CZ 550 416 feeding issues?

I've had feeding issues with my custom Mauser 98 in 404 jeff from the get go

Gunsmith completed the build without testing that it would feed correctly - just single fed rounds into the chamber

Cycling the bolt with 3 rounds in mag caused the top two rounds to push up above the raceway as they were not held correctly by the feed lips

Also ....

Safety did not engage as inletting was poor which blocked the full throw of the slide lever safety

Rifle returned

A year later send back to me with safety still not working and solution to the feed issue was unfixed - gunsmith merely put a weaker follower spring in !

Now sent to another gunsmith who sent it away to have feed lips rebuilt using laser welding.

That has now been done and gunsmith is fettling the feed lips to ensure correct feeding

He has warned me that if it doesn't solve the problem then the action is beyond recovery

The rifle is for work whilst taking groups on walks through the bush

If it will not work 100% under all conditions then it is merely a wall decoration !!

this is exactly what I am talking about. The 404 in a Mauser is a very tricky operation - often requiring that the stock itself be used as the magazine walls as Jeffery often did. The issue with retention is often not with the rails, but the front of the magazine box. When done right, it is very wide, if not wide enough, the rounds will stack and not be held by the rails. This is an example of how one thing leads to another with a Mauser. A guy might blame the retention issue on the rails or spring, but it’s the magazine box.

it all starts with the cartridge. Build the action around that first and things will generally fall into place.

this is exactly what I am talking about. The 404 in a Mauser is a very tricky operation - often requiring that the stock itself be used as the magazine walls as Jeffery often did. The issue with retention is often not with the rails, but the front of the magazine box. When done right, it is very wide, if not wide enough, the rounds will stack and not be held by the rails. This is an example of how one thing leads to another with a Mauser. A guy might blame the retention issue on the rails or spring, but it’s the magazine box.

it all starts with the cartridge. Build the action around that first and things will generally fall into place.

So I might not be out of the woods yet !

I love Mauser 98s - but if it cannot be made to work properly i'll ditch it a look for a 404 jeff barrel & Bolt for my Blaser !

I purchased the same model for my DG hunt in South Africa a few years ago. Price point was a big concern and wanting a crf, hence the CZ 550 choice. It took a bit of polishing while watching hunting videos, trying to get as much info on DG hunting. One thing I found while reloading rounds, I used Hornady DGX 400 gr for practice and sighting in and they did not feed well, I think it was the profile of the bullet itself on the feed ramp. As i was not going to be using them for hunting it was not a big concern. I chose the Swift 400 gr A frame and 400 gr breakaway solids. they fed without any issue. Both the Hornady and Swift loaded rounds were the same C.O.L, for what its worth. Have fun and enjoy your new CZ
Just FYI

So I might not be out of the woods yet !

I love Mauser 98s - but if it cannot be made to work properly i'll ditch it a look for a 404 jeff barrel & Bolt for my Blaser !

Maybe not! You might send a note to Jim Wisner. I helped him put together a PDF of his process of doing this very operation. It is not easy and not for the inexperienced. But Jim knows exactly how to do this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.35.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 11.35.27 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 55
My CZ 550 in .416 Rigby cycles everything that I've ever put in it just fine.

The only thing I would change is the bolt knob. I could cycle and shoot it much faster if it didn't have the hole with somewhat sharp edges.

My CZ 550 in .416 Rigby cycles everything that I've ever put in it just fine.

The only thing I would change is the bolt knob. I could cycle and shoot it much faster if it didn't have the hole with somewhat sharp edges.

Wayne at AHR fills them - the place he sends folks to now for the upgrades, Matrix gunsmithing, I think does them too.

M70 Winchesters with the coned breach have no feeding issues at all.
I have seen one with an issue but generally they are better. I cannot say this strongly enough, every make of rifle can have a problem and ALL need to be thoroughly tested. By testing I mean put yourself under pressure with time constraints and competition-over and over. Dummy rounds are great.

Exactly correct sir ! The geometry of the stacking is dependent on the magazine width and is the start point for correct feeding.

My brother has a CZ 550 in 416 rigby. Every few months, he has to take the steel plate magazine out and the sides will be bowed inwards. We assume from recoil. This narrows the magazine and if he doesnt fix it, the rifle spits the second round (sometimes the third) out when you eject the first.

Von Gruff did a thread with the exact info to do the maths. I used that and a thread found elsewhere to fine tune my CZ550 in 458 Lott. It will now feed a backwards solid ie a calibre sized flat meplat. I did a thread on those mods somewhere on this site too. DIY was not difficult but it bent my brain and took hours of tweaking.

Would you be willing to share your pdf of the process ?

That's where I have the issues with my Lott. Its round #2 and #4. The ones that feed from the left side of the mag. It is currently being worked on but they already sent it back once and it was a complete mess. The rear of the bolt where I had the 3 position safety installed would come unscrewed at will. The trigger job felt like a red rider BB gun trigger and it still jammed the 2nd and 4th round. I literally unpacked it and was on the phone with the Smith in less than 10 min after unpacking it. They did pay for the return shipping and swore they would correct it. I hope that is the case but I don't have a great deal of faith.

Wayne at AHR could fix that for you if he's still doing that kind of work. He's a wizard at CZ 550s. He mostly builds custom rifles now based on the CZ 550 action.

Exactly correct sir ! The geometry of the stacking is dependent on the magazine width and is the start point for correct feeding.

My brother has a CZ 550 in 416 rigby. Every few months, he has to take the steel plate magazine out and the sides will be bowed inwards. We assume from recoil. This narrows the magazine and if he doesnt fix it, the rifle spits the second round (sometimes the third) out when you eject the first.

Von Gruff did a thread with the exact info to do the maths. I used that and a thread found elsewhere to fine tune my CZ550 in 458 Lott. It will now feed a backwards solid ie a calibre sized flat meplat. I did a thread on those mods somewhere on this site too. DIY was not difficult but it bent my brain and took hours of tweaking.

Would you be willing to share your pdf of the process ?

I am double-checking with Jim Wisner to see if he has any further edits to it since it’s his work - I’m just the graphics guy. Once any edits are done I should be able to share it. Jim used to send out regular emails with pics and the process.

A question for some of the CZ guys out there. Do the CZ 416 have the reputation for the feeding issues like the 458 do? I have a 375 and it feeds like a sewing machine, but as any of you who have read my other posts know I have some issues with my 458 Lott and I understand that is kind of a common issue with that caliber in the 550. I know there is a possibility of having an issue with any rifle but was just curious if it was as common in the 416 as it is in some of the other ones?
The CZ 550 chambered in 416 Rigby has a control round feed. It has a massive extractor. It feeds and extracts flawlessly! It is one of my favorite rifles.

The CZ 550 chambered in 416 Rigby has a control round feed. It has a massive extractor. It feeds and extracts flawlessly! It is one of my favorite rifles.
My CZ 550 416 Rigby feeds and extracts my reloads flawlessly as well with one exception. Hornady 400 gr DGX and DGS (the older versions) did not feed well. I did not use them when hunting, only for practise. When comparing the bullet profile of the Hornady to Swift bullets, there was a noticeable differrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]