CZ 550 Safari Magnum feeding problems

bpcr

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I own a CZ Safari Magnum in .458 Win. Mag. Recently it has started to jam as the shell was coming up out of the magazine. I tried some different things but last night it felt like the magazine spring might be a little week. Out of desperation I opened the floor plate and stretched the spring by hand and damned if it didn't go to working like it ort to. Has any one else had this problem?

I have noticed the magazine spring in mine is a little weaker than I'd like.
I have not encountered feeding issues in my 375 though.

Might just be a prudent idea.

I believe I'm gonna invest in a spare spring just in case.

After stretching it like you did, I think that a good idea. It obviously helped for now, but not sure how long that will or will not hold up.

Yes another spring would be good to have around for sure.

By the way, welcome to AH!

I appreciate y'alls advice men. I'm a new member and have never been to Africa. I bought this CZ .458 Win Mag a few years ago so I could learn to shoot and reload for a bigger rifle. It sure ain't like shooting a 3006. But I'm saving up my money to go.

Welcome!

And what Phil and Brickburn said.

@bpcr,

Keep saving and planning, its fun, and there is lots of knowledge and help on this site for planning that trip!

Welcome to AH sir!

G'day and welcome. Every rifle can have the odd 'issue'. You found the solution so pts to you.

welcome to the forum!

if you keep having issues with your CZ, talk to Wayne at americanhuntingrifles.com. he does a lot of work on these rifles and im sure he can point you in the right direction.

-matt

Harlan Satrang at Triple River Gunsmithing (aka the CZ Custom Shop) can fix you up with a heavier spring. He did for me.

G'day and welcome to the forum. I have heard of several people that had feeding issues with the CZ550. Mostly it was to do with rounds from the left side-from memory- failing to feed. As others have said, get a new heavier spring and talk to the smiths they mention. The 458 is known for feeding problems in the CZ550 but the longer Lott case does not seem to have these issues. If yours had this problem then you have found the cure without having to resort to feed lips and feed ramp work and that I like.(y)

welcome to AH , as far as the feeding problem is concerned , CZ550's are pretty simple to solve small issues like this - good luck .

Gentleman,
Have just received my 550 Safari Magnum .458 Win Mag back from AHR. It is feeding superbly after Wayne done his magic. I appreciate the advice from this forum on the matter. Save up for Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg