CZ550 Safari Magnum? Check, Winchester Model 70 Safari Express? Check. What affordable dangerous game rifle should I consider next?

Dude, if you don’t have a proper .404 Jeffrey thats dressed up for the Big Dance on a classic mauser-claw action (BRNO, CZ), …. well, you’re just another deer camp Fuddley. :ROFLMAO: :LOL::p

View attachment 530183

;)

I only have it's big brother ...

ZfchaWX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I'm hoping to stick with CRF and fill in the gaps around my 375 and 458. I'm not much of a fan of straight pulls.

I am interested in a double, although I don't know if even the cheapest of doubles could be considered "affordable." I do have my eyes on one of the Heyms, Kiregoffs and Merkel's but that's likely a purchase for next year.
If costs for A double are a concern, I would look at Chapuis and Merkle

I’ve owned Westley Richards, Rizzini, Chapuis and Merkle. I have huge respect for Krieghoff and Heymn…just fairly high up in price

Dude, if you don’t have a proper .404 Jeffrey thats dressed up for the Big Dance on a classic mauser-claw action (BRNO, CZ), …. well, you’re just another deer camp Fuddley. :ROFLMAO: :LOL::p

View attachment 530183

;)
That's a good looking setup. How does the 404 to the 416? I've read they put up similar numbers with less recoil.

I'm guessing factory ammo may be harder to source.

That's a good looking setup. How does the 404 to the 416? I've read they put up similar numbers with less recoil.

I’m stocked on Hornady .404 ammo but I’m also more stocked on components - brass and bullets - and 99.9% of what I shoot are handloads.

IMG_1009.jpeg

Jeffery’s original velocity specs sent a 400grn bullet @ 2100-2125-ish fps from a 24” barrel. Not Rigby level at all. Kynoch loads Jeffery ammo to 2125fps but that’s as clocked from a 28” barrel. Mine’s 23” in length, so with that ammo the m.v. would be more like 1975fps, which is really mild for a .400-class cartridge. The .404 Jeff made its reputation on elephants and other mega-size game in Africa @ the original specs with bullets that were often “under-performers,” not close to the premium killers that factory ammo is loaded with now.

IMG_1024.jpeg

For no good reason I’m able to understand, when the .404J came back into vogue as a DG cartridge in the late ‘90s and early 2000s, and despite a wide range of premium bullet-designs, Hornady chose to load it 250fps faster than the original specs - well into Rigby territory. Completely unnecessary in my opinion.

IMG_1010.jpeg

For someone looking to move up from a .375 (H&H/Ruger), the .404J gives you a lot of game-killing performance without the punishment of jaw-loosening recoil.

Last edited:

Both cartridges are capable of launching a 400 grain bullet at 2300-2400 fps. Big difference is the .404 Jeffery is a larger diameter bullet (.422) vs. .416 which is actually a .416 diameter bullet. .404 Jeffery's are hard to find, and the ammo is hard to find as well. If you find one buy it, you won't regret it

A 400gr bullet going 2250 out of a 10# rifle is going to feel the same 416 vs 422 you will not be able to tell a difference.

Both cartridges are capable of launching a 400 grain bullet at 2300-2400 fps. Big difference is the .404 Jeffery is a larger diameter bullet (.422) vs. .416 which is actually a .416 diameter bullet. .404 Jeffery's are hard to find, and the ammo is hard to find as well. If you find one buy it, you won't regret it
My 404 is 1.5 years into the build. Downside of the 404 Jeffery is brass is as scarce as hen’s teeth. New loaded ammunition is the same. I hope that changes but I am definitely not holding my breath.

I would recommend you look into ammunition availability before a purchase.

Rifle in the 404Jeffery is an excellent choice.
I use Mauser M98 in 404jeffery.
$04Jeffery is very good caliber for dangerous game.

A lot of guys are chiming in on calibers, and giving some excellent advice. But! Lets talk platform for a minute! I think you should consider a Ruger no.1! They are a hoot to shoot, and due to the strength of the action, you can get a lot out of some of the classic rounds.

Last year I picked up a no.1 in a 450/400 nitro, which is often known as the 400 Jeffery. A classic cart, it launches a 400gr bullet at .410 diameter at around 2100fps. It essentially duplicates the original 404 Jeffery ballistics, but in a Ruger no.1 it is easy to get 2300fps without stressing anything (brass or action). At 2300 it duplicates the 404 Jeffery modern loadings.

The pros are how handy they are (very short), reasonably priced, and very accurate. The down sides are the single shot, and that you have to add a bit of weight to the stock (which is easy).

Well I had my sights on the Ruger Guide Gun/African in 416 Ruger but those plans may now be thwarted. Ive been in contact with distibuters and retailers who reached out to Ruger directly regarding new stock for these rifles. I've been informed that Ruger doesn't have any current inventory left for these rifles and has no production orders scheduled for the remainder of this year.

Is the Ruger M77 going to be going the way of the CZ 550 and Sako 85?

Options are getting slimmer by the day it seems.

Well I had my sights on the Ruger Guide Gun/African in 416 Ruger but those plans may now be thwarted. Ive been in contact with distibuters and retailers who reached out to Ruger directly regarding new stock for these rifles. I've been informed that Ruger doesn't have any current inventory left for these rifles and has no production orders scheduled for the remainder of this year.

Well....
Listen....
I don't want to lead you astray... But as a fellow Canadian, I think you should look at this consignment gun I saw the other day. Might be a bit bigger than you want, but you can always download to 500NE ballistics!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.34.11 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.34.11 AM Large.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.34.15 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-26 at 8.34.15 AM Large.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 48
A 400gr bullet going 2250 out of a 10# rifle is going to feel the same 416 vs 422 you will not be able to tell a difference.

You mean we can’t rewrite the laws of physics?

Well....
Listen....
I don't want to lead you astray... But as a fellow Canadian, I think you should look at this consignment gun I saw the other day. Might be a bit bigger than you want, but you can always download to 500NE ballistics!

Oh damn, Prophet River is doing some damage to my wallet this year.

What are the aftermarket options for a replacement stock?

Then you are asking two different questions at the same time. Caliber and brand/design. Also sounds like you have made up your mind and are hunting for opinions that agree with yours.

I am building a 404 Jeff on standard Mauser. I made my choice based on the history behind the cartridge/action (I'm a historian) and its reputation for temperate recoil (I've had multiple retina detachments). However, I made the decision before fully analyzing the ammo/components situation. Fortunately, shortly after acquiring the action a components deal popped up on the same auction site. For $330 US I picked up new CH dies, 89 new brass, and almost two boxes of Hornady 400 gr bullets. So I'm in pretty good shape. It's not a gun that will be spending a lot of time at the range anyway.

It seems most factory ammo made today is gassed up to 2300+ fps (400 gr bullets). I agree, with modern metallurgy it's just not necessary to push a projectile that heavy that fast to get the job done on dangerous game. Why don't manufacturers simply leave the 404 Jeff in the less recoil big bore niche rather than trying to bump it into 416 turf? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think the OP should give serious consideration to 404 Jeff. I'm sure it will continue growing in popularity. Ammo choices should improve.

I am building a 404 Jeff on standard Mauser. I made my choice based on the history behind the cartridge/action (I'm a historian) and its reputation for temperate recoil (I've had multiple retina detachments). However, I made the decision before fully analyzing the ammo/components situation. Fortunately, shortly after acquiring the action a components deal popped up on the same auction site. For $330 US I picked up new CH dies, 89 new brass, and almost two boxes of Hornady 400 gr bullets. So I'm in pretty good shape. It's not a gun that will be spending a lot of time at the range anyway.

It seems most factory ammo made today is gassed up to 2300+ fps (400 gr bullets). I agree, with modern metallurgy it's just not necessary to push a projectile that heavy that fast to get the job done on dangerous game. Why don't manufacturers simply leave the 404 Jeff in the less recoil big bore niche rather than trying to bump it into 416 turf? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I think the OP should give serious consideration to 404 Jeff. I'm sure it will continue growing in popularity. Ammo choices should improve.
Ladies & Gents,

I just proof-read my grumpy old man rant here.
And so, I apologize in advance to the OP and all others as well, for derailing this thread.

According to over 100 years of interesting history, maximum pressure / maximum velocity (= maximum recoil) are not needed with the .404 Jeffery.

High velocity is surely called for sometimes, in certain smaller calibers, in certain hunting scenarios, just not with the .404 and similar cartridges.
Be that as it may, I am all for somewhat higher velocity hunting cartridges, firing sharp pointed bullets, in some but not many circumstances.

For long shots at rodents and other vermin plus, a few worthy and usually smallish, hard to hit game animals residing in wide open geography / sparse foliage environments, reasonably high velocity (within recoil tolerance limits) and aerodynamic shaped projectiles are called for.
However, big game hunting, especially heavy / dangerous game hunting is, according to history, better served with large calibers and heavy, blunt shaped bullets, traveling at somewhere between about 2,000 fps and 2400 fps.
The .404 Jeffery (400 gr bullet @ about 2125 fps) was one of the best and still is.

Ontario Hunter,

I agree with you.
Ammunition makers should leave the .404 Jeffery in its original 400 gr bullet / approximately 2125 fps loading.
Likely the reason it gained its awesome reputation would be due to a 400 grain round nose bullet, at that velocity.
The softer bullets of the time did not usually (not usually) break into fragments, when striking large heavy bones at close range.
They generally penetrated well and bagged many thousands of elephant, rhino and buffalo at that velocity.

Of course, when the jacket material was too thin (vintage Kynoch), unwanted bullet fracture and shallow penetration predictably occurred.
Other makers evidently used proper jacket material and at adequate thickness as well.
Because the .404 enjoyed an awesome reputation, up to and including with many well seasoned elephant hunters.

More than a few hunters these days speak negatively about any bullet designed with a lead core and contained within a somewhat harder material “envelope” or “jacket”.
Even when the envelope is malleable steel, they don’t want it.
The buzz term lately appears to be, “cup and core”.
That descriptor seems to be most often used in derogatory context suggesting inadequacy.
My best guess is that this stems from today’s wide spread fascination with extra velocity cartridge designs.
I do agree with them specifically when jacketed lead core bullets are too light for caliber and loaded to higher velocity than the design was intended for, it is no surprise, they deform too violently, often even shattering = too shallow of penetration.

I recall a fellow moaning to me that he had destroyed the skins on some small animals, while hunting in Limpopo District, South Africa, with either 120 or 140 grain Swift A-Frame bullet hand loads, via his 7MM Remington Magnum.
The Limpopo area is primarily thorn forest, which equates to almost all shooting will be at relatively short range.
This fellow was clearly annoyed that he listened to my suggestion (part of my suggestion) that he use A-Frames bullets.
The part he chose to brush off his sleeve, like a cracker crumb, was where I said something about his preferred cartridge not being the best choice for where he would be hunting.
And that, there are better choices for most (most) Africa hunting conditions, name your country of preference.
Also I suggested that, if he insisted on using the 7mm Magnum anyway, I strongly recommended 160 to 175 grain bullets.

Many folks among the buying public are evidently so enamored with uber-high velocity that, the rifle bullet makers are reducing if not discontinuing their round nose designs, in favor of pointed, boat tail designs.
I have seen a photo of live ammunition for sale, loaded with rather pointy mono-metal bullets, even in .5oo Jeffery, 570 grain, (and a relatively small hole drilled into the tip).
Anyone familiar with this excellent charge stopper, no doubt would tell us that, it is definitely not a long range round.
And so, a 570 grain, pointed bullet, loaded into it, makes little to no sense whatsoever.

It appears that most of the hunting world today is infected with Velocity Madness.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Ladies & Gents,

I just proof-read my grumpy old man rant here.
And so, I apologize in advance to the OP and all others as well, for derailing this thread.

According to over 100 years of interesting history, maximum pressure / maximum velocity (= maximum recoil) are not needed with the .404 Jeffery.

High velocity is surely called for sometimes, in certain smaller calibers, in certain hunting scenarios, just not with the .404 and similar cartridges.
Be that as it may, I am all for somewhat higher velocity hunting cartridges, firing sharp pointed bullets, in some but not many circumstances.

For long shots at rodents and other vermin plus, a few worthy and usually smallish, hard to hit game animals residing in wide open geography / sparse foliage environments, reasonably high velocity (within recoil tolerance limits) and aerodynamic shaped projectiles are called for.
However, big game hunting, especially heavy / dangerous game hunting is, according to history, better served with large calibers and heavy, blunt shaped bullets, traveling at somewhere between about 2,000 fps and 2400 fps.
The .404 Jeffery (400 gr bullet @ about 2125 fps) was one of the best and still is.

Ontario Hunter,

I agree with you.
Ammunition makers should leave the .404 Jeffery in its original 400 gr bullet / approximately 2125 fps loading.
Likely the reason it gained its awesome reputation would be due to a 400 grain round nose bullet, at that velocity.
The softer bullets of the time did not usually (not usually) break into fragments, when striking large heavy bones at close range.
They generally penetrated well and bagged many thousands of elephant, rhino and buffalo at that velocity.

Of course, when the jacket material was too thin (vintage Kynoch), unwanted bullet fracture and shallow penetration predictably occurred.
Other makers evidently used proper jacket material and at adequate thickness as well.
Because the .404 enjoyed an awesome reputation, up to and including with many well seasoned elephant hunters.

More than a few hunters these days speak negatively about any bullet designed with a lead core and contained within a somewhat harder material “envelope” or “jacket”.
Even when the envelope is malleable steel, they don’t want it.
The buzz term lately appears to be, “cup and core”.
That descriptor seems to be most often used in derogatory context suggesting inadequacy.
My best guess is that this stems from today’s wide spread fascination with extra velocity cartridge designs.
I do agree with them specifically when jacketed lead core bullets are too light for caliber and loaded to higher velocity than the design was intended for, it is no surprise, they deform too violently, often even shattering = too shallow of penetration.

I recall a fellow moaning to me that he had destroyed the skins on some small animals, while hunting in Limpopo District, South Africa, with either 120 or 140 grain Swift A-Frame bullet hand loads, via his 7MM Remington Magnum.
The Limpopo area is primarily thorn forest, which equates to almost all shooting will be at relatively short range.
This fellow was clearly annoyed that he listened to my suggestion (part of my suggestion) that he use A-Frames bullets.
The part he chose to brush off his sleeve, like a cracker crumb, was where I said something about his preferred cartridge not being the best choice for where he would be hunting.
And that, there are better choices for most (most) Africa hunting conditions, name your country of preference.
Also I suggested that, if he insisted on using the 7mm Magnum anyway, I strongly recommended 160 to 175 grain bullets.

Many folks among the buying public are evidently so enamored with uber-high velocity that, the rifle bullet makers are reducing if not discontinuing their round nose designs, in favor of pointed, boat tail designs.
I have seen a photo of live ammunition for sale, loaded with rather pointy mono-metal bullets, even in .5oo Jeffery, 570 grain, (and a relatively small hole drilled into the tip).
Anyone familiar with this excellent charge stopper, no doubt would tell us that, it is definitely not a long range round.
And so, a 570 grain, pointed bullet, loaded into it, makes little to no sense whatsoever.

It appears that most of the hunting world today is infected with Velocity Madness.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
"Velocity Madness" = "Long Range Shooting (not Hunting) Madness"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinceRaq97

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg