Dakota Model 10 330 Dakota

camlo

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am relatively new member to this page but I have been lurking for a while. I have had the desire to hunt Africa since I was 13 years old and read African Rifles and Cartridges by Taylor for the first time.

I have my first Safari booked for April 2024 and the only thing in my sights is a buff and bird hunting. I purchased this model 10 last year second hand with the intent to have it re-barreled to another caliber for whitetail hunting but the company who took over Dakota informed me they weren’t interested. I’m looking to unload it to help fund my Safari. I’m located in the DFW area and am willing to meet anywhere within a reasonable distance. I’m asking 5,000 but open to offers. I have approximately 30rds of loaded ammo and probably 20rds +- once fired brass.

IMG_2631.jpeg
IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2628.jpeg
IMG_2627.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat gun. I love the French grey finish. This gun will cover everything that doesn't require minimum 375 caliber. That 330 Dakota is spicy.

Welcome to AH Jessica, I hope you make it to Africa soon.

It looks like a lovely rifle.

There is a cult-like following for dakotas, particularly Model 10 single shots. While all were custom made, the one pictured is what would be considered as a base model. Prices can range from $2500 to $30,000, yours being far closer to the first number.

The biggest challenge you will have is that it is in a proprietary Dakota caliber. That deeply injures demand and the potential sale price. Pre-Covid when Dakota was still operating, they would rebarrel your rifle for about $1800, inclusive of the barrel band swivel and rebluing. I do not know if Parkwest would take on such work at any price, that would have to be discussed with Ward the shop supervisor.

If I owned the gun, I would rebarrel that rifle to 7x57 under the belief I could get $5500-$6500+ for it in that most desirable of calibers. I believe you will get less than that amount by greater than the $1800 investment in a new barrel selling it as a 330 Dakota, but it never hurts to try.

I'd take many nice pictures and post it in the classified section.

Postscript: There are Rifle barrel reboring and rechambering services that exist. That is where they simply rebore the barrel to a larger caliber and then rechamber it for a larger cartridge. That requires two things: 1.) A larger caliber/cartridge in all dimensions, 2.) Enough exterior barrel dimensions at the muzzle to allow for the removal of at least .030" of metal, minimum.

Unfortunately, beyond it being hard to find a reliable service that can do this over the course of 1-2 years, the gun is presently a 330 Dakota so the only caliber that I know would be possible to use would be a 404 Jeffery. Neither the barrel nor the action is capable of handling that cartridge. (they top out at 375HH)

So in conclusion, leaving it the way it is or rebarreling the gun are the only two options.

PPS:

I need to apologize. I had no business writing the posts above on this thread. I didn't realize this was in the classified section. It is very impolite for me to make comments about a gun for sale. I honestly thought it was in a general section asking about what to do before selling it, not that it was already for sale.

My posts were in poor form and I apologize.

It looks like a lovely rifle.

There is a cult-like following for dakotas, particularly Model 10 single shots. While all were custom made, the one pictured is what would be considered as a base model. Prices can range from $2500 to $30,000, yours being far closer to the first number.

The biggest challenge you will have is that it is in a proprietary Dakota caliber. That deeply injures demand and the potential sale price. Pre-Covid when Dakota was still operating, they would rebarrel your rifle for about $1800, inclusive of the barrel band swivel and rebluing. I do not know if Parkwest would take on such work at any price, that would have to be discussed with Ward the shop supervisor.

If I owned the gun, I would rebarrel that rifle to 7x57 under the belief I could get $5500-$6500+ for it in that most desirable of calibers. I believe you will get less than that amount by greater than the $1800 investment in a new barrel selling it as a 330 Dakota, but it never hurts to try.

I'd take many nice pictures and post it in the classified section.
I reached out the them about having a new barrel put on but was informed since it’s in a magnum configuration the caliber I wanted it made into was not possible.

I have a few No1’s and had always wanted a Dakota. I shot it a few times annd decided it wasn’t for me. I agree that the proprietary caliber hurts usefulness and resale but for the price I paid for it I couldnt pass it up. I will be taking my No1 in 416 Rem Mag on my Safari.

Hey there's nothing wrong with a 330 Dakota chambering if you are focused on using it instead of resale concerns. It's basically a modern 338/378...said another way, perhaps the ultimate elk size caliber. Find some more brass and run it. Shoot, I've thought of buying it since it's local. No need to downplay what it is and there's nothing wrong with a nice model 10. That's one of the finest single shots ever made.

I reached out the them about having a new barrel put on but was informed since it’s in a magnum configuration the caliber I wanted it made into was not possible.

I have a few No1’s and had always wanted a Dakota. I shot it a few times annd decided it wasn’t for me. I agree that the proprietary caliber hurts usefulness and resale but for the price I paid for it I couldnt pass it up. I will be taking my No1 in 416 Rem Mag on my Safari.

Interesting. If it indeed needs to be a bigger caliber, that gun would be very sought after as a 375 Holland Flanged. I’m not rejecting what it is now, I’m suggesting it’s a lovely example from the right era to be converted by Parkwest into something very, very desirable.

If you were local, I’d be plying you with bourbon and coming to an agreement on it for me to convert it. If I had access to Elk I’d just buy and keep it as-is for that duty.

You will sell the gun, you just need the right customer with the right need. If we were friends, I’d strongly persuade you to rebarrel and keep it, it will double in value in ten years IF it’s in a hot caliber: 300HH, 375 flanged, 257R, 6.5x55, 7x57.

Interesting. If it indeed needs to be a bigger caliber, that gun would be very sought after as a 375 Holland Flanged. I’m not rejecting what it is now, I’m suggesting it’s a lovely example from the right era to be converted by Parkwest into something very, very desirable.

If you were local, I’d be plying you with bourbon and coming to an agreement on it for me to convert it. If I had access to Elk I’d just buy and keep it as-is for that duty.

You will sell the gun, you just need the right customer with the right need. If we were friends, I’d strongly persuade you to rebarrel and keep it, it will double in value in ten years IF it’s in a hot caliber: 300HH, 375 flanged, 257R, 6.5x55, 7x57.

Could it be rebored/rechambered to .375 flanged?

Could it be rebored/rechambered to .375 flanged?

He’d have to call Parkwest and ask Ward in the shop. A 375 flanged or a 9.3x62 would be a mild recoiler and would be very desirable. Odds are the same hands would rebarrel as originally made it. I think that would preserve collectibility near completely.

I just looked at the catalog today. On top of a barrel swap out, add $895 for a quarter rib, express sight, and front ramp. That’s a deal. That would make this a ~$7000-$10,000 gun with a caliber swap.

Hey there's nothing wrong with a 330 Dakota chambering if you are focused on using it instead of resale concerns. It's basically a modern 338/378...said another way, perhaps the ultimate elk size caliber. Find some more brass and run it. Shoot, I've thought of buying it since it's local. No need to downplay what it is and there's nothing wrong with a nice model 10. That's one of the finest single shots ever made.
I deer hunt once or twice a year and don’t have the desire to elk hunt. I’m primarily a bird and small game hunter anymore with the exception of my upcoming Safari. I wanted to turn the Dakota into something between a 260 Rem and a 280 AI but such is life. The gentleman I purchased it from did take it on a Safari though so it has proven itself in its current configuration.

I deer hunt once or twice a year and don’t have the desire to elk hunt. I’m primarily a bird and small game hunter anymore with the exception of my upcoming Safari. I wanted to turn the Dakota into something between a 260 Rem and a 280 AI but such is life. The gentleman I purchased it from did take it on a Safari though so it has proven itself in its current configuration.

I have a Dakota 10 barrel in 260 remington right now. No idea if it will fit. You pay shipping, I’ll loan it to you. If it fits, pay me $200. If it doesn’t, ship it back. Has a barrel band. I converted the gun to 7x57 to maximize utility.

Looks like @Green Chile is the winner. Congratulations.

I picked up the rifle tonight and enjoyed meeting the seller. He is into competitive live pigeon matches and getting ready for his first safari next year. I wish him well and look forward to his hunt report later as well as more of his postings here on AH.

My conversations with Parkwest were already in motion before it was mentioned here and ironically, we had made plans for conversion to 375 flanged. I look forward to sharing an update on the forum later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowell8499

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg