Merkel, he has never taken any game with that rifle. He has a Krieghoff double in 470 NE that he always hunts with when we go to Africa. Because of that, he is willing to sell me the Merkel for a price I can’t pass up.

Below are a couple of pictures from my first buffalo taken with the Merkel. It was taken with Professional Hunter Eugene Alberts on the Timbavati Game Reserve in South Africa, Eugene is now the owner of High Five Safaris in Limpopo, RSA. I would highly recommend Eugene for any African hunting experience.

Goat416
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0852.JPG

Thanks for the responses and useful suggestions. I understand that the gun is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and I am OK with taking what is fair to both parties. I have followed several auctions, listings, and even called several resellers. The swing in the prices is wild, but I've been around long enough to know that the outliers will never sell. Like @RR 314 stated, $8-12K seems to be the price for more common calibers in similar condition. My struggle is that this is still a big range, and I am looking for thoughts to narrow it down to a fair price.

Knowing the Dakota calibers will hurt the value, I am hopeful that the 220 rounds of 404 Dakota and 185 rounds of 7mm Dakota will be some sort of compensating factor. As a hunter and a guy that appreciates this gun, I think selling the ammunition together with the rifle to someone who will use it for its intended purpose makes the most sense. I know I could potentially sell the rifle and ammunition separately for more money, but that doesn’t seem right. I see reloading die sets for the 7mm Dakota online somewhat regularly, but I struggle to find the 404 Dakota reloading dies. I have read about the custom die makers but have yet to go down that rabbit hole. Finding the ammunition at this time is not difficult, it can usually be found in stock at Hendershot’s, the 404 Dakota around $10/round and 7mm Dakota around $7.50/round. As of this post both were in stock with multiple bullet options. That said we all know where the future of these calibers is going and having the brass and the ability to get it reloaded will be important.
I think you’re approaching this with the right mindset. Selling the ammo separately would be a huge mistake IMO as well. Probably cut the price in half. That’s a lot of ammo.

I see what you mean about Hendershot’s. Any potential buyer might want to call them and see how much brass they actually have.

All that said I think I’d start at $8k for the package.

I think you’re approaching this with the right mindset. Selling the ammo separately would be a huge mistake IMO as well. Probably cut the price in half. That’s a lot of ammo.

I see what you mean about Hendershot’s. Any potential buyer might want to call them and see how much brass they actually have.

All that said I think I’d start at $8k for the package.
:S Agree: Keep the ammo and rifle together and sell as a package deal. It would be even better if you had dies for those that reload.

As for the price, I've seen these go for $15K+ but the rifle calibers were much more common than what you have. I would not be a good judge of the actual value. Contacting Park West...that can go a couple of ways. Their replacement cost for the rifle would likely be close to double the original cost, if not more. Check Guns International and auction houses for recent sales to get an idea.

Welcome to AH and GLWTS.

I have a Traveler in 416 Rigby and 338 Lapua Mag I purchased last year. It is, I believe, the African version with quarter ribs on both barrels, Talley mounts, and a 1x5 VX illuminated Leupold. Very nice wood, although I think yours is nicer. No ammo, but a nice hard case. It is in great shape, but has seen Africa with the previous owner and taken buffalo. I paid $8K for it and feel I got a good value for my money. I think yours is nicer to the eye, probably fewer battle scars and obviously the ammo is of great value. I would probably start around $10K and be willing to deal. Just an uneducated opinion.
GLWS.
Jody

I agree with all that has been said previously. They are beautiful rifles as well. I will be watching this closely and am interested when you have a price in mind.

:S Agree: Keep the ammo and rifle together and sell as a package deal. It would be even better if you had dies for those that reload.

As for the price, I've seen these go for $15K+ but the rifle calibers were much more common than what you have. I would not be a good judge of the actual value. Contacting Park West...that can go a couple of ways. Their replacement cost for the rifle would likely be close to double the original cost, if not more. Check Guns International and auction houses for recent sales to get an idea.

Welcome to AH and GLWTS.
Agreed. Contacting Parkwest Arms may establish what a similar rifle built to a customer's specifications would cost, but has very little to do with establishing actual value. Few would build one today in these chamberings, LOP is a tad short for most, etc. Beautiful wood and the ammo do mitigate some of the shortcomings. To maximize profits, you may consider listing a couple boxes of ammo and see what it sells for; but certainly retain the bulk for any potential buyer of the rifle. Good luck.

I have a Traveler in 416 Rigby and 338 Lapua Mag I purchased last year. It is, I believe, the African version with quarter ribs on both barrels, Talley mounts, and a 1x5 VX illuminated Leupold. Very nice wood, although I think yours is nicer. No ammo, but a nice hard case. It is in great shape, but has seen Africa with the previous owner and taken buffalo. I paid $8K for it and feel I got a good value for my money. I think yours is nicer to the eye, probably fewer battle scars and obviously the ammo is of great value. I would probably start around $10K and be willing to deal. Just an uneducated opinion.
GLWS.
Jody
Man, I have been looking for over a year for that combo. Bass Pro is still on my boycott list. :).

What a beautiful (and useable!) set!

You'll probably get between 8-10k, maybe a little more. Proprietary chamberings are not helping resale, and it has a really short LOP that's probably going to need spacers and a 1.25 NECG pad. Call and ask for Ward at Park West, he can look up the original build sheet and probably send you a copy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FredaShank

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.