CZ safety operation

Altitude sickness

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I fondled two CZ 550 rifles today. My first time getting to first base with a 550.

one in 416 Rigby the other .375 H&H

My question is. Does the safety usually produce a very noticeable loud click.
I struggled to quiet it on either rifle. Even using index finger and thumb. Can they be toned down.
Thinking of trying to get to home base on one of them

Don’t worry about it. You will switch it out for a 3 pos. in short order anyway. :)
Mine is a 3 position and it was a very loud audible click. I sat watching tv moving the safety back and forth. My thumb got sore but gradually it did quiet down.

First of all, buy both the 416RIGBY and the 375H&H. These are no longer made and highly sought after.

Second, send them to Matrix for an upgrade #2 or (if money allows) #3 or #4. This is an investment that you will not loose money on. If you let them know about the noise of the safety, they will address it, however I've found it's very rarely a concern when hunting.

Lastly, shoot them until you are proficient and go hunt Africa!

the .375 is in the American model $1300
The 416 Rigby is in the Classic wood $2100
Who doesn’t appreciate fine figured wood over synthetic.
A question on the American model. Is the action and barrel quality the same ?
If so I think I can get the .375 for $1000-$1100
It’s in a store that doesn’t move these kinds of rifles well.

IMG_0208.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are enablers

Back to my original safety question. I like the position, and the on-off function. Just not the noise

I have found that the simple act of removing or turning off my hearing aids makes most annoying noises go away. :LOL:

Back to your issue. I had CZ 550’s with the aramid stocks in 375 and 416. I put some oil on the safeties and played with them for awhile and the click was barely noticeable. That was with hearing aids.

Safe shooting

I’ll buy the .375 for sure and take it to Williams Gunsight, I’ve had action polishing jobs done there in the past. I’ll ask them about quieting the factory safety. I actually like the function and position of the safety.

Not sure I’m in need of a 416 Rigby

I never sent any of my CZ's for improvements/upgrades. I just shot the heck out of them and they smoothed out. All have been very accurate and functioned out of the box. However, the work done by the well known CZ gunsmiths looks and feels nice.

Safe shooting

I’ll buy the .375 for sure and take it to Williams Gunsight, I’ve had action polishing jobs done there in the past. I’ll ask them about quieting the factory safety. I actually like the function and position of the safety.

Even if you don't need the .416, in a couple of years you may be able to make a few bucks by selling, thereby making the .375 even less costly.;):)

Need has nothing to do with it. Get it because it's a very high quality out of production rifle in a very highly desirable caliber. Your investment in the 416 will pay for the 375 in time.

First of all, buy both the 416RIGBY and the 375H&H. These are no longer made and highly sought after.

Second, send them to Matrix for an upgrade #2 or (if money allows) #3 or #4. This is an investment that you will not loose money on. If you let them know about the noise of the safety, they will address it, however I've found it's very rarely a concern when hunting.

Lastly, shoot them until you are proficient and go hunt Africa!
Sorry guys but Matrix is no longer in business, some other guy in Colorado is supposed to be going to do that type of work but I can't remember his name or where he is at. what we need is someone right out of gunsmithing school to be taken under the wing of a really good Mauser gunsmith and learn everything then start his own shop

just saw that Dan at Bullseye Gunsmiths has taken over at 303-868-9459 but says basic gunsmithing services so call and see what he will do or is qualified to do

Sorry guys but Matrix is no longer in business, some other guy in Colorado is supposed to be going to do that type of work but I can't remember his name or where he is at. what we need is someone right out of gunsmithing school to be taken under the wing of a really good Mauser gunsmith and learn everything then start his own shop

Matrix Gunsmithing is the outfit in Colorado that replaced American Hunting Rifles a couple years ago for working on CZ rifles. Are you saying Matrix is now closed as well or are you confusing Matrix with AHR?

Matrix Gunsmithing is the outfit in Colorado that replaced American Hunting Rifles a couple years ago for working on CZ rifles. Are you saying Matrix is now closed as well or are you confusing Matrix with AHR?
I was confused as well.

From there home page...see the black arrow I inserted.
1690062710517.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeramyHead

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!