CZ 550 .416 Rigby RAFFLE

I'm thinking a fleece shirt, not extra padding.

Evoshield shooting shirt or Leadsled or both!
http://www.evoshield.com/en-us/protective-gear/men-s-protective-recoil-shooting-shirt

Screenshot (296).png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I screw up the rifle renovation I can always add a little extra with one of these. Thx.

I was not going to try to match the wood. My life is too short.

It is not completely finished, but I have added 1.25 inches / 32mm to the butt made from Gabon Ebony.
The Ebony is incredibly hard and dense. Working with it was interesting.
Then a Pachmayer Decelerator Pad to the end of it.

The surface refinishing will start again. Polishing and Tongue oil.

I'll give this new version a try on July 1. You have to join in the National Birthday Celebration somehow, it might as well be making some noise.

IMG_5671.JPG

There is a mud bank an hour out of town that has 16 bullets in it. If anyone is interested in doing some digging to determine terminal ballistics I will be more than happy to provide the coordinates for your own geocaching adventure.

(I fib, there are at least two of those bullets that will be nothing more than shrapnel after destroying respective rocks.)

The Ebony extension on the stock did the trick.
As far as recoil is concerned. There is still no doubt the rifle goes off, but at least it is pushing backward more than climbing.
My thumb never got to meet my lip again. :A Banana:

We made this little session a social occasion and a pair of young guys were game to dent a couple of primers.
I made sure they were holding the rifle properly.
Nothing but awe and smiles at the end of it.
"I want to get one"

I have twenty empty brass awaiting some powder and the 350 grain TTSX that I will be finding soon enough.

If anyone is interested in doing some digging to determine terminal ballistics I will be more than happy to provide the coordinates for your own geocaching adventure.
Only if they are Hornady DGS or DGX....Wait, sorry, wrong thread

Only if they are Hornady DGS or DGX....Wait, sorry, wrong thread

If you want evidence to join that thread with real gusto, I'll give you the coordinates. :)

As you can see, using this measurement, which, again, is relative, so should work for our purposes, the .416 is considered "very painful."

well it boots a bit but wouldnt say its anywhere near "very painful"..........

I was out in the field again this past week and I can say that it does provide a bit of a boot.

I had the arsenal out for some try outs.
.22, .270, 30-06, .300Win Mag, 375 H&H and the 416 Rigby of course.

The Rigby is the clear "boots a bit" winner.
After shooting it, the 375 H&H feels like a nice little rifle.
The rest, what recoil.
I have determined through experience now, it is all relative.

Last edited:
I was out in the field with again this past week and I can say that it does provide a bit of a boot.

The Rigby is the clear "boots a bit winner".
After shooting it, the 375H&H feels like a nice little rifle.
The rest, what recoil.
You are 100% correct!!!

I was out in the field with again this past week and I can say that it does provide a bit of a boot.

The Rigby is the clear "boots a bit winner".
After shooting it, the 375H&H feels like a nice little rifle.
The rest, what recoil.
I might have said this before, but I had a CZ .416 and sold it because I didn't like the kick. If you're mentioning it . . . you're not a small guy!

But my new Rigby-made .416 Rigby seems to kick far less. Better balanced, or better weight, hard to tell. But I'm not selling this one!

I might have said this before, but I had a CZ .416 and sold it because I didn't like the kick. If you're mentioning it . . . you're not a small guy!

But my new Rigby-made .416 Rigby seems to kick far less. Better balanced, or better weight, hard to tell. But I'm not selling this one!

Oh, this one fits now.
In comparison to the first shots without it fitting, it is a dream.
Rifle fit matters. I can now state that unequivocally from first had experience.

I am shooting it with a T-shirt on. No complaints, it is just not a plinker. I have zero doubt the Rigby build would fit much better than my efforts, but alas....

Oh, this one fits now.
Rifle fit matters. I can now state that unequivocally from first had experience.

I am shooting it with a T-shirt on. No complaints, it is just not a plinker. I have zero doubt the Rigby build would fit much better than my efforts, but alas....
I'll make you a deal. When I decide to sell mine, you can have first call on all the raffle tickets!

I'll make you a deal. When I decide to sell mine, you can have first call on all the raffle tickets!

If I have not used up all my luck by then, I'll give it a shot.

Oh, this one fits now.

I highly recommend you get a few jars of TrailBoss. It's really phenomenal how light it shoots. My plan is to use it for trigger time and maybe mix a few in with regular cartridges to work out any flinch I develop. I am using that technique to help my boys shoot better. The only downside is that it smells like a fart.

We will have to see what 100 grains of anything "shooting light" looks like.

Yesterday was the first test of any accuracy from this rifle.

400 grain DGX (emptying them to get the brass for reloading, honest)
But at least they grouped reasonably well.

I'd love to say this was off the sticks at some incredible distance, but alas, only fifty yards.
I do need a scope to really test accuracy to the true extent I want.

Two sets of three quick shots. I yanked the one shot right.

Now the next truth. I was aiming at the BIG cross.

Apparently I,
1. Hold the gun strangely. I did not center the front bead in that rear site properly when shooting quickly.
2. How I was using the sticks may have impacted m accuracy. I was holding down on them with some pressure.

Practice will make perfect with these issues.

IMG_5927.JPG

Still a nice grouping there, and at that range I'd say you're shooting within one NOW: "minute of animal"

For irons I'd call that a good group and adjust them accordingly. What distance do you intend to zero the gun for? If it is under 75 yds. or so, do you really need a scope for that distance?

Still a nice grouping there, and at that range I'd say you're shooting within one NOW: "minute of animal"

That's a pretty good description for how I felt about it. Not close enough for me yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sherlene05

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.